Mattel's Tygra figure prediction by Wilycub

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Wilycub, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

2. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

Looks good, but I think the colors are off, (imo). as far as the build goes, its probably going to be pretty close. but it looks to short stocky to me for Tygra.
    Pic for color.
    [​IMG]

Good mockup btw!

Nelson likes this.
  3. Wilycub

Thank you for your comments, ninja cat. Regarding the stockiness of Tygra, well I have used the Mattel Lion-O as a base on which I built the Tygra. So if he looks stocky then it's the Mattel buck which is shaped that way, and I'm sure that they will use the same Lion-O buck for their Tygra figure as well so he'll probably be kinda stocky. :)
    Regarding the color, yes in the cartoons Tygra's outfit does appear greyish for some reason but the actual color is greenish. I have based my colors of the outfit on the actual animation cel colors of Tygra, like this one below:
    [​IMG]

4. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

yeah probably a better base for colors, but I still think your mockup is to green.

Nelson likes this.
  5. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I would be very happy with something closely resembling that!

Wilycub likes this.
  6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think the size of the head should be slightly reduced and the shade of green on his clothing changed a bit lighter. Aside from that great job. :D

Nelson and Wilycub like this.
  7. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Your Tygra mockup looks pretty good, though I'd tone down the green just a little bit.

Nelson likes this.
  8. catgurl

catgurl Moleman

That Tygra is FANTASTIC!!!! I absolutely LOVE it!!!! Wouldn't change a thing. Not even the color. I think the green looks perfect just the way it is. The picture itself is set in a low light/dark shadows scene so a light bright green would look horrible. I think it's amazing. Don't change a thing, Wilycub! :)

9. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Great lookign figure Wileycub. I would echo what MArk said about the head, it's definitely a bit big. I think if you tweaked the colours a bit too it would help. They look different to the reference cel you posted.

Nelson and Mark M like this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I you should reduce the head size by about 1/4. Also that whip needs to be about 3 or 4 times longer if he's going to be able to wrap it around himself to turn invisible.

Nelson likes this.
  11. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

Absolutely stellar job, Wilicub! I tried doing something similar the other day but for Snowmeow, but didn't have the patience to finish it, haha.
    I must echo what others have said: it would look better if you tone down the greens, reduced the size of the head, and make the whip longer.

Now, and this is a very personal preference, when Tygra gets produced in this line I would prefer to see him sport a more serene expression, as he and Cheetara always seemed (to me) the most zen characters in the original group.

EDIT: I took the liberty to recolor it and reduce the head by 2%. I hope that's OK.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Wilycub and Daremonger like this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I know this is a slight nit pick but I would like to see the orange fur with a little more red in it. I always remember in 'Berbils' Tygra's fur looked a lot redder than usual.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Daremonger likes this.
  13. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Good work, Nelson. ;)

14. Booshman

Hey Wiley, I had a tinker with the head size and colours. They look good on my work PC but it's not a calibrated monitor so I could be well off.

[​IMG]

I think that the size of the production head wore more likely be around the size Nelson has it, based off what they have done with Lion-O, but I would prefer it smaller.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Daremonger, Mark M and Nelson like this.
  15. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

I prefer this size too but yeah he would look inconsistent with the rest of the line. Darn MOTUC buck.

Mark M likes this.
  16. Wilycub

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! :)

Booshman and Nelson: Great job with the modifications! I myself wanted to make the adjustments after hearing the suggestions that people made here but just haven't been able to get enough free time to do so. But thanks to you guys, now I don't have to! ;)

A lot of people are complaining about the head size. Well as I said in my second post here, I drew the Tygra on the image of the first Lion-O figure prototype that was released by Mattel. I didn't make any changes to the proportions of any part of the figure as I was hoping to maintain the continuity look of the figures when pictured side by side. So if the head looks a tad big, blame Mattel! LOL! :biggrin

Exactly!!!! The Tygra figure's greens still look pretty accurate to me because my monitor is calibrated quite differently than other people's. I spend a lot of time on the PC and thus have reduced the brightness and contrast WAY down. It reduces the strain on my eyes but messes up with color accuracy.

Regarding the length of the Bolo Whip, well I just picked a random length since the whip in the cartoon is extendable. From being completely hidden inside the handle to extending for many many meters. I didn't draw the whip too long as I did not want it to drag on the ground.

P.S: Nelson, the watermark on your image really made me laugh! :biggrin

Daremonger, Mark M and Nelson like this.
  17. Booshman

I'll have to wait until the figures are in hand, but if the heads look as oversized in person, I might have a crack at reducing them. I know you can get product that shrinks and I've seen it used before to reduce the scale of head sculpts. Something to keep on the back burner for a future project anyway. :)

18. Wilycub

I've actually never heard of such shrinking products before. Do you happen to know the actual name of the product? Do you apply it on the sculpt or do you sculpt with it? Just curious as I'm hoping one day to get into customizing figures myself. :)

Mark M likes this.
  19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Hence why I am not too thrilled with the Thundercats classics line LOL.
    I know Wilycub. :D As I said the MOTUC buck proportions on the Thundercats look very off.

Wilycub likes this.
  20. Booshman

I'll have to see if I can find it mentioned again and get a brand name for you. It's a rubber product that shrinks, that can be used to make a mold. When you cast the new resin copy it will be smaller.

Edit: Here's some info

http://www.smooth-on.com/faq_display.php?faq_id=79

There are also products when cast will shrink, and you can make a new smaller mold from them, such as Reducit II, Hydroshrink or Hydrospan.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Wilycub likes this.