Mad Bubbler by MannysCollectibles

Discussion in 'Fan Art & Customs' started by MannysCollectibles, Jan 15, 2007.

1. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

After wanting a custom one for so long I decided to start making my own. Snarf seems to be an excellent candidate for the custom job. The head of Bubbler had to be sculpt and it is starting to take some shape. The arms of old Snarf will be shaved and the fingers reduced to 4. The feet will be shaved as well and shaped like the one shown on the card backs. This is just early work but as I continue working I'll post more pics. Any tips or tricks on making a custom will be most welcomed. Here's the latest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Berbill

Looks to be off to a good start. Are you using Sculpey for the medium, or another type of clay?

I ask, because I've considered using it over base frames before.. but I'm a bit worried that the baking/curing process will ruin (melt or soften) the base and wreck the whole figure.

3. matt

matt Thunderian Legend

4. MannysCollectibles

I was worried about the same thing...believe me, but after reading an article online on how they actually placed the whole figure in the oven my worries lessened. Sculpty so far is working great, just follow the baking directions and you'll be allright. You can even rebake it if you see that you need more layers on the figure. I have started 2 projects...the Mad Bubbler and my somehwat risque version of Cheetara :)

5. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Berbill

Great to hear.. thank you of the info. Turning hours of work into a nice clay puddle was my biggest worry.

Heh.. I have to confess, my project goal is to create a risque version of Pumyra. :mischievous: Other figures and scenes come to mind.. and I'll give them the ol' college try, but Pummy will always be first and foremost.

6. MannysCollectibles

Small update :)

[​IMG]

Another Update:

[​IMG]

7. dan07

dan07 Glass Walker

Hi Manny,

Instead of using Sculpey, you may want to try Aves Apoxy Sculpt or Aves Fixit Sculpt. You don't have to bake it...after you mix the two containers, you actually have a few hours to work with it, and then it solidifies. You don't have to bake the figure and it's a great product. I've used it on my customs. Here are two links that'll tell you everything you need to know about the product including where to find it.

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/jinsaotome/FixitSculpt.html

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/jinsaotome/apoxiesculpt.html

I used Aves Apoxy sculpt on my custom Cyclops for his hair, visor, wrist and leg cuffs, and the yellow body belt. Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

8. MannysCollectibles

Thanks for the tip Dan, Im going to keep on working on this one and after Im done I will try to pick some of that Apoxy Sculpt. I ant to get it as detailed as possible and it may take me several times to make one but after Im done with it my next step is to produce them so people that want one can have one at an affordable price

9. dan07

dan07 Glass Walker

Sorry - forgot to mention this earlier. Your work in progress looks great!

10. MannysCollectibles

Well I finally finished my custom Mad Bubbler, I still have to do a few touch ups here and there but this is basically the final product. This is also my very first custom piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. matt

matt Thunderian Legend

very nice. It looks pretty dang good for a first custom. You also finished extremely quick, impressive

12. Vintage

Vintage Glass Walker

Very good Manny, specially being your first work!

Just a question: The original, that was never released was supposed to be how high? As high as Lion-O ? Panthro? Any hints?

In the cartoon I remember it was kinda big, but I don't think they would release a toy that big! :)

13. MannysCollectibles

Compared to the 6 inch figures it was supposed to be slightly shorte than the Stinger but I figured since its kinda tough to make it that tall I decided to go with a smaller version. My next project will be Dragonstein from the Tigersharks toys

14. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

That isn't half bad to be honest. Well done Manny!

15. kzlambert

kzlambert Illustrator & Animator TC.org Staff

I agree with everyone else, very good version Manny, sculpture is not easy. I would do some more deffinately you might have a hidden talent for this sort of thing my friend ;)

16. MannysCollectibles

Thanks guys your comments very much appreciate. As I type this I am basically finished with th unproduced Tigershark toy Dragonstein. I sjould have a new thread in a few hours or so

17. mesepher

mesepher Moleman

Way to go dude. That thing is absolutely awesome!

When are you going to start producing them in mass quantities? :panthro:

sweetness!