Movie Club: Young Frankenstein

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by LiamABC, Aug 30, 2019.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE LATEST DISCUSSION THREAD OF THE NEW MOVIE CLUB. A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

This week we're looking at a classic Mel Brooks movie, Young Frankenstein, starring Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman.

Remember any ideas for films to discuss are most welcome, and should be made on the Movie Club Introduction thread (the sticky one), and anyone is welcome to add their thoughts about movies already discussed on their respective threads.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these movies, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full movie online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the movie in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Gene Wilder is great but that is pretty much the only highlight of this movie.
    I am not a big fan of Mel Brooks films.
    This movie starts off quite good. The first half is fine but the second half isn't as good as the first.
    I didn't find the film that funny and quite boring for the most part.
    Brooks would have been better actually going for a full on horror film than a comedy.
    One really good thing about the film though is visually Brooks captured the look and atmosphere of the older horror movies from the 30-50's.
    It's a shame he wasn't able to do the same with the script.
    The movie really comes across as a wasted opportunity.
    This is movie is neither a good comedy or horror.
    Like I said I am not a fan of a lot of Brooks' movies.

3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

It's been a few years since I saw this film, I'd forgotten a fair few details of it. I put on my late mother's DVD of it but there seemed to be disc error so I had to watch the end online.
    This film was more "a Gene Wilder film" than "a Mel Brooks film" - it was Wilder who had the original idea and he had to do a lot of persuading to get Brooks to direct. Certainly Wilder in the starring role does what he does everywhere else I've seen him - his performance here is pretty much the same as it was in The Producers or Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory. In terms of his vocal delivery he's the original Kelsey Grammer.

Peter Boyle as the monster has a difficult part to play but does it well enough. Having to go on the rampage but retain humanity, and then at the end come out with that speech - tricky. But the real star of this show though is Marty Feldman as Igor. His eyes, the result of a thyroid condition that developed in his younger years, were a blessing here.

I'll admit it was more "mildly amusing" than "laugh-out-loud funny" - and it was a bit too long. I think the setup could have been shortened a bit, but there are some good moments, like the two train journeys, where Frankenstein's different sets of fellow passengers have the same conversation in English and German. The Chattanooga Choo-Choo joke though falls a bit flat.

The bits I found most amusing were the "monster on the loose" sequences with the little girl and the blind man. And of course the singing moments!