Movie Club Relaunch: Back To The Future III

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Mar 19, 2017 at 9:00 AM.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE RELAUNCHED DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB, DESIGNED TO RUN PARALLEL WITH R.O.C.K.S.
    A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this. It’s going to be an enjoyable ride!

To ease everyone back into this gently, we're doing the "Back To The Future" saga, and this week we're doing part 3.

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one).

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I really like the third movie. Of the three it's probably my favourite. It's definitely the one I watched the most growing up. I remember getting it recorded off TV one Christmas after my Dad read about it in the Radio Times and told my Mum and me about it.
    There is a lot of great scenes, but one of my favourites is Marty buying his western gear.
    I also thought the steam train at the end was really cool. I recall it got used quite a bit in the animated series.

3. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

After the rather "cerebral" Part 2, this one is just plain all out fun! No need to worry about getting confused with the various timelines and travel dates. The third one is built more or less on the template of the first movie:
    • Marty travels back in time where Doc is
    • Damages the DeLorean upon his arrival
    • Makes enemies with a Biff
    • Meets his progenitors
    • Returns back to 1985 courtesy of an improvised way to get the DeLorean to 88mph
    Of course there's a lot of other fun elements added as well. Marty picking the name "Clint Eastwood" is really amusing (Clint himself thought so too when the producers went to get his permission to use his name in the movie). :biggrin Doc's massive 1885 refrigerator is something too!

It was interesting to see a little bit of a role reversal in this movie between Marty and Doc. While in the first and second one, Doc was the adult, trying to keep Marty out of trouble and continuously reminding him about the consequences of his actions. Here in part 3 it is Marty who has to knock sense into a smitten Doc Brown. Clara is also a very interesting and likeable character.

The climax scene is no doubt the most exciting one! Again it is similar in execution and suspense to the first movie's climax, but a little more drawn out. Seeing the DeLorean getting destroyed was heart-breaking no doubt. :( Even though Doc returns with his time-travelling train, it can never replace the DeLorean. It is thought provoking as to how Doc Brown in the 19th century was able to build another flux capacitor for his time-travelling train. The first flux capacitor took Doc Brown thirty years and his entire family fortune to build and that too in a time when many components/materials were available. But I'm thinking too much into this! :geek

A little bit of trivia: Michael J. Fox nearly died in real life during the hanging scene!

LiamABC likes this.