Mattel Commemorative

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by MXTHUNDERCAT, Oct 3, 2015.

1. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

I don't quite remember if I started a thread about this or simply brought it up sometime around the 2011 revival.....but since we're getting new action figures and following in the MOTU footsteps....I wanted to see what other TC fans think.....I personally did not buy any MOTU commemorative not because I didn't like them, but because I kinda missed when those were released and I was too young anyways when the original MOTU came out in the 80s so I didn't have any nostalgia for the toys......but I would love to have a commemorative thundercats line....me of course being one of those super fans that grew up with the original toys.....last time I suggested this, the postings were divided....some suggested they would devalue the original....which I think is a misconception......originals will always have a greater value.....but for some that don't have a vintage collection,it's a great option.....re-live ur childhood for a fraction of the price...imagine buying a commemorative driller or Bengali .....of course this all depends on LJN licenses....or if the molds could be created to replicate these vintage toys...anyways....curious to see whet fans think.....

Mark M and Daremonger like this.
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

A commemorative ThunderCats line sounds like a great idea!

MXTHUNDERCAT likes this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Since my the plastic on my original figures was deteriorating and I ended up selling my entire Thundercats collection I would love and gladly welcome the chance to get the original LJN figures again. :biggrin
    The MOTU Commemorative figures did nothing to the value of the original MOTU figures.
    I can't see why any fan would be against the reissues. Fans should be happy that collectors will be able to relive childhood experiences, fill holes in their collection and get the toys they had for their children.
    But of course there are those 'true fans' who will complain about the money they invested in collecting the vintage line. The way I see it, it's collectors' choice as to how much they invest in their hobby.
    If Mattel did make reissues of the LJN figures it's not as if they would do the entire line or release stuff like Tonguasarus etc.
    This scenario also reminds me of G.I. Joe convention exclusive set that was released a few years back. It was a highly sought after set because of the characters included. Needless to say scalpers grabbed them up and not all fans got the chance to purchase it and over the next couple years the price sky rocketed on the set. But the Hasbro reissued the set to allow collectors who didn't get it the first time a second chance to get it. Needless to the scalpers and childish collectors were not pleased. On one hand the scalpers that bought them and put the prices up got what they deserved. But on the other was the utter childish mentality of the collectors not being pleased that other collectors would be able to have a set that was rare that they were able to brag about owning.

MXTHUNDERCAT, Wilycub and Daremonger like this.
  4. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I would gladly welcome a commemorative line!

MXTHUNDERCAT and Daremonger like this.
  5. cgdc76

cgdc76 Active Member

Count me in too! I would buy them all.

6. Daremonger

If there are any existing LJN ThunderCats molds, maybe Mattel can license them. :mamutt

MXTHUNDERCAT likes this.
  7. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I'd MOST DEFINITELY buy the entire commemorative line, if Mattel ever decide to pursue it! :) For years I've been yearning to complete my LJN collection (since I never had a full set in my childhood), but the prices for some figures are just ridiculous! One could easily buy 20 figures or more from the proposed Commemorative Line for the current price of one loose Driller Figure. :00

Mattel did it with MOTU and Playmates did it with the original TMNT line (there have been so many TMNT toy lines that it's hard to keep track at times! :)) so why not give us a ThunderCats line as well? I seriously doubt that they would in any way devalue the original toys. Besides, that's probably not what Mattel would be concerned about. Their aim is to produce a profitable product and I have no doubt that a ThunderCats commemorative line would be VERY profitable for them. And also, if Mattel ever do decide to go down this road (I sure hope they do!), then they'll probably make some minor changes to the figures, like the print at the bottom of the figures' feet will read Mattel and the year that they are produced, so it should be easy to tell them apart from the original line.

I don't think there would be any licensing problems as LJN is a defunct company. That is why David Crichton was able to use a picture of the LJN toys for the cover of his book "Hear the Roar!" as there were no copyright infringements. He could not use any images form the cartoons as those were owned by WB.

As for the technical aspects of such an undertaking, I doubt if it would be an easy task to get a hold of the original LJN molds. Most have been lost or destroyed and the few surviving ones are in the hands of collectors who probably won't part with them. But with today's technology of 3D scanning etc, I don't think it would be difficult to make new identical molds using the old figures as a base. And the figure making process has probably undergone significant changes since the 1980s so I doubt if the old molds would be that useful either way. ;)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  8. Daremonger

Digital scanning of the old LJN figures would definitely help out Mattel.

MXTHUNDERCAT and Wilycub like this.
  9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Exactly. They could do slight differences like cartoon accurate colours. That's a good point about the TMNT reissues I believe this is the 2nd or third time they have reissued the original toys. Look how many times Hasbro/Takara have reissued Transformers and G.I. Joes multiple times over.

MXTHUNDERCAT, Daremonger and Wilycub like this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Just thinking a nit more. Other smaller franchises have reissued their classic toys for new and old fans to enjoy also. Like Voltron, Robotech/Macross and Power Rangers.
    Even Kenner/Hasbro reissued a lot of the original Star Wars vehicles and a few older figures. Come to think of it Hasbro are still releasing those vehicles LOL. Which is great for the fans is great because certain vehicles complete on the secondary market can cost quite a bit but when you are able to pick up a reissue even if it is in a slightly different colour it allows to get that piece you wanted, and enjoy that feeling of getting it brand new and opening it and applying the stickers etc.....I think I want to buy some Star Wars vehicles now LOL.

11. Daremonger

May the Force be with you. :3

MXTHUNDERCAT and Mark M like this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

When I collected Transformers and G.I. Joes the reissues made it really easy to get brand new versions of the toys I used have and the ones I never had.

13. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

IM GLAD TO SEE %100 POSITIVE RESPONSE TO THIS PROPOSAL!.....Like i said when i brought it up a few years back it was VERY divided.....I think its a great way to fuel up and revive the popularity of TC....its all pros for this idea...cheaper, collectors fill gaps in their collections, nostalgic reasons etc....Lets voice our willingness to support a commemorative line or TC figures, Mattel has been AMAZING at listening to fans......maybe they will read this thread and begin working on it...CONTINUE TO POST YOUR OPINIONS ON A COMMEMORATIVE LINE PLEASE!!!

Mark M and Daremonger like this.
  14. Daremonger

I so want Mattel's regular ThunderCats line to be successful enough for them to launch a commemorative line. ^_^

MXTHUNDERCAT likes this.
  15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

A bit unrelated but considering how many high quality G1 Transformers knock offs there are I am surprised one of those companies isn't actively selling remoulds of the vintage figures.

16. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

I will most definitely support a commemorative line! I own a couple of the MOTU Commemorative figures, and it is awesome to have these MOC and just see that old packaging in front of you like when you were a kid! Maybe we should raise this issue in our next Q&A for Mattel and start getting the word out that this is a fan request that will help spark the ThunderCats toy brand again ahead or in conjunction with the Classics line!!

MXTHUNDERCAT, Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree 100%.

18. Daremonger

Me, too, bro.

19. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

I agree, we as fans should voice this to MATTEL, so far theyve been good at listening to the MOTU fans..lets show them TC fans are just as enthusiastic. Lets make sure they know we want and will support a commemorative line. Like Gerrit said the excitement of seeing that old packaging and the LJN figures would be such a thrill. Id feel like i traveled back to my childhood....instant nostalgic gratification!....please voice it in the Q & A...if someone from here or anywhere gets to interview MATTEL people please ask about a commemorative and tell them fans want it!

Daremonger likes this.
  20. Daremonger

You got it!