Movie Club: The Lost Boys

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Oct 19, 2019.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE LATEST DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB. A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

This week we're covering The Lost Boys. Not a film I've seen myself, this was picked by Mark M.

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one), and anyone is welcome to add their thoughts about movies already discussed on their respective threads.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these movies, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

2. The Drifter

The Drifter Berbill

Great choice! The Lost Boys (1987) is one of my favorite movies. I never saw it when it was first released, but did watch it (for the first time) at a special Midnight movie theatrical showing in Fall 2001. Most recently, I saw the film on Blu-ray, and it looked better than ever before.

Excellent, iconic horror film with many comedic moments. The make-up effects were amazing as well - even by today's standards. I especially enjoyed the very beginning of the film, when the two teens (with their mother) moved to the California beach town - and it was immediately obvious that the area had sinister over-tones re: the punks hanging around, the missing kids posters, etc.

Being a fan of comic books when I was a kid, I appreciated the large comic store that was featured in the movie.

I've never been to Santa Cruz, CA (where the movie was filmed) but it's got amazing scenery; the amusement park/boardwalk attractions seem like a good reason to visit the town. I guess you just have to watch out for all the vampires [​IMG]

-Also worth mentioning is The Lost Boys: The Tribe (2008). I've seen it a couple of times over the years and I thought it was well-done, and a worthy sequel to the original. Great vampire effects, and a good story as well - though a lot heavier on the CGI than the original had been. I liked the continuity of having Corey Feldman reprise his role as one of the Frog Brothers. He had seemingly aged very little in the 20 years since the '87 original. Cool to see the late Corey Haim have a cameo in the movie as well.

Mark M likes this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I love this movie. This was among the first horror films I ever saw. Although I didn't get to see it fully as it was on quite late one night over the summer holidays in the early/mid 90's on Channel 4 I think around 95? I didn't know the name of the movie until seeing it years alter around 2008. The scene I remembered the most was Sam in the comic book shop with the Frog brothers and Michael on the bridge.

The setting is great and so different compared to where most vampire movies are set. Most would think of castles and Transylvania and European countries. But instead it's a beach town in California in the (at the time) present day 1980's.
    It is so 80's. Not just the fashion and music. It has a great soundtrack. But it has so many other things like the Molly Ringwald Breakfast Club poster the VHS rental store.

This was of course one of the first movies to feature the two Coreys. Corey Haim and Corey Feldman. And definitely my favourite. Although I do really like licence to drive.
    In fact aside from this Vampire movie Haim also starred in a pretty good Stephen King Werewolf movie Silver Bullet.
    Kiefer Sutherland really stole the show as David.
    Jason Patric was also great as Michael.
    Haim was very good as Sam wanting to protect his family.
    The Frog Brothers were brilliant as the vampire hunters.

One of the funniest scenes was how calmly Sam takes Michael turning into a vampire just going to his room and telling him just wait until their Mum finds out LOL.
    The final attack on the house almost has a bit of a Home Alone vibe to it....like what Kevin would do if he was defending the house from Vampires instead of two Burglars.

No doubt influenced movies and TV shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Twilight etc. But the Lost Boys is a lot cooler.
    A very fun enjoyable horror movie. One of...if not the best vampire movies.

The Drifter likes this.
  4. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Just seen this for the first time. I'm not really into horror or vampires or all that, but this wasn't too bad. It was the 80s, it was child-friendly, it had enough comic moments in it too.

There was definitely a Home Alone vibe to this - along with the Frog Brothers who think they're the vampire-fighting version of the Ghostbusters. This was very 80s. Also I couldn't help noticing the Frog brothers were called Edgar and Allan. No coincidence there!

The identity of the "head vampire" was a very interesting point. You were supposed to assume it was David initially, but that was a fairly obvious front. The other candidates were either Max or Star, and while there were plenty of bluffs and feints, it was fairly obvious which of them it was in good time before the "big reveal". And let's face it, it id the 80s!

The one thing that confuses me is the scene in the middle when it looks like an unidentified something is attacking Max. It doesn't really make sense.

I was glad my eyes weren't deceiving me at the start when I thought "is that Alex Winter?" - and quickly saw his name on the cast. Curiously, the Frog Brothers talk a bit like Bill & Ted. Hmm, Bill And Ted playing Ghostbusters, now there's a weird mashup!

And always good to hear the voice of Lou Gramm (the original singer in Foreigner), singing "Lost In The Shadows" - when Michael accepts the invite to join the vampire crew on the bike ride.

Would I see this film again? Probably not. It's one of those films that you need to have fallen in love with as a kid for it to hold that power. I recall Wilycub saying something equivalent about Home Alone a while back. But for what it is, it's not bad. And yes, you could see right at the end that the grandpa character was gearing up to give us a zinger.

Mark M likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

@The Drifter glad you liked my choice. :)

@LiamABC I know horror films aren't your thing but I am glad you gave this a chance and didn't think it was too bad.