Movie Club: Die Hard

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Sid is pretty much retired. He makes very rare occasional appearances now and then. He still looks pretty much the same. I believe he has been in a couple films like Monsters Brawl along with some other wrestlers. He stopped competing regularly after getting injured in early 2001.

Watch some of Van Dam's matches against Jerry Lynn and Sabu.

As for your questions.
    1. Yes The Rock and Hogan fought at Wrestlemania 18. They had a good match which the crowd really enjoyed and even started cheering bad guy Hogan during the match which Rock won.

2. You are correct. :) In terms of still being under contract to WWF/WWE and still wrestling (occasionally) The Undertaker has been there the longest.

3. Not very many. From when Hogan first won the belt in early 84 the only other wrestlers to hold the title were Andre the Giant, Macho Man Randy Savage and Ultimate warrior in 1990. Even during 90-93 the only others, aside from Hogan and Savage, to hold the belt were Sgt Slaughter, Ric Flair, Yokozuna, Undertaker and Bret Hart.

4. The first wrestler to beat Hulk Hogan for the title was Andre The Giant.

Wilycub likes this.
  2. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Thanks for all the info, Mark! :thumbsup I can't believe that Ric Flair won the WWF belt. The couple of episodes of WWF that I remember seeing him in, he was always depicted as a second-rate bad guy who would taunt the hero (in this case Hogan) and then run away. :biggrin

So Mark and @LiamABC coming back to "Die Hard", I remember once coming across an article which mentioned a couple of movies that it claimed had "been inspired" by "Die Hard". I was wondering how many have you guys seen and what do you think about the similarities to "Die Hard"? Apart from the first two, I've seen all of them.

Toy Soldiers - "Die Hard" in a school
    Under Siege - "Die Hard" on a battleship
    Con-Air, Passenger 57 and Executive Decision - "Die Hard" on a plane
    Air Force One - "Die Hard" on Air Force One
    Cliffhanger - "Die Hard" on a mountain
    Sudden Death - "Die Hard" in a hockey stadium
    The Rock - "Die Hard" on Alcatraz
    White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen - "Die Hard" in the White House

Mark M likes this.
  3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

I haven't actually seen any of them. I've read a book called Air Force One Is Down, which came before Die Hard, and again has the Alistair MacLean connection, in that it's based on a film treatment he wrote. The film didn't get made, but would have been a sequel to Hostage Tower which I mentioned earlier. I'm prepared to accept that Die Hard has been a big influence on subsequent films.

We should definitely do some more films of Alistair MacLean books in movie club.

Mark M likes this.
  4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

@Wilycub You be even more shocked to know Ric Flair is a 16 time world champion holding the world title in NWA, WCW and WWF. He was always pretty much the bad guy.
    You should watch Ric Flair's matches against Ricky Steamboat. They are brilliant. One of my favourite bouts they had was their second last match at Spring Stampede 1994.
    Ric Flair's daughter Charlotte is now a very successful wrestler in WWE.

I have seen Under Siege, Con-Air, Cliffhanger and The Rock.
    Cliffhanger is great. Definitely one of my favourite Stallone films. Coincidently I re-watched it last week.
    I got the movie when it was released on VHS and around that time I also got a mountain climbing set for my Action Man/G.I. Joe and I had lots of fun having some Cliff Hanger inspired adventures.
    Under Siege is okay. It's probably Segal's only good film.
    Con-Air and The Rock are very fun Nicholas Cage movies. I got see both of these movies in high school on days we were allowed to watch a video.

I have heard of most of the other films and will have to check them out.
    Of those films I had never heard of Toy Soldiers but just had a quick look on Wikipedia. It sounds really good. :D Kind of like Home Alone in a school. Technically would the Home Alone movies count as being inspired by Die Hard. ;)
    The concept is a bit different but reading about it reminded me of a Japanese movie called Battle Royale. I think that would be a good candidate for our first foreign/International subtitled movie to cover in movie club.

Much like the G.I. Joe comic I mentioned earlier, around the time Die Hard came out some issues of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic had a slightly similar story. All the action took place in a large building/sky scraper. But rather than the TMNT being locked in and fighting invaders they were the invaders fighting their way in to get to Shredder. I believe this story also inspired some episodes of the 2003 cartoon series.

5. Wilycub

@Mark M Wow!! I truly am surprised to learn that Ric FLair had such a successful career as a wrestler. I only ever saw a few of his matches and from those I got the impression that he was just a "gimmick" character created to serve as a foil/baddie for the heroes like Hogan and Warrior to defeat. It's fantastic to learn that he was such an accomplished wrestler.

Cliffhanger is definitely one of the better Stallone films from the 90s. If I'm not mistaken, they made action figures based on that movie, right Mark?

Good point about the possibility of "Home Alone" movies being inspired from "Die Hard"! Too bad we never got a chance to hear Kevin say "Yippee Ki Yay ******" LOL! :biggrin

LiamABC likes this.
  6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

@Wilycub Flair is worth checking out. He always was just Flair and did lots of matches putting the other guy over and making that good guy a real star.

There was no Clifhanger toys but surprisingly there was toys based on Stallone's more adult violent movie "Demolition Man". Mattel made them and they were not very successful and looked very little like the film. Mattel re-used lots of the moulds from The New Adventures of He-Man toyline.

NECA made Die Hard John McClane figure several years ago but it wasn't much of an action figure. It only had a couple points of articultion. More of a statue with some slight display options lol.

Maybe they can make a more violent adult Home Alone movie with an adult Macauly Culkin defending his house. :)

Actually that reminds me of that other Bruce Willis movie "Hostage". It has some slight similarities to Die Hard. I've only seen it once or twice. I thought it was quite good.

7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

@Wilycub and @LiamABC I made a surprise discovery last night.
    It turns out Willis did take anew role....not on film but in a stage play a few years ago. He played Paul Sheldon in the stage play of Misery!
    Misery is one of my favourite movies and the novel is great. I had no idea there was a play of it.
    Willis is pretty unrecognisable as Paul Sheldon.
    [​IMG]

Wilycub likes this.
  8. The Drifter

The Drifter Berbill

I saw Die Hard in the theater back in Summer '88. Excellent action film, with some amazing & harrowing stunt work. I liked the pseudo-Christmas aspect. I.e., it was set during the holidays but that was obviously not the focus of the movie.

It's worth noting that this film was a big departure for Willis; prior to Die Hard, he had been primarily known for starring in the romantic comedy TV series Moonlighting, with Cybill Shepherd. So, his transition to a big "action star" in this first Die Hard film was quite surprising.

This first DH is also my favorite film in the franchise.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 2:46 AM
  9. LiamABC

I was looking in a charity shop last week and saw the box set for just £2 so I picked it up. I've watched the first one, and have made my final verdict on the Alistair MacLean connection. There is an influence from many of his novels in this film but the biggest one, apart from the cruise liner setting of course, is The Golden Rendezvous. Read the book and you'll see why. Hell, just read it anyway it's a great book!

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I recently re-watched the trilogy and out of the three movies and as Imuch as IIlove the first movie I actuall prefer the sequels. My order of favourites would now be 2, 3 and 1.

11. LiamABC

Well I've just watched the second one for the first time. I think I still prefer the first one, but 2 is a worthy sequel. They managed to pull off the trick of doing something that was the same but different. This one had a bit more of a mystery element to it, which was fun. It was fun recognising William Sadler as Colonel Stuart, and also Colm Meaney as the pilot of the plane that got crashed. I got the box set in a charity shop the other day for £2. I'll get round to the other two eventually (it doesn't have the latest one).

12. Wilycub

Thank your lucky stars! ;):laugh

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

@Wilycub I recently watched Die Hard 4. This was my second time watching it since I first seen it back when it was released.
    The action scenes with Willis are very good and his interaction with Long is quite good.
    The problem with the film is that the plot is very bland and boring. The computer talk especially is a little hard to follow.
    I didn't even know why the villains were doing what they were doing until about 2/3 of the way through the movie.
    The biggest let down of the movie is the lead villain. He is so uncharismatic and boring. I have never even heard of the actor before or seen him in anything else other than this movie.
    The only good bits of this movie are the action scenes with Willis.
    A better plot and villain could have put this up on the level as the previous movies.
    As it is it is just an okay sequel.
    I suppose I should watch Die Hard 5 and then I can have seen all the movies and give my opinion on it.
    Having said that though DH4 is a far better sequel to older franchises than some others I can think of like Rambo, Universal Soldier, Predator, Alien, Terminator, Star Wars etc.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 1:14 PM
    Wilycub likes this.
  14. Wilycub

@Mark M Totally agree with you. The action scenes are definitely the best thing about part 4.

I understand what the makers were going for by pitting McClane against cyber-terrorists in order to make the plot more apt for the 2000s. But their execution wasn't very good and the casting of the villain was WAY off. I've seen Olyphant in a couple of movies, usually in a side role. He just couldn't pull off the menacing, intelligent and scary villain that we have come to expect in a Die Hard movie. He was just too bland. His acting, dialogue delivery, expressions just fell flat.

Another problem with part 4 I felt was that McClane was dumbed down a bit too much. I get it that the filmmakers wanted to make his character more of a fish out of water in the "new world" internet and computers, but they went a bit too overboard with it. We've already seen McClane's intelligence on full display in the previous movies when he alone (sometimes with a little help) foiled the plots of the villains. But in this movie, he is just following Matt Farrell (Justin Long). Long is the brain and Willis is the brawn. McClane's job is just to take Farrell wherever he wants to go and kill off any bad guys that get in the way. The pairing of Willis and Long just didn't work as well as the pairing of Willis and Jackson in part 3.

And you're right, while part 4 may not be as good as the previous three, it certainly is a decent sequel in its franchise compared to some other 80s franchises.

Mark M likes this.