Movie Club: Teen Wolf

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Nov 3, 2019.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE LATEST DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB. A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

This week we're covering Teen Wolf. Not a film I've seen myself, this was picked by Mark M. This is a belated end to our run of "scary theme" movies surrounding Halloween.

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one), and anyone is welcome to add their thoughts about movies already discussed on their respective threads.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these movies, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I always really loved this movie. Not so much the basketball part of it, although I did enjoy playing basketball at school when we got chance to play it.
    Werewolves were always quite fascinating. Oh course this one was quite different being that this one easy easily accepted rather than feared and becomes a basketball sensation and superstar at the school.
    I first recall seeing the trailer for this movie a VHS of Gobots Battle of the Rocklords. Around the same time I also seen the animated Teen Wolf cartoon.

Michael J. Fox was great as Scott Howard. I think Scott is a far more likeable and interesting character than Marty McFly. But then again I think this is a far better movie than Back to the Future.
    I loved Susan Ursitti as Boof. Probably my biggest 80's crush just from this one movie. This is one of only a couple movies where she was the main character. I have seen almost all of her other credits are just minor roles. She was perfect for the part. I always found Boof a lot more attractive than Pamela. What was Scott thinking lol.
    I also enjoyed Scott Arnold as Mick the jock bully and captain of the other team.
    Matt Adler is also in this movie who is in another one of my favourite movies White Water Summer.

My favourite scenes are the surfing on top of the van, the liquor store scene and Scott's first transformation.
    Although if I had to pick a real favourite it would be the very end when Scott's walks past and ignores Pamela to go to Boof. :)

This movie was also written by Jeph Loeb who wrote a lot of comics and movies and TV shows. In some ways this movie is a lot like a superhero movie when you consider how Scott's father warns him about using his powers etc a bit like Uncle Ben in Spider-Man.
    The soundtrack is really good. It's from this movie I first heard and always liked Surfin USA.

Overall I love this movie and I am glad we covered it in Movie Club.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 9:22 PM
  3. LiamABC

Just seen this for the first time. It's interesting to see Michael J. Fox in something other than Back To The Future, but to say this is better than BTTF is just plain wrong.

The plot is basically the DuckTales episode "Superdoo" - the only real difference being that Scott is a bit more average and well-liked, he doesn't feel like an outcast until after he becomes a wolf, unlike Doofus, who sees the crystal as a means of impressing people. As such the DuckTales episode makes more sense. It's not believable that the other kids idolise Scott when he turns into the wolf. They would run in terror, with Boof eventually reaching out to him tentatively. Also the fact of it just being in the genes is just lazy writing. Moreover, seeing some minor beginnings of the change happening in the opening basketball sequence is just plain wrong, they should have established his normal persona completely before showing the slightest hint of any changes.

The script was so riddled with clichés as to have absolutely no hold on my attentions. Lazy writing. Predictable to the nth degree. The question of choice between Boof and Pamela, the showdown between the dad and the principal, the final basketball game, cliché, cliché, cliché. The only thing that made me smile was the fact of the overweight kid showing himself to have some genuine basketball skills at the end - showing that being overweight doesn't stop you from being fit and healthy. Hell, he should have been the main character, would have made for a much more interesting, and believable, movie.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I will admit some of it is a bit clich'e and predictible. And yes there is some problem with the script.
    A lot of my like for the movie is really just more out of nostalgia.
    But I still think it's a better movie than Back to the Future.

As for Scott's changing not all werewolf changing has to happen with a full moon. The wolf gene was just strating to affect him in other ways before his first full transformation.

Also it was nice MJ Fox was cast as a basketball player as he isn't very tall and basketball players are usually very tall.
    As for the overweight kid on the team I think it was more down to the lack of anyone else rather than his talent but yes it was cool that he even got some time in the big game to show he had some skill. But as you say a movie can only have one unbelievable thing in the story, so if we take the werewolf aspect of the story to be unbelievable I think adding the him being overweight and a good basketball player being a bit too much for the audience to acept but it would have made it more comedic.

5. LiamABC

Firstly, I never said it had to be a full moon. I just said "they should have established his normal persona completely before showing the slightest hint of any changes" - I didn't say anything about what should cause those changes.

Secondly, someone being overweight and good at sport is not an unbelievable thing, it is perfectly possible. It's unusual at the topmost professional level I grant you but it's still possible. I should know, I was deadly with a cricket bat in school - in more ways than one!

And thirdly, get that time travel bee out of your bonnet FFS!

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It would be hard to establish much more of his normal persona in the span of one movie. There was a sequel but it was really terrible. Basically the same story over again but with Scott's cousin and instead of basketball it revolves around boxing.

I know some overweight people are good at some sports but like I said an overweight guy who is also a werewolf would be a bit too much.

Also cricket is not a real sport....it's in the same league of sports as darts, snooker and golf. The only difference being it's more boring and you need even less skill to play it.
    The bat is okay though, I liked the scene in the TMNT movie when Casey used the cricket bat in the fight with Raphael.

7. LiamABC

First, I simply meant show his normal persona in full before any changes happen. Get us used to him as a normal teen and THEN hit us with the beginning.

Second, I didn't say the overweight guy had to be a werewolf! Just a movie showing that overweight people can be perfectly fit and healthy!

Third, cricket is a real sport, as are snooker and golf. Cricket involves running, and the cumulative walking totals in snooker and golf add up to a lot more than you expect. I'd agree there's a question mark about darts, but as for the rest, they're all more proper sports than the famously fixed wrestling.

How many points do you have to miss and keep on missing?

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Wrestling (as in Olympic and varsity etc) is a real sport and not fixed. Professional wrestling is fixed and entertainment.

I honestly can't say which ''sport'' (being really generous calling it that) is more boring to watch. Cricket, golf or snooker. But I will say at least they involve actual physical movement but still boring to watch like motor vehicle racing.

I meant in terms of the movie. Come to think of it I can't really think of many films about overweight athletes. The only exceptions being Nacho Libre and Beverly Hills ninja. Granted the latter is a sport movie as such but it is about an overweight martial artist.

9. LiamABC

Cricket, golf and snooker all have specific scoring objectives. Wrestling is just two blokes groping each other to impress a panel of judges, discounting it as a sport on two levels.

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Wrestling involves using skill and strength to pin an opponent to the ground and score points.
    In fact the vast majority of combat sports involve the participants scoring points in individual and team combat.

11. LiamABC

Wrestling involves two nearly-naked people groping each other on the floor.

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

They wear more than cage fighters and sumo wrestlers.

They should make a Teen Wolf 3 about a wrestler LOL.

13. LiamABC

Still more a fetish than a sport.

If you want to see someone with wolf-like powers wrestling, I refer you to Wolverine's introduction in the first X-Men movie.

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I wasn't keen on the X-Men movies or Wolverine in them in general but that seen was okay.
    There was a horror movie a few years ago called Monsters Brawl about various monsters wrestling and it features a few wrestlers but from what I have heard it is a terrible movie and based on some of the actors and wrestlers involved I am not surprised.