Movie Club: The Goonies

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Aug 10, 2018.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE LATEST DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB, DESIGNED TO RUN PARALLEL WITH R.O.C.K.S. A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

This week we're going with another 80s title: The Goonies

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one), and anyone is welcome to add their thoughts about movies already discussed on their respective threads.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these movies, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

2. The Drifter

The Drifter Active Member

Great '80's film. I actually saw "The Goonies" at the theater in Summer '85 - twice. At the time I was roughly the age of the kids in the movie, so could relate to the film from that standpoint.

Great adventure movie, with a good theme of working together/team-work; this is something that could be applied to every day life as well. Very funny sequences in some scenes, and very dramatic in others.

I do remember the young Asian actor in this film also played "Short Round" in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" - which had come out in 1984, the previous year (another movie I saw in the theater).

Mark M likes this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

This is a really great movie.
    The characters are all quitter likeable and interesting.
    The story is quite simple but it just works really well.

I always found the scene with Brand on the bicycle very funny.

A really interesting scene is when the kids see the pirate ship. When that was filmed they wanted to capture their natural real surprise at seeing the ship so none of them were allowed near that set until they were ready to filmed seeing it for the first time.

A few years back when I got this movie on DVD I quite enjoyed the special features which included the music video for the Cyndi Lauper theme song "The Goonies 'R' Good Enough". The video features most of the cast along with The Bangles and some of 80's WWF wrestlers, Roddy Piper, Iron Sheik, Lou Albano, Wendi Richter, Freddie Blassie, Nikolai Volkoff and Andre The Giant.

4. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Just seen this for the first time. Definite thumbs up from me.

In a nutshell, it could be described as Indiana Jones meets Home Alone - the latter part making even more sense when you remember that it, like this, was written by Chris Columbus.

Also reminds me a little bit of the opening story of DuckTales.

These 80s classics managed to just stay on the right side of schmaltzy, and this is no exception. Beautifully handled, nothing about it is overdone.

I was intrigued at the start of the film when I heard REO Speedwagon's song "Wherever You're Goin' (It's Alright)" - I bought their compilation "Best Foot Forward" especially for that song a few years back. If I'd known it was on this soundtrack, I'd have bought that instead to avoid all the unnecessary duplication. REO Speedwagon are a band I have way more GH comps of than I need, along with Foreigner and especially The Hollies. Don't get me wrong, I love all three bands, it's just, well, I don't need six or seven best-of's of them! Meh, maybe I should just go get this soundtrack . . .

Cyndi Lauper's song for the film is fun, although apparently she herself always hated it, and dropped it from her setlist for 20yrs until finally caving in to the fans' wanting to hear it. (Actually something similar recently happened with Styx and their hit Mr Roboto).

And as for the name of the pirate - "One-Eyed Willy" - I don't know if Willy has the same meaning in the US at it does here in the UK, but I couldn't help thinking of something else when I heard that name. Sorry for lowering the tone, but it has to be said!

In any event, this film was fun. I would watch again.

Mark M likes this.