Movie Club Week 9 - When Harry Met Sally

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Jan 1, 2017.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE NINTH DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB, DESIGNED TO RUN PARALLEL WITH R.O.C.K.S.
    A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this. It’s going to be an enjoyable ride!

As it's new year's, this week's choice is "When Harry Met Sally" - and also as a tribute to Carrie Fisher.

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one).

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

2. LiamABC

Well, if nobody else wants to say anything, I've just watched it myself - I would have watched it sooner but I've had a whole lot of catching up to do on stuff that was on over the festive period so a film I have on DVD was understandably less urgent.

First off, it's still great. The thing that struck me is, I get something fresh out of it every time I see it. The characters, the concept and everything about it - this is the benchmark that all romantic comedies aspire to. And almost all of them fall short of the mark by a long way. Hardly surprising because this film is just too brilliant.

The characters of Harry and Sally are great - they are both as quirky as each other. Nobody else would put up with them for an instant in real life of course! But then there's Jess and Marie, who support them admirably, and even steal many scenes. Indeed, most of the best scenes in the film include these two characters as well as the two leads. I refer of course to the four of them around the restaurant table, Harry and Sally trying to set each other up with Jess and Marie, but Jess and Marie suddenly clicking with each other! (Like I said, nobody else could really put up with Harry and Sally in real life!) Not forgetting the argument over the wagon wheel coffee table. Then there's the double phone call the morning after Harry and Sally finally spend the night together, beautifully timed on all counts, and when Harry and Sally finally fall out at Jess & Marie's wedding, they emerge into the the hall to find themselves being toasted as the people who got the couple together, however unintentionally! It's loaded with memorable scenes.

Of course, talking about scenes, we cannot overlook THAT scene - where Meg Ryan as Sally just . . . well, you know. Shouts and screams in imagined ecstasy to prove the point about women faking it. I love what the bonus features say about that scene when it was being made. All the women present were smiling and laughing in amusement at the truth of it, all the men had a shudder inside at the sudden realisation that it could have happened to them at some point . . . and then after Sally has finished, the lady on the next table (the director's mother to be precise) delivers that killer line that brings the house down.

The performances are all excellent. Billy Crystal as Harry and Meg Ryan as Sally are more than a match for each other's quirkiness. And supporting them are Carrie Fisher as Marie and Bruno Kirby as Jess. Fisher in particular is excellent, and has plenty of moment to shine. Sometimes it's just little things - like her index cards of the men she knows, when she finds out someone is married, she doesn't rip the card up, she just folds a corner of it over!

The gimmick of interspersing it with actual real life stories of couples meeting up - the couples are played on screen by actors but the stories they recount are genuine (they wanted to have the real couples doing this, I can't remember why they didn't).

It's hard to pick a favourite moment from this film. It's just so perfectly done. I am not generally a fan of romantic comedies, but this will always be an exception. If I visit a friend and they've got it on, well, I'll watch what they're watching!

The Drifter likes this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I haven't been able to really find the movie online and I have never seen it properly, but as soon as I do I will let you know what I think. Same as 20,000 Leagues...
    I'm not sure if its against forum rules etc but maybe if we were to leave a link to the movie to be viewed online it would help people participate in future discussions.

4. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Actually that is against forum rules. One can't post links to free online movies or free software downloads etc.

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I know downloading sites can cause problems etc so I can understand them not being allowed but I was thinking more about YouTube etc. If a movie or episode was on YouTube could that link be posted?

6. Wilycub

Well usually most mainstream movies and current TV series are not posted on Youtube, since that would be illegal. Even if they are then the quality is usually very poor (sped up sound, white glow in the middle etc.) or the video is removed shortly.

For the most part, the only allowable online video links include clips/trailers from movies, movies that were not released on DVD etc. Basically any video which would not cause the makers any loss in revenue by it being on Youtube.

7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It just in terms of the R.O.C.S. discussion thread I was thinking about doing the Robotix TV series/Movie (all the episodes are pieced together as a movie) as it is on YouTube.

8. Wilycub

I don't think that should be a problem. But just to be on the safe side, instead of posting the direct link, you can just mention that it is available on Youtube. :)

Mark M likes this.
  9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I was thinking the next movie we could do would be the Studio Ghibli animated film 'Spirited Away'.

10. Notinumi8

Notinumi8 New Member

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  11. The Drifter

The Drifter Berbill

LiamABC, great review of When Harry met Sally. I'm not a rom-com fan either, but this is one of the few films of this type I actually enjoy. It's a great movie in & of itself, and as an added bonus it's nice to see the late Carrie Fisher in one of her few non-Star Wars roles.

As a straight guy, I completely agree with the premise that serves as the crux of this film: I.e., that men & women can't genuinely just be friends - without wanting to be romantically involved - or, at least, without one of them wanting to be romantically involved.

Of course, everyone remembers that one scene where Sally fakes an $%#%#@ to prove a point - I remember hearing about that scene long before I first saw the film in the 200X's - LOL.

Also really liked the New Year's Eve party scene, and Harry Burns' analysis of what "Auld Lang Syne" actually means - ha ha:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    LiamABC likes this.
  12. LiamABC

I must admit, that premise is very accurate. There may be circumstantial exceptions, but one party will always be wanting a bit more.

The scene where they have the big fight and all communication ceases between them would be the end of it if it was real life! A couple of years ago, I was in just such a situation as that myself, when we fell out around this time last year, it was for good. I felt unclean for ever having loved her.

And yes, Carrie Fisher is especially good in this film - she steals so many scenes!

PS - sorry I've not been posting Movie Club and ROCKS updates quite so frequently of late. Been busy with other stuff. Currently doing the Short Circuit films in Movie Club, and the Flintstones in ROCKS.