Machew1031's Thundercats Collection

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Collector's Showcase' started by machew1031, Feb 25, 2017.

1. machew1031

machew1031 Junior Member

Hey everyone! Fairly new to the forum but not in Vintage Thundercats collecting. To me there was no better cartoon or toy line than Thundercats. Had a decent collection about 5 years ago but sadly sold it off for personal reasons. But in the last year I've started into getting it back. So just wanted to share a bit of my humble collection so far. Thanks for stopping by!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

That is far from humble! That is a collection to be proud of already.

3. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

You are too humble. Your collection on the other hand is stupendous!!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Some pretty rare boxed and MOC pieces, and all in pristine condition! Many congrats! :)

4. machew1031

machew1031 Junior Member

Thank you guys:) really appreciate the kind words! I'm very much enjoying everyone's collections on here. They are inspiring

5. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

Beautiful collection and presentation! You will be running out of space in no time lol! Keep us updated on your new additions.

6. luketommo2

luketommo2 Vortex Explorer

Did you recently win the laser saber from eBay or is this another one in existence as I know robimus has one

7. machew1031

machew1031 Junior Member

Thank you so much:) yeah I'm def running out of space hahaha!

To my knowledge this is the one Robimus owned and it is the one from eBay:) the seller told me he bought it off of him when he was selling off his TC collection. I checked the afa serial number on their site and it was graded around the time Robimus had it, so the stories seem to line up. I was able to get it at a better price from eBay thankfully haha. Do you know if more have been found since then? From my research on the forum and others this is the only one I could find and also hearing the rumors about the collector in Spain. But that was all the info I could gather as far as Lion-o version goes. I know there's the Mummra, and multiple Ben Galis.

8. luketommo2

I was considering buying it but due to the terrible GBP to USD rate I didn't get it.
    I bought one of the laser saber Bengalis and sold it via eBay a few years ago to MadBubbler.
    Me and robimus bought them via a UK toy website shenanigans toys. Shenanigans sold some moc thundercats via eBay and after said for people to visit their website to buy any others. The items they had on the website was.....
    Laser saber Bengalis
    Laser saber Mummra
    Laser saver liono
    Thunderings liono
    Luna lasher Mummra
    EACH FOR £150!!!!!
    Crazy eh.
    Robimus bought most of the above and when I looked all that was left was the laser saber Bengali
    The story from shenanigans was they bought the massive lot from a private sale and we assume they were either a collector or worked for one of the toy manufacturers.
    The laser sabers are Italian and yes no other sabers have turned up yet. They were either prototypes or maybe there are others in existence....Somewhere!!!

machew1031 and Wilycub like this.
  9. Wilycub

I have a feeling that there might be some of them.. somewhere! There are some collectors who don't like to post pics of their collection, for various reasons. :(

The reason there aren't as many of these MOCs I feel is simply because every kid who bought them back in the 80s opened them up! :biggrin Back then "collecting toys" wasn't something that as many adults did as the do now. Back then these were just toys for kids to play with and so naturally there are very few MOC that would survive until today. Many of the ThunderCats MOC that we see today have come from unsold stock of shops and not from people who actually bought them and decided not to open them.

I don't think that these are prototypes. It would be far too expensive to create the molds for the vacuum forming bubble plastic and the printed card backs for just a handful of these toys. But since so few of these have appeared in the limelight, they might as well be prototypes! :)

adssse and machew1031 like this.
  10. machew1031

machew1031 Junior Member

Wow 150 pounds each is an absolute steal! Wish deals like that would happen to me haha! And that's awesome that you owned the Bengali , Luke!

Thank you guys for shedding some more light on these mysterious Laser saber figures. I agree with all that was said. In all my years in TC I've never seen any other than the few on this site and my Lion-o from Robimus. Any case they are ultra rare for sure. I think what Wilycub was saying makes great sense as the money invested in production would be too great for it to be a prototype. And it possibly only got released for one small production run hence the rarity? Something similar to the Mego Wonderwoman figure. I always enjoy hearing any info or opinions on the Laser saber figures:)

Wilycub likes this.
  11. Wilycub

That is quite likely. In general, ThunderCats toys produced/packaged in some countries like France (CosmoCats) and Italy were made in much smaller numbers compared to those released in the U.S.A, U.K or Europe for example. That's why many of the MOC/Boxed TCats toys we see today are either LJN, Rainbow Toys, or Grand Toys.

I've only seen one or two MOC of CosmoCats Lion-O/Mumm-Ra, Playful Thunderwings Lion-O, Glasslite Lion-O/Tygra/Panthro/Cheetara. So just like the Laser Saber ones, these two were most likely produced in small quantities and most of those were opened up by eager kids! ;)

So far the Laser Saber Captain Shiner still remains to be seen/photographed........... along with Big Foot and the Loch Ness Monster. :biggrin

Mark M and machew1031 like this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

What about a picture of Big Foot on Nessie's back holding a Laser Saber Captain Shiner. ;) :roflmao

Wilycub and machew1031 like this.
  13. machew1031

machew1031 Junior Member

Yeah that seems very possible. I know as a kid myself there was no way I was leaving those figures on card haha! You look at that factor plus small numbers runs will equal super rarity. Speaking of rare Playful figures there's a moc Playful TW lion-o on eBay now. The guys asking a pretty penny for it:/

I've heard rumors of the Shiner LS! Has anyone claimed to see one before?

The most epic picture ever lol :D

Mark M and Wilycub like this.
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Until today I had never heard of Laser Saber Captain Shiner. I have seen a Laser Saber Bengali.

machew1031 likes this.
  15. luketommo2

16. Wilycub

In one of the LJN Mini Catalogs, the four laser sabers were featured with four figures wearing them.
    [​IMG]
    In the U.S. the Laser Sabers were packaged and released alone, without any figures. But in Italy, the toy company Al-Es released the Laser Sabers packaged with the figures. So far we have seen Bengali/Orange LS, Lion-O/Blue LS, and Mumm-Ra/Red LS. So looking at the mini catalog, we all have assumed that a Captain Shiner/Black LS must have been released. We have just yet to see one.:)

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

WOW! :geek:biggrin It's strange I have never seen these Laser Saber pics from the LJN mini catalogs.

machew1031 and Wilycub like this.
  18. Wilycub

There were a number of different Mini Catalogs produced. Some had pics of the prototypes as well while others omitted them. You can check out all of them here: http://thundercats.org/collecting/toys-main/ljn/ljn-mini-catalogues/

Mark M, adssse and machew1031 like this.
  19. machew1031

machew1031 Junior Member

That is freaking cool! As Mark said I've never before seen these either, cool post Wily! Judging by these catalogs and the figures we do know to exist from these, there's got to be a Shiner out there somewhere

Mark M and Wilycub like this.
  20. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Cool collection, yo!

machew1031 likes this.