Movie Club: The Shining

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Oct 22, 2017.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE LATEST DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB, DESIGNED TO RUN PARALLEL WITH R.O.C.K.S.
    A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

For October, we've picked a few scary movies in the runup to Halloween. This week we're doing "The Shining", picked by Mark M.

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one), and anyone is welcome to add their thoughts about movies already discussed on their respective threads.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these movies, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

2. The Drifter

The Drifter Berbill

The Shining (1980) is an amazing film. Extremely creepy, and one of the better film adaptations of a Steven King novel. The isolation that the family feels while in the haunted hotel during an especially cold, dark winter is almost palatable. The ghost scenes are especially effective here, especially the creepy twins....

Mark M likes this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

What an amazing film. One of Kubrick's masterpieces and one of the best movie adaptions of a Stephen King book.

This a wonderful adaption of the book as a film even though it's not entirely accurate to the book. There was a more book accurate TV movie made in the mid 90's but it was nowhere near as good as the 1980 version.
    One thing I have noticed with some of King's work is that just because it reads good in the book, it doesn't always come across so well in film.
    For example if the film had been accurate to the ending/ the events in the last quarter of the book it really would not have been anywhere near as tense or thrilling.

Another thing is the book is set at the end of the summer to during the winter. So a lot of the events during autumn weren't covered.
    They also left out a lot of the back story as to why Jack took the job...but to have included that would have spoiled the movie in my opinion.

Jack Nicholson really stole the show with his performance as Jack Torrance. Although Shelly Duvall was also great. I would say though that the actors in the 90's version looked more like how they were described in the book.

I am currently reading Stephen King's IT and a few days ago I found out that Halloran the cook makes an appearance in that book.

4. The Drifter

The Drifter Berbill

Yes, The Shining is definitely iconic - one of Kubrick's best, and he directed a lot of amazing movies. I can't imagine anyone other than Nicholson playing the title role. He did a good job of playing someone who was emotionally unstable to begin with, but then was driven "over the edge" by the "demons" in the hotel. Shelley Duvalll is a great actress as well, and I always liked her in any film she was in (her acting heyday was in the '70's & '80's).

Good points about the Stephen King novel vs. the film. The novels are always better, and have a lot more detail. One of the elements I specifically remember about the novel vs. the film was that in the book, there was a little more description re: the Halloran cook character & his conversations/interactions with the kid re: the "gift" they both had (telepathy, or whatever it was). Halloran was played by Scatman Crothers in the film. Obviously, since the thoughts of characters can be described in the novels, there will, by definition, be more detail.

Also, as you noted, there was a made-for-TV mini-series of The Shining that came out back in the '90's. I saw it once, and did find it decent - it definitely had more detail that wasn't in the 1980 film, with better effects - a specific example was that the topiary (the bushes cut/carved into animal shapes) came alive in this mini-series, but due to the special effects limitations in the late '70's this didn't happen in the '80 movie. That being said, this 1990's version wasn't nearly as powerful or iconic as the 1980 film.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Mark M likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Iconic is definitely the right word to describe Kubrick's version.

I can't say I've ever seen Shelly Duvall in many films. The Shining and Suburban Commando are the only two that come to mind.
    Scatman Crothers was great as Jazz in Transformers. I didn't realise when I first seen The Shining that that was the actor who voiced Jazz. Oddly enough in IT Halloran is in a jazz band.

I know what you mean about the effects. I think the topiary/garden animals scene is a good example. The effects in the 90's had better technology to create that scene but to be honest it still didn't come across as scary as it was intended to be. I like how in Kubrick's version the animals are there in the garden/maze even though they aren't used for that scene.
    The ending in the book is vastly different to the film. I really don't think if they had tried to create that scene with the boiler room that the movie would have been as good as it is.

The Simpsons parody of The Shining in Halloween Special Treehouse of Horror V was great.