Movie Club: Three Men And A Little Lady

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Jun 2, 2019.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE LATEST DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB. A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

This week we're back in the 1980s with the comedy Three Men And A Little Lady. We would have done this sequel right after the original but for the passing of Doris Day.

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one), and anyone is welcome to add their thoughts about movies already discussed on their respective threads.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these movies, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I always really liked this movie and personally always preferred it more than the first one. Which is quite rare with sequels.

The plot of the first one was good but I found the plot of this one some much more charming and interesting.

A really good thing about this movie is that it's not just a repeat of the first movie.

It was also really nice most of the film is set in England taking it away from the previous setting showing some of the nice English Countryside.

My favourite scene was always scene with the motorbike and sidecar.
    I also really liked the way Ted Reveals his disguise.

Both movies are very good but I always preferred the second.

Really glad we covered this classic in the discussion.

3. LiamABC

Despite being familiar with the original, and having heard of this sequel, I didn't actually see it for the first time until last night.

It's a good sequel in that it builds on the original, it follows on logically where the characters would be after five years. So logically that it's a surprise that it's not Leonard Nimoy directing it again! And it takes the premise of the mother and the three dads and basically puts it into a standard romantic comedy format - only they can't have the three friends fall out the main rival in love has to be some new character. But they still have to get around the internal issues: Tom Selleck's character is the logical one to have these emotions, and so yes it's right that he's the one to be the romantic lead here, but at the same time, the issue of Ted Danson's character being the biological father had to be addressed, and was. Steve Guttenberg is basically just the sidekick in this movie, his character doesn't really have much emotional involvement. Oh well, in a situation like this I guess someone had to draw the short straw.

Of the new cast, Fiona Shaw as Miss Lomax is especially entertaining, very reminiscent of Frances De La Tour as Miss Jones in Rising Damp (a character who was also a teacher, or at least held some position at the local university!). Also it was interesting seeing Sheila Hancock as the mother - I know her from a few things, mainly as herself on panel games like Just A Minute and Call My Bluff, but also as the voice of the witch in the English version of the animated The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe (the American dub had an almost completely different cast for some reason, the witch was played by Beth Porter on that side of the pond). She was also married to the late John Thaw (Inspector Morse, The Sweeney).

There was talk earlier this decade of making a third film, "Three Men And A Bride" - whether that's still a possibility or not I don't know. It could work, basically think Father Of The Bride but with two extra dads!

While I still prefer the original, this is a very worthy sequel.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It would be cool if they did make "Three Men and a Bride".

5. LiamABC

Forgot to mention the music - curiously evocative of Star Wars!