Movie Club: The Breakfast Club

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Sep 22, 2017.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE RELAUNCHED DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB, DESIGNED TO RUN PARALLEL WITH R.O.C.K.S.
    A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

This week, we're back in the 1980s with "The Breakfast Club", picked by Mark M - I will be watching this for the first time in my life.

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one), and anyone is welcome to add their thoughts about movies already discussed on their respective threads.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

Daremonger likes this.
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I've seen The Breakfast Club. It was pretty well done. :)

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The Breakfast Club is not just a great movie...it is an ICONIC 80's movie.
    I first seen this movie around 2002/2003 when over the summer holidays my cousin let me watch his VHS tape of it as I had been telling him about the 80's Transformers movie and mentioned the name Judd Nelson voicing Rodimus Prime...whom I had never heard of before and my cousin told me he was in TBC and a bit about the movie.
    I like how all the characters are so different to each other yet they all have their own back story...it kind of reminds me a bit of the movie IT and Stand By Me.
    All the characters have their moment to shine in the movie.
    This movie probably sounds a bit mundane to anyone who hasn't seen it, being a brat pack teen comedy drama about a group of high school students who don't know each other all having to do detention on a Saturday.
    But if anything that is probably one of it's biggest strengths as pretty much everyone can identify with it having had a similar type of high school/college experience.
    This isn't some crazy far fetched story. For the most part the jokes, fun and excitement comes from things that could actually kind of happen that the audience has experienced and can relate to like back talking to a teacher, disobeying the rules and leaving the detention room etc.
    The actors cast for the parts were very well chosen and in my opinion played the parts perfectly.
    The soundtrack and theme song are wonderful.
    I love this movie. I even have a t-shirt of The Breakfast Club. :D

4. LiamABC

I have just seen this movie for the first time in my life. I could tell from the get-go that it was something I was going to enjoy, and I wasn't disappointed.

It's very theatrical, the action for the most part being confined to the one set (the library): it's basically five different student archetypes in detention, and as the movie unfolds we learn more about them all, why they are there, all the problems they have at home etc, and gradually they begin to bond.

It works because we can all identify with one or other of these characters, we were all one or other of them in our own youth.

The most interesting character is Bender. He starts out being the archetypal bully who will - and does - take a pop at anyone. But then in the middle, when they're trying to get back to the library after their little sortie to the locker room, he basically "takes one for the team" - he correctly surmises that if he can distract the teacher for long enough to give the others time to get back to the library, Mr Vernon will not think to suspect that the others had anything to do with it. Predictably, he comes from the most broken home of the bunch.

Conversely, Claire, the archetypal prom queen, starts off very nice and supportive towards the others when Bender has a go at them but ultimately ends up revealing herself to have a very shallow superficial streak. She basically trades on her looks (and her parents' money) to get ahead in life. How she and Bender end up together at the end is beyond me. I doubt they stayed together long. He could do so much better.

Andy, the jock, is similar, but more human. He ultimately does feel remorse about what he has done wrong. He's trying to be the good guy, he acknowledges when he's at fault.

Brian, the intellectual, is the character I can probably relate to the most. His insecurities lie in his intellect - he gets A grades in everything, the one time he gets an F, he sees it as a stain on his character. I feel pain on his behalf when he's the only one not coupled up at the end. However, he gets to have the last laugh against Mr Vernon by his comments about how "you've already judged us".

As for Alison - I can't really pin her down. She's the quiet one for a long time, it's very late in proceedings indeed before she opens up. At first she appears to be a dreamer, but then turns out to have a very weird streak running through her, she is as disturbed as Bender but without the aggression. Ultimately, she still manages to retain a modicum of honesty and decency, despite admitting to being a compulsive liar.

This would work very well as a stage play.

Mark M likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I am glad you liked the movie Liam.
    You raise and interesting point. In terms of relating to one of the characters. I really can't relate specifically to just one character. In High School I was a mix of Allison, Bender, Andy and Brian. I was good at art but quite quiet like Allison, I love metal and rock music and dressed like Bender (outside school as we had to wear uniforms) but I liked some sports like wrestling etc like Andy and I am quite smart on subjects like Art and German and had (and still have lol) a lot of quite nerdy interests.

6. The Drifter

The Drifter Berbill

The Breakfast Club is my favorite '80's teen film, my favorite John Hughes-related film, & one of my top ten all-time favorite films ever, period (and I'm a huge film fan & have seen literally hundreds of movies).

As a teen in high school when I first saw this film on VHS tape back in the '80's (about a year after it was released in '85), it really spoke to me. I attended a H.S. similar to the one in the film, and could really relate to the characters & the situations.

Truly brilliant movie, that unquestionably transcends the generation when it was made...i.e., I'm sure some teens that have grown up in subsequent years can still relate to TBC to some extent...Though the whole movie is great, the ending scene with Judd Nelson walking alone across the football field & doing the fist pump, while Simple Minds' Don't you Forget about me plays over the whole scene is truly sublime, and IMHO is one of the most iconic closing scenes in cinema. As it turns out the, DYFAM was played several times in the film prior to that scene, but I like how the movie closes with the song, bringing everything full-circle.

It's interesting to re-watch this as an adult, since, going along with the complaint the Vice Principal in the film (P. Gleason) has, the kids going to the H.S. at that time are now running the country ;)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Mark M and LiamABC like this.
  7. LiamABC

Welcome to the group Drifter! Feel free to chip in on any past Movie Club or ROCKS discussion too!

I suppose yeah, the five characters are stereotypes, and we probably recognise a bit of ourselves in more than one of them. Yes, I have Brian's intellectual side, Alison's quiet side, and Andy's trying to be the good guy. I think the archetypes are valid overall though, and however much we like to mix and match, there's one character that we each resemble more than the others, in my case Brian.

8. The Drifter

The Drifter Berbill

Thanks very much. Yes, I agree about TBC. I definitely see myself in some of the characters, and/or knew kids like them in high school.

Going along with this, the end of the film with the AMH voice-over is really interesting, because it literally addresses the fact that most people see these kids as stereotypes, i.e. "The Criminal" (Judd Nelson), "The Brain" (AMH), "The Jock" (Emilio Estevez), etc. However, each character was shown to be a lot "deeper" in the film - i.e., they were, overall, each more than they appeared to be on the surface.

LiamABC likes this.