Movie Club: The Producers

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Sep 21, 2019.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE LATEST DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB. A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

This week we're looking at another classic Mel Brooks movie, the 1967 original of The Producers, starring Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder.

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one), and anyone is welcome to add their thoughts about movies already discussed on their respective threads.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these movies, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Like I said on some previous discussions I am not a fan of Mel Brooks films.
    This was okay and had some funny scenes.
    But overall I am not too interested in the plot of the movie and found it rather boring.
    Good cast, Gene Wilder is great as usual.
    Not sure if it's with covering three Books movies in a row but this was a bit of a chore.
    The movie is okay but overall it just doesn't interest me.
    Like I said before, not really a fan of Brooks film. Although I do like Blazing Saddles...well most of the film.

3. LiamABC

Well you're just meh about comedy in general, I've noticed over the years.

This film is one of the great comedy capers - influenced by the old Ealing comedies, so many of which are about characters trying to get away with something. Look at films like Kind Hearts & Coronets, The Lavender Hill Mob and The Ladykillers - these would have had a profound effect on Mel Brooks in his younger days. The other thing that influenced this is Laurel & Hardy. That's even more apparent in the remake, with Nathan Lane & Matthew Broderick playing Bialystock & Bloom respectively, and there's a much more Laurel & Hardy feel to it than the original, in which Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder are effectively playing versions of themselves. The remake is not as good as the original because the remake is a film of the stage musical and has a much more theatrical vibe to it - it would work better on stage, while the original here works much better as a film in its own right.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I love The Ladykillers and I like comedies with interesting plots and characters. There are certain ''comedies'' be them movie or sitcoms that just do not appeal to me.

5. LiamABC

You do? You could have fooled me!

This film is good because of the detail they go to - they think of everything to make their musical fail. The line "where did I go right?" is perfect when it does. Of course, you sort of know it's bound to be a hit, and to be fair, the wordplay of "I lieb you, now lieb me alone!" was good - surprising that Bialystock & Bloom didn't think to remove it from the script, but maybe they didn't spot its potential. Some things turn out very differently in actual performance to how they look on the page. And Brooks did need something to justify the audience stopping leaving and returning to their seats after all.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think the problem is I am not a big Brooks and then the fact we already covered two movies already made me a lot less enthusiastic about the movie.
    I do like BlazinSaddles and High Anxiety...even Spaceballs has some moments.
    Perhaps I will have a different opinion on the movie if I watch it again sometime by itself rather than so soon after watching some of his other films before it.
    It's reminds me of the time I got a lot of Alfred Hitchcock DVDs and watched them all closely together. All fine films but the two I left to last, as they interested me the most, I still found a bit boring and a chore to get through. And I really like Hitchcock's movies! So you can imagine what it was like watching movies from a director who's directing/humour I am not too keen on.

7. LiamABC

Maybe. We'll do a more serious film next. Certainly getting to the end of a big box set can bring a sense of relief. I just finished watching Dad's Army again at the weekend, hadn't seen it in about 12yrs. Fun.

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I was thinking with Halloween coming up we could do something with a bit of a horror theme to it.

Dad's Army was pretty good. I got the DVD set a couple years ago and watched it all and it was very enjoyable...although the last couple series weren't great, especially after Walker was written out.

Some humour and stories though in some sitcoms really just don't hold up over time. There are some shows I have fond memories of, but re-watching them they just really aren't that appealing.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  9. LiamABC

We did that last year as I recall. That gives me an excuse to put The Birds on here, because it's one I need to watch again.

Dad's Army is a timeless classic - it's a bit unfair to say Walker was "written out", as the actor who played him had just died, ironically one of the younger cast members. The reason the episodes after his death are a little weaker is because the older cast were getting a bit frail and they couldn't do as many "active" episodes as before. But the final series was a nice farewell to them.

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The Birds is more of a horror/thriller, more of a thriller in my opinion...but it would be a nice start I guess to doing a few horror films for October and Halloween.
    But there is some other great classics we can cover like The Lost Boys, Halloween, The 'Burbs, The Fog etc.

I said written out as he didn't leave the show and they didn't kill his character off or replace him.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  11. LiamABC

They couldn't kill Walker off because the opening scene in the very first episode shows all the characters 20yrs on, Walker along with the rest of them, and they couldn't recast the role - think of how you'd moan if they recast Princess Leia in the final Star Wars film.

As for The Birds, the one time I saw it it wasn't much of a thriller. That's why I want to watch it again just to see if I was being too harsh on it that time. It was over 6yrs ago so who knows.

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think they made the best decision writing him out.
    Don't get me started on Star Wars. At this point I really couldn't care less what they do after the Disney abominations. Nothing Disney does to the franchise would surprise me. They will do anything to try and make more money from Star Wars destroying the characters and story George created with the Original Trilogy. Actually if if they recast Leia and everyone else to undo and erase the Disney movies, The Last Jedi especially, I would be cool with it.

Well I iguess it's The Birds this week then. I have only seen it a couple times. I like it but the film does have some issues. It will be nice to see what I think of it now.

13. LiamABC

You would be cool with something? Well, they do say there's a first time for everything.