Movie Club: Robin Hood - Men In Tights

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Aug 4, 2019.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE LATEST DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB. A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

This week we're concluding the Robin Hood fest: after examining the two most successful films of the legend, we're going to watch the one that parodied them, namely Robin Hood: Men In Tights by Mel Brooks, and starring Cary Elwes.

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one), and anyone is welcome to add their thoughts about movies already discussed on their respective threads.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these movies, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I am really not a fan of this movie or most Mel Brooks movies in general.
    It's defintely a parody of Costner's Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves.
    Elwes was really wasted in this role as Robin. I
    ronically Cary Elwes would have been a superior choice to play Robin in Prince of Thieves rather than Costner. He is charismatic and has the classic swash buckling look like Erol Flynn. If the roles had been reversed just think how much POT could have been better with a superior Robin.
    It has some good moments like the stick fight with Little John.
    Personally I think a lot of the humour and gags fall a bit flat and just aren't that funny.
    Too much of the film is also quite slow and a bit boring.
    It's an okay movie for a parody comedy but it's not one of Brook's best films.

3. LiamABC

I've just watched this film for the first time and it was a hoot. As long as you know going in it's a parody you know you can laugh.

It reminded me a lot of Monty Python. I can easily imagine Graham Chapman as Robin and John Cleese as the Sheriff - indeed, Roger Rees who plays the Sheriff here looked a bit like Cleese.

Cary Elwes is absolutely great in the lead and would have made a damn fine Robin in a serious movie. Better than Costner that's for sure.
    Most of the supporting cast are a little flat, but Brooks himself as "Rabbi Tuckman" steals every scene he's in.
    I can only assume Patrick Stewart put on a Scottish accent to parody Sean Connery's performance in the same role.

I question having the songs in it, but otherwise enjoyed it.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It's not up to the standards of "High Anxiety", "Blazing Saddles" and "Spaceballs".
    I think the biggest problem with "Me In Tights" is the story is too close to "Prince of Thieves".

5. LiamABC

Well it is a parody of that film in particular, although it also has some scenes parodying the Errol Flynn one.

I haven't seen any of the three you listed there, I've seen The Producers and Young Frankenstein. Bloody hell, when he dies we'll have to do a few!

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I don't think we have to wait for that before we cover some of is other films.

7. LiamABC

True. I don't doubt I'd enjoy them, so maybe after Rambo 2 we can cover some of his.

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Blazing Saddles is probably the most famous one although I do really like High Anxiety. Haven't seen all of Young Frankenstein.

9. LiamABC

In that case we'll do Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, and save The Producers, which is really more famous, for when he goes.