Mattel's Tygra figure prediction by Wilycub

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Wilycub, Mar 18, 2016.

1. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

I'll start by saying you shouldn't go by the cel colors. They create the cels knowing that the colors will change in broadcast. So the final broadcast colors should be the final (and intended) colors IMO. I saw people in the matty forums saying the same thing about Lion-O's skin; that it should be more orange instead of the more human looking skin from the broadcast.

Secondly don't forget the line right in the middle of his hair. I don't think it should be sculpted like in the Mezco fig, but rather treated like a thin stripe.

And finally his "widow's peak" should be squared off more and not as round. Tygra's hair was pretty angular above his forhead.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Daremonger likes this.
  2. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

I would agree that the cels shouldn't be taken as definitive reference for colours. I would also add though that the condition of the broadcast tapes used for the DVD's are very inconsistent with quality, and in some of them the colour is really off. I notice people on various forums using screen shots from episodes to make a point about accurate colours, where the colours are clearly wrong, either because there is a tint to the entire image, or it's over saturated, or washed out. I think some of the best reference is from the first episodes of season 1, from what I recall they are in pretty good shape compared to some of the later stuff.

Daremonger and Nelson like this.
  3. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Thanks for your comments, balgus. I'm always excited to hear any critique from a fellow artist! :)

Regarding the cel colors, well I've personally never noticed any vast difference in the cel colors and those that were broadcast, apart from Tygra's. Sure there were some variations as the broadcast versions weren't as bright or vibrant as the cel colors but Tygra's was the only one which I found to be poles apart. Even in the broadcast, Tygra's colors varied from episode to episode, as evident in the screenshots below:
    [​IMG]

I went with the cel colors because I felt that these were probably meant to be the "official" colors of Tygra. That is why there is no Tygra toy or sculpture that has the broadcast colors. Almost all of them have the cel colors. Also because I personally like the cel colors! :) I guess in the end it comes down to personal preference. There are fans who like one color scheme and fans who like the other. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what colors Mattel decide to go with.

I've always thought of that line as a parting line that was drawn in ink, just like the rest of the figure. It never really occurred to me that it might be a convergence point for the stripes and so I didn't show it on my mock-up figure as such.

Good point! I guess I didn't pay too much attention to that, but you are absolutely right about it. I should have made it more angular.

Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  4. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

Mark, I must agree with you this time .... the MOTUC buck doesn't look right for Tygra!

Mark M likes this.
  5. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

Agree on all points except for the line in the middle of Tygra's hair. I am certain that is not a stripe.

Mark M likes this.
  6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I prefer the greener colour as it is a nicer contrast for the character when standing next to the other characters.

Daremonger and Wilycub like this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I also don't think it will look right for other characters either like Bengali, Jaga and Lynxo. It is too broad and muscular.

8. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

Maybe th 4H will come up with a leaner body that can work better for these type of characters. ;)

Mark M likes this.
  9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Hopefully...but since they didn't do it for MOTU characters I doubt they will do it for Thundercats. Some New Adventures characters would have really benefitted from a leaner body. Even a leaner body alone used with the standard limbs would be better especially for the characters they insist on making thick armour for.

10. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

True, but I think they now learned from their mistakes .... hope so! ;)

Mark M likes this.
  11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Hopefully...but Mattel LOL. ;)

12. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Most definitely groovy. ^.^

13. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

I think it's part of the stripes, because he pretty much always had that line. No matter what angle the head is.

If it's not a stripe it would have to be a parting line for his hair.

As for colors, to each their own. I can actually concede the point about the green contrasting more with other characters (seeing how Lion-O, Panthro, Jaga AND Bengali all wear blue).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I personally always classed it as a parting as Tygra is shown to have rather thick bushy hair. As it is head hair. But on an actual tiger's body it doesn't have thick long bushy hair. However the tiger stripe pattern on the back does meet in a point.
    upload_2016-3-25_10-24-30.png

Daremonger likes this.