Movie Club: James Bond - For Your Eyes Only

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Jun 30, 2017.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE RELAUNCHED DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB, DESIGNED TO RUN PARALLEL WITH R.O.C.K.S.
    A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

This week's choice is a Bond film, in tribute to Sir Roger Moore, who passed away a few weeks back. We're going with the first Bond film of the 80s:

For Your Eyes Only

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one).

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

2. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Roger Moore always was and always will be my favorite Bond. It was his movies that I grew up watching, and only later did I discover the other Bonds. Even today, his Bond movies are fun to watch. We had a VHS of most of the Bond movies back in the 80s and "For Your Eyes Only" was one of them. I'll go (kinda) chronologically in my views of the movie.

FYEO probably has one of the most exciting and action-packed pre-title sequence in the Bond franchise. We see Bond visiting the grave of his deceased wife, Tracy. I believe this was to tie this movie to "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", in which Bond (Lazenby) gets married. What follows is a real innovative thrill ride!! Bond finds himself locked inside a remote controlled helicopter piloted by none other than someone who looks a lot like Blofeld. The helicopter stunts are amazing, mind you, this is pre-CGI era. I simply love it when Bond finally takes control of the helicopter, and the cat snarls which then immediately leads to the Bond theme being played in the background. Awesome!!! I still smile whenever I watch that scene. Of course Bond then goes on to pick up the baddie and dump him in a huge chimney.

I believe there was some sort of legal battle going on at that time on the ownership of the character of Blofeld and so in FYEO, not only does Blofeld not appear, but I think the whole pre-title sequence in which Bond kills a Blofeld look-alike was the filmmakers way of giving the finger to whoever was contesting for the rights to Blofeld. It was pretty much saying, "We don't need Blofeld to make a great Bond movie".

The title song is also one of my favorites. Instead of Bond regular John Barry, the music for FYEO was composed by Bill Conti of "Rocky" fame and the title song sung by Sheena Easton who also appeared in the title sequence, the only singer to do so in a Bond film if I'm not mistaken.

I won't go too much into detail on the story, but it is a bit darker when compared to other Moore Bond films. There is less humor and less reliance on extravagant gadgets. There are a host of characters, some good like Columbo, and others annoying like Bibi Dahl. I wasn't too impressed by the acting of the main Bond girl Carole Bouquet. She was a bit too stiff, but pretty pleasing to the eyes. It's always a pleasure to see the Bond regulars like M, Moneypenny, Q and General Gogol.

Many critics of Moore have often criticized his Bond for being too humorous and light-hearted. But in this movie, we get to see quite a bit of his serious and ruthless side. He kills people in cold blood, whether it is by dropping them into giant chimneys or kicking their cars over cliffs. I'd say this is one of Moore's best Bond movies along with "The Spy Who Loved Me".

On a side note, I remember a short time after this film was released, there was a magazine which had the headline that the Bond girl in this movie was a transsexual. Of course, it was later revealed that the transsexual was in fact an extra in the pool scene and the magazine had blown the story out of proportion.

LiamABC and Mark M like this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I finally watched this movie. That makes it the second Bond movie after A View To A Kill that I have watched fully.
    The theme tune for 'For Your Eyes Only' is good but I still prefer the theme tune for 'A View To A Kill'.

After seeing this movie I am curious and would like to watch some other Bond movies.

Overall I must say I really enjoyed this movie. It was a lot of fun with a lot of great scenes. From the opening with the helicopter, to the car chases, to the ice hockey fight (with the Casey jones cameo lol ;) ), the under water and mountain climbing scenes. It's hard to pick a favourite scene but if I had to I would probably say the mountain climbing scene or the car chase with the yellow Citroen.

Speaking of cars I love the Lotus car. I remember my Mum. Dad and me got to see and sit in a one years back in the early 90's that my Dad was fixing.

Wilycub likes this.
  4. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

This is one of my favourite Bond films ever, along with Live And Let Die and From Russia With Love. Unlike most Bond films, these are not dependent on gadgetry.

There's plenty of action in this too - the Blofeld sequence at the start is highly entertaining, breathtaking and comical at the same time. I do remember reading somewhere that Stromberg, the villain in The Spy Who Loved Me, was originally planned to be Blofeld, but was changed due to a legal dispute. Certainly, thinking about it now, Stromberg's booby-traps are comparable to those of Blofeld.

As for the main story -it has a properly involved storyline. I was surprised to read that the McGuffin of the ATAC device wasn't created until quite some way into the writing process. Without wishing to give too much away, this has a feature that most Bond films lack - a real twist in the plot. First Bond has to find the man who killed the Havelocks, one Hector Gonzales, then when Gonzales is killed, he has to identify and chase up the man who paid him, Emille Leopold Locque, and then find the man who is paying Locque, which gets him embroiled in a feud between two Greek businessmen. Ultimately, his search for the ATAC takes him to a mountain hideout and a very exciting climax.

If I had to pick one fault with it, I'd say the Italian segment goes on a little too long. But otherwise it's great.

This is a unique Bond film on many levels:

- It's the only Bond film not to feature M. The reason for this is that Bernard Lee, who had played the role in all previous films, died just as they started filming this one, so in tribute, they didn't recast him for this film, they said he was on leave, and had his deputy do the briefing. The new M, Robert Brown, would debut in the next film.
    - It's the only Bond film where the singer of the theme tune appears in the title sequence singing it. Sheena Easton, yes, that makes sense. There's a lot of pretty girls make their way into these title sequences, she qualifies.
    - I think it's the only time Bond ever rejects a woman's advances outright - in the form of Bibi. Of course, she was a bit young for him!
    - It's one of very few films where Q doesn't give Bond a huge array of gadgets at the start. Q's main role here is in the identigraph sequence where they put together Locque's face.

Speaking of Locque, he actually doesn't utter a word in the film until his death scene - same as Oddjob in Goldfinger. Michael Gothard, who played Locque, played a similarly quiet and moody role, Felton the jailer, in The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers back in the 1970s. (He had a few more lines there though.) And is it just me or does Locque look a bit like Stewart Copeland, the drummer in The Police?

Another quiet henchman in this film, Apostis, the man who Bond has to fight on the mountain, is played by Jack Klaff, who had a small part as one of the pilots in Star Wars episode 4 A New Hope, and who I know best as the audio reader of one of Alistair MacLean's finest novels, "Night Without End".

Wilycub and Mark M like this.
  5. The Drifter

The Drifter Berbill

For Your Eyes Only (1981) is one of my favorite Bond films. Great action scenes, and this has one of my favorite sequences in the entire franchse: The clever "anti-theft" device that Bond had installed on his car; when a bad guy tried to open the car by breaking in the window, the car blew up [​IMG]

What's interesting is that my first exposure to the film was not seeing the movie itself, but instead reading the "Marvel Super Special" in the early '80's that adapted the film. Though the movie is obviously superior, this comic adaptation had great art:

http://www.the007dossier.com/post/2012/09/10/for-your-eyes-only-marvel-super-special

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    LiamABC likes this.
  6. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Thanks for that link @The Drifter I've never seen it before. The art really is very good. I do recall seeing a comic version of "Dr. No" and that had pretty nice art as well.