Movie Club: Enchanted

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Aug 20, 2017.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE RELAUNCHED DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB, DESIGNED TO RUN PARALLEL WITH R.O.C.K.S.
    A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

After looking at "The Princess Bride" last week, we're going to watch Disney's 2007 animation/live action crossover "Enchanted", which arguably did something similar, but in a completely different way.

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one), and anyone is welcome to add their thoughts about movies already discussed on their respective threads.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

2. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I saw "Enchanted" around the time it came out and found it very adorable. The 10 minute animation at the start is beautifully done. No surprises there as it is Disney after all! I just wish they hadn't abandoned traditional 2D animation altogether. It's charm and spontaneity cannot be matched by 3D animation, IMHO.

The jokes and gags are quite funny without resorting to crudeness or vulgarity (which appears to be the norm in most spoof movies). It was nice to see Disney making fun of their animated fairy tales features. And it was a fun exercise to try and spot all the references to the other Disney movies and characters.

Amy Adams was born to play this role. She really looks like a Disney princess brought to life. She was definitely the best thing about the movie. All the other cast members were good too. James Marsden was hilarious as a "fish out of water" prince.

Mark M and LiamABC like this.
  3. LiamABC

Hey Wilycub! Good to see you back on here, how have you been?

I love this movie too. It took me a few minutes to "get it" the first time I saw it, but once I did, yes, it had me hooked. You can see why I picked this after we'd done The Princess Bride! Both apparently were in the works for a long time before finally getting made. Both are affectionate spoofs. Come to think of it, you're right about the lack of dirty jokes. The closest we get is when Nancy turns up and understandably goes ballistic. Robert then explains to Giselle that

"She's got it into her head that we may have . . ."

"Kissed?"

"Something like that."

Actually, on the subject of kissing, that reminds me, something I didn't notice in this movie until I watched it the other day. I knew that Giselle and Edward never kissed, that much was sort of a big point, considering how much faith Giselle has in the power of True Love's Kiss. But what I only noticed for the first time last week was that Robert and Nancy are never shown to kiss either.

Agreed 100% on Amy Adams - she was born to play Giselle. The task of playing a Disney princess in the real world is very tricky when you think about it. One slip-up and the suspension of disbelief is gone, but she didn't even look like slipping up even once. She is completely convincing in every frame of every scene. She believes whole-heartedly in the part. I don't believe anyone else could have pulled it off, and the fact that she didn't win an Oscar for this movie can only be described as criminal.

Also, here's a weird thing. I don't know if it's just me, but when she and Patrick Dempsey are talking about chipmunks talking, he says they can't, and she says, "not here they don't" - the inflection in her voice there makes her sound EXACTLY like Catherine Hicks in Star Trek IV The Voyage Home. Just for a moment.

Most of the cast I know from other things:

Timothy Spall has a list of credits as long as your arm, in a considerably variety of roles.
    The wonderfully OTT James Marsden I knew as Cyclops in the first three X-Men films (a criminally under-used character, come on, those laser eyes are such a cool power!).
    Patrick Dempsey I had only seen as Professor Arronax in a truly horrendous adaption of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea back in the late 90s (it bore precious little resemblance to the book, and the only good thing about it was Michael Caine as Captain Nemo)
    Idina Menzel must have been just making a name for herself at this point, we all know her most famous part now.
    Susan Sarandon, well, I don't think I've seen her in anything else, but I do know she was in Thelma & Louise, not that I've seen it.
    Rachel Covey is considerably more accomplished than the average child star - the cliche of "don't work with children" does not apply to her. She turned in an excellent performance - and I've just discovered won an award for it.
    And one of the nicest cameos - well, actually she has several scenes, Jodie "The Little Mermaid" Benson as the secretary.

The one thing that bugs me in this film - and it's only a minor thing, is at the end when they are asked to take their partners for the king and queen's waltz. The song that is sung to accompany the dancers is not in waltz time. That was a technical screw-up on the part of Alan Menken the songwriter. It would have been simple to fix! That said, it's still a nice song in itself, as are all the songs in this movie, Disney through and through, the earlier ones evocative of old Disney standards, then gradually in the real world getting more earthy, for want of a better description.

So yes, as you'd probably guessed, I love this movie. Disney at its finest, and that's pretty fine.

Mark M and Wilycub like this.
  4. Wilycub

Nice review Liam! Regarding the rest of the cast:

Timothy Spall - I too have seen him in many movies. He's a very good actor but I guess because of his looks he gets typecast in mostly comedic or fantasy roles.
    James Marsden - My feelings are the same as yours. He was very terribly handled in the X-Men movies. He had such a cool and amazing power but the makers didn't give him much to do, choosing instead to give the spotlight to Wolverine, Jean, and (the incredibly boring) Storm.
    Patrick Dempsey - I know him from "Grey's Anatomy". Didn't follow that show religiously but would watch any episode that I could catch on TV.
    Susan Sarandon - Have seen her in many movies, like "Dead Man Walking", "Bull Durham", "Stepmom", "Anywhere But Here" etc etc.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Page O'Hara (voice of Belle) also have a cameo?

5. LiamABC

I just checked, and yes she did. It says she was in the "fictional soap opera" - now technically all soap operas are fictional, but what I'm taking it as meaning is that she was the character who triggered Nathaniel's character arc, when he and Edward were channel-hopping. She must have been the person who asked "how could I love a man who doesn't even like himself?"

Apparently James Marsden opted for the role of Edward before the role of Robert had been cast, feeling that it was a part he could really sink his teeth into. And he certainly does go completely over the top with it - in any other film that would be a bad thing, but because he's playing a Disney character who's been transported to the real world, you can go, "yep."

The difference between Giselle and Edward's comedy is that Edward is comedic of his own accord, while Giselle is a straight character who gets into awkward and comical situations accidentally.

6. Wilycub

I remember last year hearing about a sequel being in the works. It's working title was "Disenchanted" and the plot was allegedly going to revolve around Giselle questioning if her "happily ever after" is truly the way she had imagined it.

It'll be tricky to pull it off now, a decade after the original. If they wanted to do a sequel then I'm surprised why they didn't do it sooner. It's also going to be tricky if some of the cast members refuse to return. I don't think Patrick Dempsey was too keen on reprising his role. I think he said so in some interview in passing. Of course, a big paycheck can always change that! ;)

7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

After reading about this movie I assumed it would have been something like Roger Rabbit which it was not so that was a nice surprise.
    This definitely inspired the live action adaptions of there animated movies.
    Interesting story and cast.
    Quite enjoyable film.
    I really don't think they should make a sequel (or sequel/reboot).

8. LiamABC

Agreed. Don't touch it. It's perfect as it is.

9. Wilycub

I agree with you both. But you know Disney, the king of unnecessary and terrible sequels! ;)

LiamABC likes this.