Matty Collector 2016: Pumyra (Tweaks)

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Lionus, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Lionus

Lionus Junior Member

Hey folks,
    Forgive me if this has already been covered, but since there's still time before release, I wanted to draw Matty Collectors' attention to a few things about Pumyra that could use some tweaking...

1. Her bottom lip. It's a little too pouty and squared off. In the original series her bottom lip was more rounded.

2. The white tips of her locks. Again, referencing her likeness from the original series...there should be more white exposed on her locks.

3. The top of her head. The shape is wrong. It's too dome shaped. In the series it was more concaved. Actually, the original figure nailed the shape and balance of her hair pretty much spot on to the cartoon.

Here are some quick refs from the series. The last link is one of the figure...

http://www.myniceprofile.com/cartoons-113679.html

http://pershinggallery.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_info.asp?ItemID=319736

http://www.cheezey.org/Thundercats/gallery/pumyragallery.html

https://www.google.ca/search?q=thun...AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=559#imgrc=8jadQ8CxPfGTNM:

At this point those adjustments just may be enough to make her spot on. Until then, it's hard to tell.

What does everyone else think?

Daremonger likes this.
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Your words are quite sound. The Pumyra figure could use a little tweaking even though I don't find anything wrong with it.

3. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

I agree 100% with you. I posted a picture with proposed changes some weeks ago. It seems it makes sense to post it here again.
    [​IMG]
    Another thing... I'm a breast man, so believe me it feels very weird to complain about this... but the boobs on tbe prototype are a tad too big and surgery-enhanced looking. I know, I know, I sound like a perv now. Oh well

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Your alterations look far better.

Nelson likes this.
  5. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

I like your alterations except for the lips. Your lips look like she is making a duckface to me. Kind of like she is puckering. Granted she looks angry in the Mattel version but I'm ok with that. Don't think a smile would work either. I do feel like the 4horsemen always struggle with female faces though so I understand the critiques.

Nelson likes this.
  6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It's really strange how their female face sculpts are not that good. With MOTUC I suppose some of that can be blamed on the animation models the way Filmation designed the characters....but on all the lines they have worked on the female face sculpts are very hit and miss.

Nelson likes this.
  7. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

I took your altered version and implemeted some of the proposed changes. I added back the original lips, but made the bottom lip less wide, I also decreased the size of her bust.

[​IMG]

Daremonger and Nelson like this.
  8. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

Perfect! Now let's print it in 3D

The reason my version had weird duck lips is due to limited Photoshop skills. I tried to get rid of the duck factor but that's the best I could do. So thanks Booshman for your fix.

Berserker likes this.
  9. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Ah the good old days when LJN released and people just went along the figure lol

Once again the figure looks great! No complaints from me, even though the Mattel Version looks like Rhonda Rousey:D

Nelson likes this.
  10. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Well I don't have much room to criticize anyway because I have zero photoshop skills:D

Nelson likes this.
  11. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

You and Nelson did great in slightly changing up Pumyra. ;)

Nelson likes this.
  12. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Your initial version did most of the work, it was already 90% there, just needed a little tweaking. Your suggestion about the bust was worth doing too.

Nelson likes this.
  13. Ancient Spirit of Evil

Ancient Spirit of Evil Junior Member

The proposed changes all look great, but is it too late in the game for the Horsemen or Mattel to make them? While I was ok with the figure as-is, after seeing the changes I agree that they work to make Pumyra more cartoon accurate.

14. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Moderator TC.org Staff

The minor changes are good, but I don't mind the way she looks now. I actually like it a lot. If that's how we get her, I'll be pleased. Improvements are obviously always welcome, but I'm very happy with the way she looks, long neck and all :)

adssse likes this.
  15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Regardless of how good they get the prototypes to look, it won't matter if Mattel decide to make engineering/design changes of their own. just look at the Filmation He-Man. They completely ruined that figure:
    They changed the boots and made them thinner so the leg muscles do not line up at all.
    The new ankle joints are awful looking.
    The sword is not cartoon accurate in shape or colour.
    The sheath on his back does not hold the sword properly.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  16. Sebastiaan

Oh boy, I honestly hope it doesn't end up a mess! That would be tragic.

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Let's hope so. There are a lot of MOTUC figures that looked good in the prototype stage that got ruined. NA Skeletor and Rio Blast especially.
    This is one of the reasons I will not be subscribing. It is a shame as Mattel used to make amazing toys.

18. Sebastiaan

Here's hoping we get quality end products. I think they'll probably try and put out the best now so that those not subscribing can feel comfortable with the next lot for 2017 and then the 2016 ones will start selling for quadruple on ebay.... :)

19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I hope they don't start selling for quadruple prices other wise I will quite easily pass on the whole line. :)

20. Sizz-Lor

Sizz-Lor New Member

They won't be cheap it appears, judging by BBTS preorder prices.

With MOTUC there was no way I was subbing given all the characters from PoP, etc. I didn't want, but Thundercats I'm definitely on board for a sub. Who wouldn't want Mummy Mumm-Ra, and the prices it's gonna be elsewhere are reason enough to sub up.

I'm also happy Matty is listening to the fans this time, as opposed to with MOTUC, and have made some changes to Pumyra:
    https://www.facebook.com/MattyColle....115075.57309659843/10153930951194844/?type=3

Sebastiaan and Ianm1225 like this.