MattyCollector Subscription Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

I disagree to some extent that his selling out won't make a difference. I do know that the other MOTUC figures sold out and did "nothing" - but that brand lasted 8 years or so? It must have had to do with the demand for more, right? Selling out just shows there's a demand. And although it won't do anything for Matty, S7 might take this as a good sign that even though they said they want the license, this might just be that extra little push / confirmation that its' the right way to go, and they can use that as a little addition when making their case to Warners in securing the license. There is clearly a demand, no matter how small it is.

jabus likes this.
  2. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

Mattel produced a quota that both themselves and the factory was happy with and it sold through meaning their expectations were met. What is so hard to understand about that?

Really? You just said it right there. 8 years for a toyline you constantly complain about. Selling through your stock completely is a good thing and ensures another year of new products. Fast day of purchase sell outs aren't a problem if you subscribe :) Playmates couldn't even complete the Classics A list for Ninja Turtles and they have a successful retail line! lol. So I think I'll take Mattel's way of doing things since we got so much that I'd only dreamed of getting in MOTUC ;)

Since we don't know production numbers that is an assumption on your part ;) and the majority of fans bought extra subs because they wanted to. Yes there were those who went over the top thinking they were on a crusade to 'save the line' but those were in the minority I'm betting.

3. blackiecats

It's the nature of the beast for adult Collector lines and to an extent if it weren't for resellers then the subs might not go through. Such as Big Bad Toy Store will order a bulk of subs and that can only help the lines continue (obviously I'm talking hypothetically since Matty is closing). To be honest with the lines future uncertain I'm surprised resellers would buy extra at day of sale, especially at $30 each...
    and before anyone starts, my pre-orders on eBay are from my extra subscriptions ;)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  4. blackiecats

Exactly what I was thinking. Warner Bros. need to realise that the property is worth licensing out again so soon after Mattel surrender the license back as there is a demand for 4H sculpted ThunderCats, despite Mattel cancelling their line. Otherwise WB might consider resting the brand again for a while.

jabus likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I meant what is so fantastic about selling something that is only a relatively small amount.
    Not an assumption LOL. It was stated numerous times how they were made in far smaller quantities compared to toys available at retail.
    Playmates didn't do a great job with the Classics line (in terms of characters but what they did make was done very well), but they had to focus on products from the 2012 cartoon and the live action movies as they are relevant and successful. ;)
    Maybe that is why Mattel have handed over MOTUC to Super 7 as they are trying to re-launch MOTU as a successful relevant brand again...:roflmao

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

What I am getting at Sebastiaan is that at this point I don't see how it selling out makes a huge difference. It's all just adult collectors who subscribed, scalpers and a minority of people who decided to go for day of sale. In the 8 years of selling to fans online through Matty it hasn't gave Mattel the faith to think they can successful re-lauch MOTU and make it successful and relevant like TMNT and Transformers etc.

7. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

I agree with Mark. in this instance. selling out doesn't matter. They have a specified number of items to sell. they don't have any plans to produce more, or keep the line continuing, because of a sell out.

Mark M likes this.
  8. blackiecats

Exactly. Compared to retail, where classic styled figures don't sell enough (again Ninja Turtles proved that). It's a given that MOTUC has likely outsold the Classics TMNT figures if you combine total sales over 8 years. That's what collectors want, a robust line that covers all corners of the fan base and to achieve that you make product to meet the current demand at the time and sell it through to move on to the next wave. That is exactly what Matty has done over the years and those who complain constantly are those people who think the products should be available to suit their own individual collecting habits.

If something is a success you continue with it regardless. That's just an excuse to save face on something that failed at retail. However disagree with you as I think Playmates did a fantastic job on the Classics figures overall (I'm only missing Donatello from the cartoon inspired line and have the other 5), but the fan base just isn't big enough to support a retail release on Classic styled figures.

9. blackiecats

Why does it matter who buys it so long as it sells out? My point is if it's viable for Mattel then surely it's viable for Super7. At this point whatever Mattel thinks of a sell out is irrelevent since they are done after Panthro is released.

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I like MOTU and am a fan but I am not a fan of the Classics buck or the way Mattel/Matty have been doing business with the line.

I think TMNT Classics suffered the same as the Bandai Thundercats Classics in the sense that there wasn't enough characters in the first series which caused them to be peg warmers. If Bandai's first series also had Panthro, Cheetara, Mumm-Ra and a Mutant I think things would have been very different. Same with TMNT if they had Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady in the first series.
    Mattel's WWE Legends and Hasbro's Black Series along with the various other classic movie based toys is proof that classic characters can sell at retail.

BTW if you are still after a Donatello my local B&M's have plenty at £12.99. :) I really must get the movie ones as I heard that they are slightly better than the cartoon figures but I would like to get the NECA figures.

11. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

So....why did I just get an email about it being time for my sub to automatically renew? o.O

12. jackstatic

jackstatic New Member

Got that too this morning, my sub Lion O has not shipped yet, that reminder is that your October subs will be charged soon, getting slightly agitated over the no Lion O shipping especially since Day of buyers getting theirs. Can't wait though for his arrival

13. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

That's how the sub works. We are in October so it's time for the October figure to be charged and shipped. When there are no delays subscribers get their figures first.

14. balgus82

It's very confusing wording. It doesn't say it's time for the next figure, it says it's time for the sub to renew. If they mean it's time for the next figure to charge, it should say that.

And IMO a week from now is way too soon for the next figure considering I was JUST charged for the first figure this weekend. They're supposed to be a month apart.

15. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Well that was because of the delay. I was surprised too but excited to get Jackalman either way. Hopefully the schedule won't get delayed and the gap to the next figure will be longer.

16. TCatsfan

TCatsfan Glass Walker

Berseker is correct. It is just a reminder that your sub for the next figure will be renewed. They usually send one. I get these for the Club Grayskull as well. It doesn't matter if the previous figure was delayed. I think figures usually ship by the 12 of a month.

17. balgus82

Ugh, I hope not. I won't have the money in my account until at least the 15th. I was expecting one delay to mean the entire run would be delayed.

18. blackiecats

Why is it confusing? Your sub will renew each month around the 10th for the next figure. A subscription is a rolling pre-order each month which renews to automatically order your next figure and we do not get charged until the figures ship. Maybe it's different with a debit card and certain banks post it to the account as a charge?
    Same will occur in November and December (reminder email around a week before renewal, renewal around the 10th and shipping/charge around 12th-15th (if there is no delay).

I don't understand the problem though because the money was meant to go out for Lion-O around the 12th-15th last month and if Jackalman isn't delayed then that is a month apart. So folks surely would have saved that money they allocated to pay for Lion-O on the 12th, ready to pay for him at the end of September. It's not like either Lion-O or Jackalman were being charged early.

Whether the monthly figure is delayed or not makes no difference because they pre-authorise your card around the 10th regardless as that's when the sub renews EVERY month. If there isn't enough funds to cover the order then the sub renewal will fail.
    Don't worry too much though as Digital River attempt to charge a sub 3 times before they cancel it and I think the attempts occur around 3 days apart. Even if your sub does get cancelled, it's not too difficult to get it reinstated.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  19. balgus82

It's confusing because generally when someone says a subscription, that includes more than one item. As an example in this case, Club Third Earth had a subscription fee. We only paid that once for the whole line so the whole line is what I'm subsribed to. If someone tells me the subscription is renewing, I'm assuming I'd need another subscription fee, and would get another group of figures.

The subscription isn't renewing, because the subscription was for all the figures.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  20. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff