Matty Collector 2016: Pumyra (Tweaks)

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Lionus, Feb 20, 2016.

1. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Ya, it does seem Mattel is listening. The new changes are spot on! I was already very pleased with the figure but now it just looks amazing!

2. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

And to think how much fuss was made over people being "negative." People said changes were needed, and just like with Lion-O, Matty responded!

Honestly this might actually be slightly cheaper for them in the long run too. Shorter neck/smaller face, should mean less plastic they have to use.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Daremonger, Mark M and Nelson like this.
  3. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

YESSSS!!! Thank you, Mattel!
    Guys, if we don't speak up when changes are needed, if we "wait until we have the figure in hand" to make comments, then there'd be no chance of seeing improvements.
    Thank you, 4 Horsemem!

4. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

To be fair I don't think anyone was arguing over the proposed tweaks to Pumyra. I think it was more the fact that some members wanted to tear the whole line apart. I'm all for positive changes in figures. I agreed and was very happy with the changes to Lion-o and now Pumyra.

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Now if only they would do something with Lion-O's claw shield. ;)
    I am very happy they altered Pumyra as of the 5x figures she is the one I had most of an issue with. I really like Pumyra and did not feel the prototype did her any justice. But I am much happier with this new head sculpt.

englishw, Daremonger and Nelson like this.
  6. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I saw the altered Pumyra head sculpt, and I really love it!

Nelson likes this.
  7. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction New Member

I think something more in between the two would have been better, but the new one is an improvement. Looking at the unpainted sculpt I'm starting to feel part of the problem with the lips was the paint. Now how about making panthro's face less of a caricature.. though if nothing is done he's still pretty amazing.

Daremonger likes this.
  8. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Moderator TC.org Staff

Nice job on Pumyra Mattel. Loved the old version, but will wait until the reveal the painted version of the new sculpt to give proper comments. I do approve of the hair being fixed though. Will wait for the mouth's painted version to see if it works well - right now it looks like she's pouting hahaha, but who knows, paint makes all the difference. I'm so happy Mattel takes notice of us. So happy I subbed!

Daremonger likes this.
  9. Mindless-Focus

Mindless-Focus Junior Member

10. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

Well done guys!

11. Sizz-Lor

Sizz-Lor New Member

I notice that mostly everyone on this forum seems to be happy with the changes, but the Matty forums and Facebook have quite a few people who do not like the changes, and feel the original sculpt was more accurate. Personally, I prefer the revised version.

12. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

I noticed this too. I was very surprised to see a lot of the posters on Facebook that hated the redesign. In the end you can't please anyone and I assume that Mattel has to weigh out the feedback and see that more people asked for changes to be made.

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I am surprised anyone would prefer the original over the more accurate revised version.

14. Sebastiaan

The original looked good, but I agree with the hair changes and shorter neck. Will give comments on the face itself as I see the jawline is now more rounded and the lips are "pouting". Paint can do wonders :D

15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I prefer the smaller rounder face. In fact...dare I say I am actually quite tempted to subscribe now LOL.

englishw, Ianm1225 and Sebastiaan like this.
  16. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

Remember a lot of the people in those places have been there long before the TCats line was even announced, so they're firstly fans of MOTUC and not necesarily fans of ThunderCats, and some of them are just casual fans. They might have old memories of watching the show or playing with the toys, but these memories are distant, leading some to think that, for example, Lion-O usually growls and shows his fangs (?) on every episode or whatever. Some of them don't even know who Pumyra is! So instead of getting an accurate representation of Pumyra in action figure form, they're more interested in seeing an angry elf-like warrior (the first head sculpt).

Mark M and Sebastiaan like this.
  17. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

I agree with Nelson. I think those saying they preferred the first head are the MOTU fans who simply wanted MOTU basically cosplaying ThunderCats! The big ThunderCats fans seem to all be in agreement by the changes and prefer the figures to be show accurate, while the rest want (as former brand manager Scott Neitlich put it) 'Classicized' versions of the ThunderCats characters with unnecessary changes to their cartoon look or gratuitous unwanted extra details that spoil the original cartoon design :(

I'm glad they are listening to the cartoon fans and hope they continue to do so.

Mark M, Sebastiaan and Nelson like this.
  18. Sebastiaan

The more I look at the head the more I approve of the new jawline and lips. I already liked the hair and shorter neck, but I'm now sold completely Now I can't wait for the painted version!!!!

Mark M likes this.
  19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I would still prefer an entirely brand new male and female buck bodies different from the MOTUC figures, slimmer with better proportions and articulation for certain characters like Lion-O, Cheetara and Tygra etc.

20. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

I've only seen one post on the matty Tcats forum saying anything at all (positive or negative) about Pumyra's update.

As for FB that doesn't surprise me. People who aren't even subscribing will comment on it there just to complain.

blackiecats likes this.