Movie Club Week 2 - Ghostbusters II

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Oct 29, 2016.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE SECOND DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB, DESIGNED TO RUN PARALLEL WITH R.O.C.K.S.
    A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this. It’s going to be an enjoyable ride!

After watching the original 1984 Ghostbusters last week, it was decided that we might as well watch the 1989 sequel "Ghostbusters II" for week 2 already, that will give people more time to ease in (and post suggested titles on the Movie Club introductions thread).

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

Mark M likes this.
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Ghostbusters 2 is usually labelled as following the tradition of not being as good as the first. Which is sad as there really is quite a lot going on that sets this film apart from the first.
    Winston has more screen time and has lost the moustache so he looks more like he did in The Real Ghostbusters cartoon.
    Some nice scenes showing what the characters have been up to since the first movie.
    This movie actually has two good villains.
    There is a lot of really spooky scenes and comedic ones in this movie. The baby being kidnapped and the bath tub scenes are very creepy.
    Vigo the painting really makes the thought of paintings eyes following you around the room really scary lol.
    The court room battle is really good.
    One of my favourite scenes of the movie is Winston and the ghost train.
    Janine looks quite inspired by the cartoon with the red hair and this is the look/hairstyle the animated Janine would go on to have following the movie.
    Like Janine I believe it was following this movie Louis Tully became a member of the cartoon cast and would also get some action figures.
    After the success of this film it really is a shame they didn't make a third one in the early 90's.
    It was pretty cool when Murray put on the jumpsuit again a few years ago. Pity we never got a proper Ghostbusters 3 film. Not counting the video game.

shortfuse and LiamABC like this.
  3. William Graves

William Graves Glass Walker

This movie had some good visual effects in my book.I loved to court scene. The initial story of how NYC pretty much turned against them would have been ideal for a big comeback. But, it may not have lived up to the hype of the first one.

If you can find it there's a fan made movie by hank Braxtan and his company braxtan films (non profit films but his site in now down) called return of the Ghostbusters. Which is part of a a fan movie and comics series. Even got a reference in the official video game. I saw this quite a few years ago from there site.
    http://ghostbustersfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Denver_Ghostbusters

It's non profit so and it's on youtube. I will link it if Liam is ok with that...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  4. LiamABC

If it's OK with the moderators, it's OK with me, so let's hear what they have to say. Wilycub, or anyone else?

5. William Graves

Ok here's an interview with hank Braxtan owner of film with maggot films. Just wanting to show I'm not trying to post anything illegally lol

http://maggotfilms.com/2010/08/20/the-larval-lounge-1-jesus-maggot-interviews-hank-braxtan…/

I know the makers of the Ghostbusters video game (Best game ever! I actually refer to my roommate’s PS3 as the ‘Ghostbusters Machine’) gave you guys a mention in the firehouse, do you know if Dan Aykroyd and/ or Harold Ramis have seen the films?

I’m not sure, actually. I can only assume they’ve heard of them…but who knows. They may have no idea how to watch videos on youtube for all I know.

6. William Graves

He even suggested watching his films on youtube so I'll wait and see what the mods say

7. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

No objections from this admin. :) It is fan made and is on Youtube so that's a double A ok! :thumbsup:thumbsup

William Graves likes this.
  8. William Graves

Here it is. It's a sequel to there freddy vs Ghostbusters (on youtube as well) but it's ok to skip it lol Thanks wily

9. LiamABC

OK, I've finally had another watch of Ghostbusters II, and can finally give some proper thoughts on it.

First off, yes, pretty good. The initial setup of where the characters were worked for me. Egon would have gone back to the world of academia (and is probably doing best out of them), Peter wrangling his way into showbusiness (however peripherally) works too, while Ray was running the occult bookstore. Yes, it fits. The presence of Dana and Louis however is a little more contrived. Well, Louis certainly. Dana is once again the trigger for it all, so fair enough. Louis' first appearance is in court as their lawyer, on the other hand is just an excuse to get him into the action.

Apart from Winston's lack of involvement in the initial stages, they are a proper quartet this time around. Winston rescues Egon and Ray from the burning darkroom - although more could have been made of that, that scene could have been a bit longer. Moreover, the funny bits are rationed out a bit more. We get to see the characters' natures with the jokes, especially Egon. I'm not entirely sure all his jokes work entirely, but the fact that the comedy is not limited to Bill Murray is an improvement.

The concept of this evil despot from the middle ages coming back, that feels like it does come straight out of a horror film (not that I've seen many). It's a decent enough concept. The slime is interesting too, although the exact tie-in between the two is vague. Ray saying the river of slime is in the painting . . . it's not much really. OK, so a solid shell of it surrounds the museum at the end, but Vigo doesn't at any time make any mention of it. The Statue of Liberty gimmick is hard to swallow, and a lot of the last 20min seems a bit cliched.

Overall though, yes. Good. Not as good as the first, but still enjoyable.

William Graves likes this.
  10. William Graves

I was hoping for a better sequence to the ending myself. I get using the statue to rally the new yorkers to all be good and weaken vigo. Bur really, might have worked back then but they would have had trouble figuring that scene put in today's society lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I wonder if the slime thing was done because of the toy sales of the slime. Slime seemed to be a pretty popular toy accessory for the Ghostbusters and TMNT toy lines.
    Oddly enough I can't say I ever owned any. Never really interested me covering my toys in slime. I suppose I was scared of it ruining them.

12. The Drifter

The Drifter Berbill

I saw Ghostbusters II in the theatre back in '89, and at the time I felt it was a lackluster film.

A couple of years ago, I decided to give it another chance & saw the DVD. It's obviously not as great as the first film & takes a while to get going...they wait to show the first apparition during the courthouse scene about 1/2 hour into the film; though I understand this was done because of the plot, IMHO it would have been nice to have shown a ghost/monster earlier, like in the original film.

However, it's still well done, and I liked it much better this second time...the creature effects are excellent & diverse. Plus, it was great to see most/all?! of the original cast in this, including Weaver & Moranis.

LiamABC likes this.
  13. LiamABC

I think the only main cast member who didn't come back for the sequel was William Atherton - he played Walter Peck, the EPA guy who wanted to turn off the grid in the first one, so I can understand how that might have been tricky to get him back in the same role.

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

One thing that always disappointed me about Ghostbuster 1 and 2 (and even the 2017 remake) was the fact that we never got to see them do a ghost bust in a standard haunted house. Something similar to the episode of The Real Ghostbusters cartoon ''The Thing In Mrs. Faversham's Attic''. I think something like that would have been just as entertaining.

Wilycub likes this.
  15. LiamABC

I think the closest we got to that would be the hotel in the first one when they had to nab Slimer originally.

Mark M likes this.
  16. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I agree. But I guess a standard haunted house would have been considered too low-key for a big budget movie like this. With feature movies, the problem always has to be a world-ending catastrophe! :)

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I know what you mean but I think a more low key story would have worked really well as a movie. Especially as a sequel. They wouldn't have to explain forming the team, building the equipment etc. Just think of all the hilarity that could have ensued with them getting ready and traveling to the location and all the goings on in the house and the story of the haunting. It would also have really differentiated it from the other movie.

18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That was a really good scene and could have really worked into the story a lot more. Like maybe if Dana had been staying at the Hotel and she first started seeing things in her room then the rest of the hotel prompting Dana and the manager to contact the Ghostbusters.