Mezco Mezco Tygra Figure

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Vivek, Feb 6, 2015.

1. LeoTigris

LeoTigris Berbill

Mezco has a great set!

[​IMG]

Daremonger and englishw like this.
  2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Ya, the Mezco line is pretty sweet. I hope that they are able to produce more of them!

3. TCatsfan

TCatsfan Glass Walker

LeoTigris you have a nice set there. I need mummy mumm ra, snarf and panthro. I have the cheetara version without the snarf and mumm ra without the mummy version. hopefully i can pick them up one day. they are so expensive these days and the shipping is twice the figure prices. I'll be putting Tygra with my collection soon.

4. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Impressive, man!

Robear-Coll likes this.
  5. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

I agree, the Mezco set is very nice! Especially Mumm-Ra Ever living form and Panthro .... Lion-O is the only one that I don't like, the face is just not accurate!

If I were Mezco, I would have changed the face sculp for this new release with Snarf ... but thats just me! :liono

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    Mark M likes this.
  6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree 100%. Sadly Lion-O has the worst/least cartoon accurate head sculpt of all the figures.

7. LeoTigris

LeoTigris Berbill

Can't say it really bothers me. Doesn't look that much off in my opinion.

[​IMG]

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The angle of the first pic doesn't look so bad but in the second pic his face and jaw line could be wider. My main problem with the head sculpt isn't the face but the hair. It's just a really odd shape that doesn't look like he was mostly shown in the cartoon.

9. TCatsfan

TCatsfan Glass Walker

I am not too crazy about the Lion-O. I looked at my own one and it just doesn't feel like Lion-O. If there was a demon version it would be him. Like Gerrit mentioned I wish that they gave him a new head sculpt with the new release. I may just pick him up at some point just to get snarf.

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I sold my Lion-O and Mumm-Ra not long after getting the two together. Lion-O was okay from some angles but the paint flaw on his left arm (whole arm was a different shade to the rest of the skin) and the fact I didn't really have the space to display or store them made it quite easy to sell them.

11. LeoTigris

LeoTigris Berbill

The issue with the hair is that in the cartoon it has no detail at all. It's a red splash of color. In a sculpt you have to put in the detail.

I took a phot of of mine. I don't have an issue with the likeness. The chin looks the same.

The fact is that a 3D sculpt of a 2D cartoon will always look somewhat off. I collect the Batman the Animated series figures. As great as they are, they all look off from the cartoon because they are not flat.

[​IMG]

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It's difficult capturing a 2D likeness in 3D form. I don't know, the face looks a little to narrow to me.
    The Batman Animated figures look amazing, I would love to start collecting that line.

13. LeoTigris

LeoTigris Berbill

One issue with the Thundercat show was a lack of consistency. Episode to episode the character build would vary. In some episodes Lion-O looked a lot buffer than in others. I like what Mezco did because in my opinion, Lion-O should be less buff than Panthro.

Mark M likes this.
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yeah there was some episodes in which Lion-O looks way more buff than even He-Man.

15. catgurl

catgurl Moleman

In my opinion the Mezco Lion-O is just terrible as far as likeness goes. Firstly the hair is just all wrong. It has nothing to do with the fact that it has details in the scupt and not in the cartoon. It's shape is just wrong. It is set TOO high on LIon-O's head. One can clearly see from the pic that in the cartoon his hair's baseline almost touched his trapezius muscle. It was very low at the back of his neck, not pulled up like the Mezco figure.

Secondly, the Mezco Lion-O is too lean. In the cartoon he was very buff. Maybe he wasn't as buff as Panthro in some episodes but he certainly wasn't as lean as Mezco made him. Their version gave him a body type that would suit Daredevil or Spiderman.

Thirdly, making a 3D sculpt of a 2D cartoon character, while not easy, is not as difficult as people might think. I work in the graphic designing biz and I have some friends who do amazing sculpting and they are complete amateurs. So the pros at Mezco should be able to do a better job. The 2D cartoon itself is drawn in such a way as to make the viewers believe that the characers are 3D and not flat so they aren't as 2D as people would think.

The other Mezco figures are pretty good, but Lion-O is terrible. I wouldn't buy him.

Robear-Coll, Mark M and Booshman like this.
  16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree 100%.

17. LeoTigris

LeoTigris Berbill

Agree to disagree.

18. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

I agree with you on the likeness, but I dont think it makes for a terrible Lion-O. I always look at these things as new interpretations. Just like how the Star Comic Lion-O looks different from the animated version. Although I dont like all incarnations (PopCulture Shock or Icon Heroes :whistle) I do enjoy the variations of the same character. Kinda like the Turtles Forever idea of a multiverse.. a THUNDERVERSE! :D

19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The one thing that Thundercats lacks compared to a lot of other 80's/90's cartoon brands is that WB never took enough chances to try new things with the brand. The 2011 cartoon didn't do great...so what, they should just try something else. A lot of other properties had shows and toylines that were awful and didn't even do as good as Thundercats 2011 but they just kept going and have gone on to great success.

20. cgdc76

cgdc76 Active Member

Does anyone know when we are supposed to be getting Tygra? I pre-ordered from BBTS. Are they pretty quick with getting stuff out?

Also, if you dremmel out the hole in Lion-O's head with a 5/8 bit, it will allow his head to sit better on his neck. I think he looks a ton better. I will try to post a pic of mine later.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016