Matty Q&A 1.0

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Mark / Grizzlor, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

In the next little while, we'll be reaching out to the folks at Mattycollector with questions about their ThunderCats line. We're obviously curious about their plans! So I'd like to assemble fan questions in this thread then we'll send over an edited list of questions and will share the answers back here in the forums.

We may tighten the rules on this down the road to make this more manageable when the forums get busier on this topic. But for now, go hogwild and ask whatever you like.

Cheers,
    Mark

-----------------
    Updated Aug 20 - Responses from MattyCollector in blue. In summary, the questions seem to be a bit premature as Mattel hasn't finalized most of what we're asking about. Unfortunately this Q&A won't shed much light but we'll bring you more news as it becomes available and we'll run another Q&A in a few weeks.

Mark / Grizzlor Q1 - What does the ThunderCats license grant you...

a) All vintage cartoon characters
    b) All vintage LJN toy characters
    c) All vintage comic book characters
    d) Silverhawks and Tigersharks characters
    e) 2011 reboot character designs
    f) All of the above?

A1 - For the time being we will focus on the 1985 classics series

C.L.A.W Q2 - Given that the main Cats won't be released together, what does the roadmap look like for release of the figures?

A2 - It looks awesome. *smile* You can expect a good mix of heroes, villains, allies and sidekicks with each wave that will be released.

Mark M. Q3 - How many ThunderCats figures are likely to be revealed at Powercon?

A3 - Planning for Power Con is still underway, at this point it is too early to say.

adssse Q4 - Are you considering re-issuing the original LJN figures? ie: re-produce identical version of the 80s figures

A4 - Not at the moment.

Wilycub Q5 - What are your priorities around LJN's unproduced prototypes? (Mad Bubbler, Red Eye, Feliner, Thunderstrike etc.)

A5 - There is potential for us to look into those as possible figures.

blackiecats Q6 - What are your priorities around characters from the cartoon that were never made into figures in the vintage Ljn toy line (for example Willa and Mandora the Evil Chaser)

A6 - There is potential for these figures as well

Mark M. Q7 - Are you working towards producing figures for any of the following properties?
    - Bravestarr
    - Galaxy Rangers
    - Thundarr The Barbarian
    - Blackstar
    - The Freedom Force/Space Sentinels
    - Defenders of the Earth

A7 - Currently no but anything is possible…

Alluro Q8 - Are you making any new accommodations for foreign subscribers? ie: to ease shipping costs

A8 - Yes, we are looking into various options to ensure our international subscribers are provided with the best shipping rates available (we’re working to get the best rates for our domestic subscribers too).

Snow Knight Q9 - Will characters like the like transformed Mumm-ra be significantly larger than Lion-O, as he was in the show? Will there also be a thinner buck so some of the more slender characters don't get the "Bow" treatment?

A9 - Those are definitely things we are looking into.

Gerritt Q10 - Will you be emulating the MOTUC cardback bios on the ThunderCats packaging?

A10 - At present the packaging is still being developed, but I can say it will have its own unique look and feel.

Questions duplicated or already answered:

Gerrit: "Matty, will we be seeing any changes to the Lion-O figures face, clawshield and overall skin colour before the final figure is sent off for production ?"
    - Eric Treadaway stated that the face is going to see changes, other changes may or may not be made, as the figure is in late stages now.

Booyah! "I'm wondering if they're open to the possibility of doing the 2011 reboot character designs? Either as a separate line or worked in to the existing line."
    - covered in Q1

Daremonger: "I have a question for Mattel -- is there a chance that they'll explore all areas in the "ThunderCats" universe, maybe even include Lynxana from the old Marvel comics?"
    - Covered in Q1

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  2. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

Mark, thanks for doing this.

My main question is:

Matty, will we be seeing any changes to the Lion-O figures face, clawshield and overall skin colour before the final figure is sent off for production ?

3. C.L.A.W.

C.L.A.W. Junior Member

Way to be on the ball Mark.

My question....
    Based on the information from the mattypalooza panel, the core characters won't be released all at once. With a mini-sub format, it would take 3 years to get all 10 Thundercats if they get released 3 a year. Can you please give us an idea of what the roadmap or plan might be.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

How many Thundercats prototypes are we likely to see/be announced at Power-Con?

5. Booyah!

Booyah! Moleman

Very cool, Mark.

I'm wondering if they're open to the possibility of doing the 2011 reboot character designs? Either as a separate line or worked in to the existing line.

6. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I have a question for Mattel -- is there a chance that they'll explore all areas in the "ThunderCats" universe, maybe even include Lynxana from the old Marvel comics?

7. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

In addition to the 2011 versions and comic specific characters, I am also curious if there is any chance they produce any reissues of the LJN figures?

8. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Superb idea, Mark! :thumbsup:

My question: Is there any possibility of Mattel producing some (or all) of LJN\'s unproduced prototypes? (Mad Bubbler, Red Eye, Feliner, Thunderstrike etc.)

eternian phoeni likes this.
  9. C.L.A.W.

C.L.A.W. Junior Member

100 percent true. Mattel will use what they learned from MOTUC and apply it here. They owned the rights for those toys, not the animation. Fans made some noise and they got the licenses and now have a full sub for it. So it pays to speak up.

10. It is not just a matter of speaking up per se. It is also speaking with your wallet and supporting the product. If people do not buy these figures, then Mattel has no reason to pursue licenses for characters who appeared books, comics, etc.

11. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

Power-Con isn't until June. We will likely get an update (and possibly more reveals) at New York Toy Fair in February ;)

Anyway my question is:

Do you have plans to release characters from the cartoon that were never made into figures in the vintage Ljn toy line (for example Willa and Mandora the Evil Chaser)

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Ah I thought it was a couple months earlier than June.

How many prototypes can we expect to see at Toy Fair 2016? :liono
    Merged Post:
    Another question I would like to ask is:

Is there any chance of Mattel acquiring other 80's licences and making figures from them in the MOTUC style?
    Such as:
    Bravestarr
    Galaxy Rangers
    Thundarr The Barbarian
    Blackstar
    The Freedom Force/Space Sentinels
    Defenders of the Earth

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  13. Aluro

Aluro Active Member

The main thing I want to Ask them is if they will consider a UK based subscription service? Pretty please Mattel

14. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

This is from the Q&A From Mattel on he-man.org:

Thundercats
    "They’re going to be awesome. Period.

The enrollment period for this particular subscription won’t be until early 2016, and the first figure (Lion-O) won’t ship until July 2016. The full lineup will be revealed and yes, you will be pleased. There will be a good mix of heroes, villains and allies…seriously I think you’re going to love it. "

15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It would be nice for us in the UK as Thundercats was very popular here.:liono But I doubt it will happen.
    If the Mattel UK site were selling MOTUC it would make things a lot simpler and cheaper for UK and European fans.

16. Roadpigjohn

Roadpigjohn Laser Beast

Answered:

a) All vintage cartoon characters

For me the core of the brand was the cartoon and the likeness of each specific character and how they developed in the stories.
    Merged Post:
    There is no doubt that I would subscribe for this line with Mattel

Question is:

Mattel is going to produce all the cartoon characters at the difference of what happened in the 80's that Ljn missed several of them?
    Merged Post:
    There is no doubt that I would subscribe for this line with Mattel

Question is:

Mattel is going to produce all the cartoon characters at the difference of what happened in the 80's that Ljn missed several of them?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  17. Fandabidozi

Fandabidozi Junior Member

I'd like to know if Galaxy Rangers are a possibility. I need me some Buzzwang. :)

Mark M likes this.
  18. Snow Knight

Snow Knight New Member

My only question is about scale. Will characters like the like transformed Mumm-ra be significantly larger as he was in the show? Will there also be a thinner buck so some of the more slender characters don't get the "Bow" treatment.

19. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

When will you be sending this to Mattel ?

20. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

One more question:
    Will the TCC line follow the same route as MOTUC regarding the bio's the figures had on the cardback ? I think this was an awesome touch to the line to make the storyline flow and make sure everybody knows where the character fits in.

eternian phoeni likes this.