Masters of the Universe Classics buck with Ljn Vehicles

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by blackiecats, Feb 22, 2016.

1. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

I know the question has come up in a few places if the new ThunderCats Classics figures might be compatible with the old Ljn vehicles so I took these pictures (I only had a Mer-Man to hand at the time and I think some MOTUC figures are a little shorter)

From first impressions he doesn't look too bad, but I think he's slightly too big (again with characters like Panthro who will be shorter this might not be a problem?) It's definaitely evident looking at him on the Nosediver as his legs are slightly too long (though posing him slightly different might get him to fit better?) Anyway hope these give folks some indication of whether they will work or not.

Unfortunately these were the only vehicles I had to hand as my ThunderTank, Fist Pounder and Hovercat are all boxed up so didn't really want to unpack them because it meant going right to the back of my wardrobe and didn't fancy taking everything out! lol Nosediver1.jpg Nosediver2.jpg Nosediver3.jpg Skycutter1.jpg Skycutter2.jpg Skycutter3.jpg Thunderclaw1.jpg Thunderclaw2.jpg

Wilycub and englishw like this.
  2. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

Thank you for taking the time to do this! The vehicles are definitely too small for the figures, but I think the ThunderClaw looks good size wise. Good enough for display IMHO.

3. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I plan on leaving mine in the box but I don't think he looks half bad. Hopefully the line thrives and we get the vehicles designed for them!

4. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Very nice pics, sir! Thanks a lot for posting these. :)
    I'm not sure but I don't think that Panthro is going to be shorter. It looks to me like Mattel are using the same buck for him as for Lion-O (and probably will use the same for Tygra etc.) Again I could be wrong. I'm just guessing based on the pic of the prototype. ;)

Mark M likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I wish the Thundercats were getting proper cartoon accurate bodies.

6. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

They stated that Panthro has new tooling which will help him be slightly shorter than Lion-O (I know they pointed out the new parts when they posted pics of the unpainted prototype) and they said they will make sure they keep to the correct scale so character height varies like in the cartoon.

mmm... I'd forgot about my MOTUC Bow figure and since comparing him with Mer-Man, Bow seems to be slightly smaller. I'll see about taking some pictures with Bow instead as I probably should have used him in the first place :)

Wilycub likes this.
  7. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Looks like Mer-Man's branching out a bit. ;)

8. Wilycub

That's awesome! :thumbsup I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing the info. It's a great move by Mattel to take height variations into considerations instead of having all the characters the same height.

Mark M likes this.
  9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Some MOTUC figures are taller and shorter than others, but that isn't really due to cartoon accuracy...just changing body parts like heads and boots etc.
    [​IMG]
    I will give Mattel credit for their WWE line. When they took over from Jakks they gave all the figures scale height to match the real life wrestlers. Unlike Jakks who had Rey Mysterio figures the same size as Undertaker and Big Show.

Daremonger and Wilycub like this.
  10. Wilycub

LOL! :biggrin I'm sure that the Undertaker would have been pretty mad about this! If I recall correctly, the Hasbro made WWF figures were pretty much all the same size too, weren't they?

11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yeah I had a couple of those. Didn't really like them as they didn't move very much.

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

A standard MOTUC figure can sit in the Thundertank driver seat. I seen a pic of He-Man sitting in it.

13. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

Problem is that the LJN ThunderClaw was a lot bigger inthe cartoon:

[​IMG]
    The IH Prototype was pretty accurate, scale-wise:
    [​IMG]

14. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

Yes, the LJN version has always been out of scale, even compared to the LJN figures. Still, it makes for a nice looking little vehicle. I think I'll get one for the new figures, seeing that they are relatively inexpensive.

And here's the Thundertank with MOTUC He-Man, from an old Fwoosh article:
    [​IMG]
    (Boy, that 6 inch Lion-O is ass. I swear by the 8 inch version, it's such a fun toy. But this one? Ugh.)
    This one is a bit less interesting to me because you just KNOW that Mattel will make a new Thundertank, and sooner rather than later. Honestly, I bet we will get one next year.