Movie Club: Blade Runner

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Mar 17, 2019.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE LATEST DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB, DESIGNED TO RUN PARALLEL WITH R.O.C.K.S. A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

This week we're going back to the 1980s with Blade Runner.

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one), and anyone is welcome to add their thoughts about movies already discussed on their respective threads.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these movies, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

This is a very good movie and I do like it. The story is very interesting but quite a bit too slow at times.
    The visual effects in this film are stunning, even 30+ years later by todays standards. It really helps bring you into the world of the story.
    I always knew of the film but it wasn't one I was allowed to watch when I was younger and truthfully I never watched fully until last year.
    I can really understand why people class this one of the best sci-fi movies.

Even the poster art work for Blade Runner is awesome. I was always really amazed at Drew Struzan's painting.
    [​IMG]
    I read the film inspired the artwork for Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time album, the first LP vinyl record I ever bought...back in summer 2001.
    The band were also photographed with the blade runner car. At the time of getting the album I had no idea what inspired it or where the car was from, I just thought it looked cool. It wasn't until a few years ago while researching Iron Maiden's album art work I discovered the Blade Runner connection.
    [​IMG]
    I recall back when I seen this cover beign completely amazed at how many things were captured in the painting and the amount of detail in it for a hand drawn painting.
    [​IMG]

I also read that this movie inspired the anime Ghost in the Shell movies/TV shows. They were also awesome and I would highly recommend them. Perhaps one day we will cover it in Movie Club.

Wilycub likes this.
  3. The Drifter

The Drifter Berbill

Blade Runner is, simply, one of the best films ever made...period. The visuals are stunning, the tech is impressive, the storyline is great, and the acting is incredible. And, the soundtrack by Vangelis was amazing. Excellent & surprising ending as well. This may very well be Harrison Ford's best film - and this is coming from a HUGE Star Wars/Indiana Jones fan.

You really believe that this is taking place in the future re: the neon lights/cityscape, drab atmosphere (presumably due to pollution, etc.), "flying" cars, etc.

One of my best theatrical movie experiences was seeing the 2007 BR cut on the big screen (limited release) back in November of that year, a couple of weeks before the DVD re-release. I had missed the film in theatres back in '82...(too young to see an R-rated movie at the time - LOL).

Going along with this, I did enjoy the 2007 5 disk DVD set which was, at the time, one of the best DVD releases for an individual film ever. I liked how it included all of the film's incarnations (1982 release, 1992 director's cut, 2007 cut, etc.). I later got the 2007 cut on Blu-ray.

Re: the HF voice-over in the '82 version, this is my favorite version of the film. I liked how this was an obvious homage to the old 1940's/1950's film noir detective films.

Here's an article re: the 1982 Marvel comics adaptation of the film, w/art by the great Al Williamson:

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/blade_runner_the_marvel_comics_adaptation

IMHO this film has been a big influence on later sci-fi movies, including Minority Report (2002), the 2012 Total Recall re-make, and the Coruscant city sequences in Star Wars: Episode II (2002) - among others.

Mark M likes this.
  4. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Just seen this film for the first time ever. I can see how it's gained cult classic status, as it draws on elements from so many genres. Sci-fi in its setting, but detective film noir and gothic horror play their parts too.

Whether all the elements are to my own personal taste, I'm not sure, but I can appreciate it was well made. I liked the ambiguity, the replicants have a motive that you can appreciate - survival, and the question of whether Deckard is human or replicant deliberately asked but never fully addressed is good too.

Some bits were a bit graphic for me, notably the murder of Tyrell. I also didn't like the way Sebastian was simply reported dead. He's an important enough character to have it indicated more clearly at the time.

It's probably not one I'd go and buy on DVD but it's certainly one I'm glad I've seen.

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I would agree with that. I like the movie but it's not one I would have much interest in re-watching too often or even own on DVD.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Since last weekend was Wrestlemania 35 I just thought I should add a little bit of trivia to this discussion.
    The film inspired the name of the tag team ''The Blade Runners'' Sting and Rock.
    upload_2019-4-13_12-23-31.jpeg
    Of course both team members would go on to have much more successful careers in wrestling.
    Sting would keep the name Sting and Rock would call himself Ultimate Warrior.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]