Movie Club: Hook

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Dec 17, 2017.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE LATEST DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB, DESIGNED TO RUN PARALLEL WITH R.O.C.K.S.
    A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

This week we're getting in the festive mood with the Robin Williams classic Hook.

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one), and anyone is welcome to add their thoughts about movies already discussed on their respective threads.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these movies, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I enjoyed this movie.
    The cast was great. Williams and Hoffman were especially good.
    Being set with Peter as an adult was nice as opposed to a retelling of the animated classic movie.

However I do recall not being interested in the movie when it was released as the idea of adult Peter seemed very odd to me. I grew up with the Disney movie and the wonderful Peter Pan and the Pirates cartoon series and back then I would have much rather preferred a live action adaption of the cartoon series.

I remember getting one of the figures of Peter Pan from the Hook toyline. It was a cool enough figure but let's just say it doesn't have the best facial likeness. ;) Mattel did a better job a decade earlier with their Mork and Mindy toys.

I should probably watch the 2003 movie.

3. PKELL

PKELL Barbarian

Hook is one of those weird movies that has a ton of flaws, but I still like it.

Dustin Hoffman is Captain Hook to me. He is just brilliant in the role, and who0 doesn't love Rufio?

I thought the premise of the film was great too. What would happen if Peter Pan got old? And there is some wonderful imagination on display throughout the film. Parts of the movie are also downright hilarious (Hook and Smee steal it).

What are the problems? It gets very schmaltzy at points, especially towards the end. There are some gaps in logic, and some of the casting is off. (Never cared for Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell).

But Hook is one of those movies that I can revisit and enjoy any time, flaws and all.

4. TheEagle

TheEagle Junior Member

Hook is an incredible classic movie. Rufio was an underrated character. And I wish the movie spent a little more time with Wendy's family and beginnings, it doesn't give us much backstory.

The scene with the scorpions makes me cringe every time though

5. The Drifter

The Drifter Berbill

Happy 2018, everyone.

Hook is a decent film. For whatever reason I never saw this when it came out. However, I did finally see this about a year ago on Blu-ray. Interesting movie with a cool premise. Robin Williams & Dustin Hoffman are both fantastic in this. I also think this is a film for people (like me) who aren't really interested in the Peter Pan mythology, but who may still be interested to see what happens when Peter Pan gets "older" and has to grow up & face adult responsibilities.

I also saw the film as a metaphor to those out there who are stuck in their childhood & don't want to face up to being adults, but who eventually need to realize that they need to stop acting like children & get their act together.