Mattel Quality Control

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Mark M, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Okay, I know this is a bit soon but we may as well get this out of the way now rather than when it is too late.
    Yes we are all excited that Mattel got the Thundercats licence and they will be in scale with their MOTUC figures.
    However the big question is, has Mattel's Quality Control improved?
    I haven't really bought any Mattel figures in a few years. But I owned several MOTUC, DCUC and numerous WWE figures and a few had quality control problems. Most notably warped limbs and being wrongly assembled and having duplicate parts.
    I know to some in the US this might not be a problem but for us UK buyers this is a major issue and one that will no doubt affect peoples attitudes towards buying their products. If we buy figures from comic shops here or on EBay the general response from the sellers is that it is not their problem and to take it up with the manufacturer.
    Is anyone that regularly buys their MOTUC, DCUC and WWE figures still noticing quality control problems with their figures or is it less common?

2. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

I've not had any problems with MOTUC in years (since Swift Wind was released in 2012?) I did have a figure arrived with the blister crushed, but I easily sent back for a replacement (return postage was paid by Mattel)

If you have any defective figures it's easy to send them back and get them replaced. However if you decide to buy from anywhere outside of MattyCollector, then that's the risk you take I'm afraid. That's not something Mattel can control, so your best buying direct from Matty.

3. Mindless-Focus

Mindless-Focus Junior Member

Nor have I had any problems since 12/13ish. The above mentioned problem was the last I was aware of.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yeah at the time when MOTUC started they would not accept my credit card so I had no choice but to buy from EBay and a friend in England who had a couple subscriptions. As for the DCUC, they were not available in retail shops here in Ireland.
    Hopefully Matty will accept my current debit card.

5. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

I cant complain over quality in MOTUC in the past few years, have 99% of the figures, and very little to none issues.

6. TMNachoT

TMNachoT Crabman

I have only purchased the batman figures from dc multiverse (based on burton bat films), so not to much to say other than thanks god thundercats classic are not going to be make by Playmates

7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Playmates really dropped the ball with their Turtles Classics. Great figures but were far to slow in releasing new figures. Still at least they made 4x heroes and 2z villains. I would have loved if they had done Shredder, Krang, foot Soldier, Splinter, April and Casey. Hopefully they will announce new figures at Toy Fair.

8. TMNachoT

TMNachoT Crabman

Playmates doesn´t take seriously this franchise. How come they are going to stop producing those figures when a lot of people are still looking forward to buy more, maybe there were some profit issues.

9. Lynxana

Lynxana Junior Member

I've been collecting MOTUC for about 6 years now. And percentage wise I've not had a problem with about 98% of them.

Collectors tend to only focus on the ones that have something wrong with their figures and they're the ones that get talked about the most unfortunately.

I have a lot of faith that Mattel will give us great figures.

Oh, and I live in the UK by the way and have only had to send 1 item back, the others have been minor issues that I've fixed myself.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Mark M likes this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I should have pointed out that while I had various quality control problems with Mattel figures I only had one with MOTUC and that was the first He-Man figure as his shoulders were assembled the wrong way round, but that was it.

11. darrkknight

darrkknight New Member

I've been a MOTU Classics subscriber since the beginning. I have noticed gradual quality improvement over the years. I've been lucky with no major problems. I've purchased for several friends as well. Only problem with one figure few years ago between all of us. The most common one I've seen/read are clear plastic pieces/figures. Clear plastic just isn't as durable, more subject to cracking.

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That is good to hear.

13. Guys, I hate to be the bearer or realistic bad news, but Mattel has been consistently drooping the ball on QC issues for years and it is still happening. The exclusives or Twistoid and Rotar have QC issues with their waist pegs that are used to separate the torsos from the legs, they are breaking off - and this is a SDCC exclusive set that people paid $70 for.

Here is a REAL list of many of the failures of Mattel over the years. Hope for the best, but expect the worst. Please note that some are a fan's personal preference and not a true defect:
    1. Bronze King Grayskull - Weak ankles that break easily and frequently.
    2. SDCC King Grayskull - Weak ankles that break easily and frequently
    3. He-Man (1st release) - Clown make-up, reversed shoulders, weak ankles that will not allow figure to stand
    4. Beastman (1st release) - Weak ankles that will not allow figure to stand
    5. Skeletor (1st release) - Reversed shoulders or two of the same shoulders (not sure if true)
    6. Stratos - Wings glued on wrong, two open hands so cannot hold weapons, no accessories (later fixed at our expense as pack in with Goat Man)
    7. Zodac (1st release) - Reversed shoulders or two of the same shoulders (not sure if true)
    8. Hordak - Boob tube armor
    9. Man-At-Arms (1st Issue) - Reversed shoulders (not sure if true)
    10. He-Ro - Crossed eyed, paint peels off of sword
    11. Teela - Bobble head
    12. Zodak - Missing unhelmeted head (latter fixed at our expense as Strobo pack in, but unhelmeted head does not glow in the dark)
    13. Scareglow - Very brittle neck that breaks easily, thin plastic piece to attach cape that rips easily (doesn't seem to be a significant issue?)
    14. The Goddess - Exploding hips
    15. Adora - Leotard is wrong
    16. Trap Jaw (1st release) - Weak ankles that will not allow figure to stand
    17. Battle Cat - Bobble head
    18. Moss Man - "Not a bath toy", flocking comes off when wet
    19. Wun-Dar - Weak ankles that will not allow figure to stand... and loaf of bread looks like rye, yuck! (kidding!)
    20. She-Ra - Skirt hinders articulation, unable to sit on Swiftwind, hole in her forehead
    21. Keldor - No MYP double sword (latter included in weapons pack, but we had to pay extra, which is not cool)
    22. Count Marzo - Head peg is smaller than all other figures, resulting in bobble head when you change heads
    23. Orko - Bleeding paint apps and Prince Adam "accessory" missing the (sculpted, but FORGOTTEN) sword holder
    24. Mo-Laar - Weak ankles that will not allow figure to stand
    25. Roboto - Cracking Chest Piece and reversed shoulders
    26. Grizzlor - Second head shown in promotional materials but not included with figure
    27. Stratos vs. Hawkman - Stratos' wings are glued on wrong, two open hands so cannot hold weapons (I thought that was just standard Stratos with glued wings?)
    28. Palace Guards - Lt. Spector has an ugly face and it is highly disrespectful and narcissistic to insert the brand manager's likeness into the line
    29. King Hiss - Revered shoulders and rubbish gummy snake form
    30. Panthor - No flocking
    31. Catra - Gummy hand
    32. Faceless One - No skirt piece like the actual character, just a long loincloth piece, also has a FACE
    33. Clawful - Missing 200x head, when figures like Whiplash received this treatment
    34. Queen Marlena/Glenn - Marlena has an evil queen facial expression, Glenn is supposed to be white not green, plus Cringer is passed off as an actual figure, but lacks articulation
    35. Batlte Armor Faker - Made from really cheap plastic that is clearly very different from the rest of the line
    36. Leech - Net rips very easily, flat belly when waist is turned it looks unnatural
    37. Hurricane Hordak - Vac metal chips easily
    38. She-Ra vs. Super Girl - She-Ra's skirt hinders articulation, unable to sit on Swiftwind
    39. Snout Spout - Foam trunk cracks
    40. Swiftwind - Two left front legs or two right front legs and wings fall off way too easy
    41. Bubble Power She-Ra - Cheap stickers on head gear
    42. Battleground Evil-Lyn - Wrong leotard (the opposite of what the fans asked for), not a true 200x version as promised
    43. Wind Raider - Display stand too small to "hover" the vehicle above the figures when displayed in flying position
    44. Star Sisters - All 3 have granny panties and Tallstar falls apart easily.
    45. Sorceress - Huge drums for wing attachment, articulation hindered and cannot properly sit in CG throne
    46. Fisto - Head too small
    47. Fearless Photog - Cracking head
    48. Kobra Khan - Catch "lip" on elbows that hinders articulation
    49. Thunder Punch He-Man - Pale as a ghost
    50. Draego-Man – Bobble head, paint rubs off hands, accessories cut but later fixed at our expense in weapons pack
    51. Stinkor - Reversed forearms, lack of paint aps on accessories
    52. Mighty Spector - The very fact that this is even a figure is offensive, plus it says "SEX" on his arm
    53. Horde Prime - Lack of paint aps on face and body, accessories cut but later fixed in weapons pack
    54. Griffin - Wings fall off way too easy
    55. Spikor - Blastic, gummy accessory, fat suit
    56. Vykron - Cheap accessories, blastic, and diaper for Skykron (Space Ace)
    57. Sir Laser Lot - Blastic
    58. Mekaneck - Blastic, broken mouth piece connectors, paint peeling off of neck
    59. Dragon Blaster Skeletor - Blastic, dragon head sculpt is not open mouthed (cost cutting)
    60. Snake Men - Blastic
    61. Frosta - Gray paint instead of white and reversed forearms, final head sculpt turned out just plain wrong
    62. Rattlor - Missing 200x armor, later fixed at our extra expense with weapons pack (also, blastic)
    63. Cy-Chop - Cracking chest piece (many complain the scissors are too large)
    64. Great Unrest Weapons Pack - Blue shield doesn't match color of Evil-Lyn (although it is intended for her), green Clawful club that we already have in a slightly different tone of green
    65. Filmation Randor - Bicep swivel is absent, no slits in skirt results in figure being unable to sit anywhere
    66. Castle Grayskull Man - Hair is too yellow
    67. Temple of Darkness Sorceress - Same stupid drums, hindered articulation
    68. Granamyr - Reports of widespread breakage during assembly
    69. Netosa - Missing head piece and paint on cape flakes easily
    70. Jitsu - Head too small
    71. Ram Man - Uneven legs, helmetless head has no neck and hovers above figure
    72. King He-Man - Face sculpt Looks like a different person, not He-Man
    73. Strobo - Missing gun, later fixed at our expense in weapons pack
    74. Snake Face - Fat suit
    75. Octavia - Leotard is wrong, non-articulated tentacles
    76. Clamp Champ - Missing lines that connect tank to pincher clamp, shrunken head
    77. NA He-Man - Shrunken head (Deformed too)
    78. Stondar and Rokkon - Missing leg bands, brittle and oversized attachments, butt flaps
    79. Shokoti - Leotard is wrong, no flight stand for Darkling
    80. Sky High - Fat suit, "Jet Sled" is the wrong name, where is the back of the Battle Ram?
    81. Nepthu - Missing paint applications on face, looks like a good guy
    82. Horde Troopers - Armor sits too low, battle damage is unimaginative and destroys the "look" especially for collecting multiples
    83. Sea Hawk - Fat suit
    84. Castle Grayskull - Has stupid hole in the floor, has stupid floor that does nothing but elevate the ground to make room for stupid hole while at the same time minimizing clearance to first floor, small dome room and new orb holder renders Temple of Darkness Sorceress' orb holder useless, Sorceress cannot sit in throne properly (slits were made for her tail, but not her arm wings
    85. Spirit of Hordak - Cape is pinkish instead of red
    86. Two Bad - Uneven legs, feet too small, hard plastic shield rubs paint, heads too close together, straight down the middle cost cutting paint feature
    87. Glimmer - Leotard is wrong
    88. Modulock - Cannot detach at waist, now miraculously we are told that this may be possible with Multi-Bot (i.e., we were lied to that this was a safety issue rather than a design flaw), Y neck piece is too big
    89. Hyrdon - Fat suit, gummy accessory
    90. Unnamed One - choice of the Kowl display stand hinders articulation (see Orko for reference), bleeding and fading paint apps, BS figure that is supposedly a "love letter"
    91. Goat Man - Fat suit
    92. Blade - Missing paint apps on sword, only comes with one vintage sword, vintage sword is oversized, hilt of movie sword is red when it should be black
    93. Scorpia - Ugly orange paint on shoulders that is the wrong color and cheap bendy tail
    94. Battle Lion - Wrong scale is a total cheap out
    95. Extendar - Huge gold belt, forearms are too long, gummy accessories
    96. Flogg - Hordak feet instead of Modulok feet that match vintage, helmet is glued down when it should be removable
    97. Double Trouble - Ugly ass face, poor design on head (double chins), Matty actively tried to hide this by using photoshopped drop shadow on official released images
    98. Filmation Hordak - No Filmation head, only one changeable arm, Imp Box is limited which is an insult to fans who can't be at SDCC, comes with a pointless repainted staff which was NEVER part of the Filmation character
    99. Flutterina - Cheap wing
    100. NA Skeletor - Reversed shoulders and fat suit that is supposed to be “skin”

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

All true but to be fair some of those aren't exactly QC, just design/engineering on Mattel's part.
    Unrelated but, I recently bought a set Amazing Spider-Man 2 Marvel Legends on sale for £5.99 each and a Captain America. My first buys in a couple years and I must say Hasbro's QC has really went down hill. All the Spider-Man characters with the exception of Carnage have issues.BlackCat- poor paint and a cracked hip joint, Beetle- poor paint, Amazing Spider-Man, poorly assembled hip and one leg sit out farther to the side than the other, Superior Spider-Man- Same hip problem, and torso not glued together very well, Ultimate Green Goblin- Awful paint on the legs and made from a gummy plastic.
    The Captain America is made from a really soft plastic and doesn't stand straight as his legs are a bit warped.
    I also bout Thor which overall is fine but the knee joints seem very soft.
    I got a couple Mattel Young Justice figures and with the exception of Sportsmasters head being attached leaning to one side I had no real issues with them.
    I really must say though that these purchases after about three years not collecting have been very disappointing. I will probably just sell them on eBay or give them to my cousin.
    Hopefully the Mattel Thundercats will fair better.

15. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

I don't think this is a QC issue list ... this looks more like a "I have an issue with every MOTUC figure" list. :)

Mark M likes this.
  16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Although G1THUNDERHEMANFORMER does make some good points about some very questionable decisions on Mattel's part.
    Regardless of the design decisions, they can be got over, but getting toys with QC problems is a bigger problem. I recently read on another site that to return faulty products to Matty Collector there is X amount of days to return them once they have been shipped and regardless of the days it takes getting to the UK if it is past the return window date you cannot return them. I hope this is not the case.
    This is very off putting for me regarding a Thundercats or MOTU subscription.

17. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

I've been a MOTUC subscriber now for four years, and it is really not nearly that bad. Yes I've had a small mispaint here and there, but nothing so bad I couldnt live with. The guys make it sound far worse than it is!

Mark M likes this.
  18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Mispaint isn't that big of a problem but broken limbs or wrongly assembled figures cannot be tolerated.

19. darrkknight

darrkknight New Member

I've had to contact Digital River a couple times a year. Their general customer service is incredibly inept. Thankfully, someone found and posted another number that allows one to speak with someone who can actually fix things. They even have someone specifically assigned to deal with Mattycollector problems. I haven't had any problems now for almost three years. However I will note that it's always more difficult for international customers. The figures aren't perfect, they're toys but I will tell you I have no problem getting any to stand. Half of my Marvel Legends are nightmares to stand. Floppy joints. The quality of Marvel Legends compared to MOTU Classics are not close. Can I find a problem with my figures? Every single one. But I find it outweighed hugely in favor of what is right and enjoyable.

20. Robear

Robear Junior Member

Aside from that list which is nitpicky IMO, the MOTUC line has had quite a few QC issues (some widespread some not) with the majority of the line-up. Mispaints? Not on every figure and certainly not on everyone's figures, but they are out there. I know some people who have had some crappy luck and almost all of their figures, beasts, and vehicles have QC issues ranging from tiny to very noticeable. I've been lucky with my collection and haven't had too many QC issues, but I'm not going to completely dismiss the fact that Mattel cuts corners and has no remorse for selling defective items at premium prices just because my collection happens to be fairly decent as far as QC goes. Yes, paint app issues, reversed shoulders/arms, two of the same legs/feet are all defects as far as I'm concerned, and should not have been sold to the public. Mattel doesn't know the meaning of the term QC. ;)

Mark M likes this.