MattyCollector transition to Super7

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by thezaxfactor, Jul 21, 2016.

1. mr freeze

mr freeze Laser Beast

I agree the momentum needs to stay up i would hate to think we had to wait another year for figures . To be honest if there is a big wait forr the next wave of figures i will more than likely sell my tcats on ebay .

Mark M likes this.
  2. Alluro Fan

Alluro Fan Glass Walker

So just because there would be another year between waves, you would sell your figures? You do know that had Matty continued this line, there would be a long wait til September for more figures, right? It takes time to design and produce more figures, so I'm sorry to say that you'll be denied your instant gratification and you might as well sell your figures now if that's your mentality.

3. mr freeze

mr freeze Laser Beast

ill sell them when i'am good and ready

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I get what you are meaning. There seems little point in collecting something if the team will not be complete or it will take years to get the core line up. The Thundercats Classics were announced at SDCC 2015, for release in June 2016 then delayed until September 2016 the to add further insult the line is cancelled before the first figure is released.
    Furthermore if what has been stated on He-Man.org is true that it takes 6-12 months for a figure to be produced, then Mattel and the 4 Horsemen would have known before SDCC that the line was cancelled as production for Januarys figure would not have started.

Wilycub and mr freeze like this.
  5. mr freeze

mr freeze Laser Beast

You have pretty much nailed my thoughts on things mark :smile but same as always giving your opinion gets some people's backs up around this place .

Mark M likes this.
  6. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

That's usually how discussion boards work. Someone gives their opinion and then people either agree or they don't. Sometimes it gets heated. Get some thicker skin if it bothers you so much when someone doesn't agree or counters what you say.

As for the wait, I could care less if it takes another year. Lion-O and the Kittens are great and if it takes time to get things going with super7 so be it. Happens with so many smaller toys companies these days anyway. I preordered all of Mondo's 1/6 TMNT figures over a year ago. We have yet to see one shipped. Leonardo just got approved and will most likely ship late next month. On the other hand if you can't wait I get it. It can be frustrating as hell but you could be missing out on a great figure line. Then it's aftermarket catch up.

Mark M likes this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

LOL true but no need to get into arguments. We are just discussing toys.
    I have been in similar situations with a couple other toylines that I liked but sold off as it was going to be impossible to complete/get the main characters I wanted.

Those Mondo TMNT figures looks awesome. It's a tough choice between those and the NECA movie 18" figures.

I hope Super 7 can address some of the problems the Thundercats have had with poor paint apps, seam lines and most importantly those awful gummy rubber hands.

8. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

I would think it would take that long from concept to finish, not just the production part alone. 4 Horsemen have most likely designed and even started sculpting more figures than had been announced. They probably knew sooner than we did, but that doesn't mean they knew significantly longer. Just for an example, I've had a job where the factory shut down and they didn't tell us until the last day. And there's a local restaurant where people came to work one day with a sign on the door telling them they were now closed. Upper management doesn't always tell people below them when they're stopping something.

9. mr freeze

mr freeze Laser Beast

water off a ducks back to me pal no thicker skin needed here :) . I get what your saying tho . i just don't want to wait for years to collect the line but that's just me .

10. Thunderpants

Thunderpants Junior Member

I thought it was said there were 10 figures done?
    One thing they could do upon receiving the go ahead is to produce another run of the current set, especially wilykit/wilykat for those that may have had difficulty getting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark M likes this.
  11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I know what you mean. Where I live there are new businesses opening then closing down in less than one year.
    I don't doubt they have more sculpted and ready.
    But I do suspect that Mattel had planned on Matty's closure and cancelling of the Thundercats long before SDCC.

12. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I agree that's important not to have too much of a delay, but I am also ok if a second run takes a while to come out. In that case they should rerelease some figures and produce a figure such as Red Lion-O to keep things going.

Mark M likes this.
  13. Ianm1225

Ianm1225 Moleman

I'm REALLY hoping that things are a little bit further along for new figures than they are allowed to let on. Grune and Jaga pretty much have to be sculpted already, and back right before the line was officially announced, I swear I read that Lion-o and Vultureman were seen. Unless the person was confusing Vultureman with Jackalman, which doesn't seem that likely. Maybe all just wishful thinking!

mr freeze and Roadpigjohn like this.
  14. Roadpigjohn

Roadpigjohn Laser Beast

I' ll back it up Super 7 when they decide to continue this line...

mr freeze likes this.
  15. mr freeze

mr freeze Laser Beast

I to am hoping things behind the scenes are more advanced hopefully we will get some positive news soon .

Roadpigjohn likes this.
  16. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Waiting sucks but think about it this way. If they plan on starting the line towards the end of the year it could allow for fan criticism when they show off the new sculpts. That could give them time to change things like what happened with Lion-O and Pumyra. I know people would lose their shit if they showed off 2017 figures and something looked off on one or two of them. Just think of the fan backlash if S7 said "sorry production is too far along for any changes." I'd rather wait for a quality product than have a rushed figure that could have been better.

Mattel did a lot wrong with the Mattycollector lines but they did try to listen to fan demanded changes to figures when they could. That's something that I hope Super7 does even better than Mattel did.

17. catgurl

catgurl Moleman

What you are referring to is "accuracy" and not "quality" per se. As far as accuracy to the cartoon goes, yes Mattel was very accommodating to fans' complains and I commend them for taking those into account making the modifications to Lion-O and Pumyra. This is not something that a lot (or any) toy companies do.

This is the age of internet and people will nitpick and opine about EVERYTHING! And I mean literally everything. Some of these are genuine while a lot are just trolling, which is probably why other companies don't bother listening to them. As I said, it was great that Mattel did make the changes to Lion-O and Pumyra. Of course there were an equal number of complains about the look of Lion-O's Claw Shield which Mattel decided not to listen to.

But even if Mattel had not made the changes. Even if they had released the Lion-O based on their first prototype, people who bought the current Lion-O would have still bought that as well. There are very few toys which are 100% cartoon accurate. But fans of the line will buy the toys despite their inaccuracy. WilyKat's sleeve was wrong colored but no one said that they didn't buy that figure just because of that one inaccuracy. Inaccuracies are part of toys and consumers know that. Bandai and Mezco figures aren't 100% accurate either but people still buy them.

However, what you said about quality is a totally different issue. Mattel's ThunderCats figures have serious quality control issues. I have come across many many people talking about the poor paint application on the ThunderKittens. Some actually have blobs of paint thrown on their figures. There's also lot of scratches and marks on the figures and on the boards. The visible seam lines are another issue as are warped hands and loose limbs.

For toys which are produced in limited quantities and with quite a high price tag, these things are unacceptable. Super7 needs to address these issues more than accuracy. Bandai and Mezco figures do not have such QC issues. Inaccuracy is acceptable, poor quality isn't. And because these aren't sold in retail, one cannot return or exchange a faulty toy. People are stuck with whatever they get.

Mark M likes this.
  18. Thunderpants

Are you sure that's the case? There were the photos of the very damaged WilyKit + WilyKat that surfaced on here, and from what I understand, Mattel sent a replacement.
    I do think they reserve some of production for a margin of error. I do not know what their exchange policies are.

19. Thunderpants

I have to agree here, I'd rather wait for better figures. I really don't see how they can even rush this to market with a January figure anyway, since they told us Warner wouldn't renew any licenses until the end of the year. Post-SDCC is when we should have seen the new ones, that would have given S7/4H a lot more time to correct errors (like they did with Pumyra)
    I expect 2017 to look much like this year in S7's hands in terms of figure release dates, perhaps with some blunders in the changeover - who knows what kind of fulfillment setup they will use.
    I can tell you that from a programmer's point of view (and I've worked specifically in ecommerce doing these exact kind of custom-business rules in a site like the Matty subscriptions) that the software was likely altered many times to correct for changes in the process that they learned over time from mistakes and unexpected issues.
    Here's hoping that somehow, Matty can pass most of this knowledge down to S7.

PS - Thanks for posting that FB link to S7's update, Berserker. I can't find anything on Facebook when I look for it :(

Berserker likes this.
  20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

International customers though and people who had to buy through EBay are stuck with their product if there is any faults.
    For a high quality collector line QC problems should not be an issue. In most of the reviews I have seen and read of the Mattel Thundercats they all seem to have some type of QC problem from warped hands, chipped paint, bad paint apps and breaking Clawshield belt pegs. Some have a bad finish of the plastic on the face.
    I must be honest and say none of the Bandai figures I owned had any QC problems. :)