"Mumm-Ra Lives!" The Movie

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by thezaxfactor, Jun 12, 2016.

1. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

I just made an interesting discovery! I was looking for a quote from "Mumm-Ra Lives! Part II", so I went to Amazon (naturally). The quote I was looking for is toward the end of the episode, so I jumped ahead to roughly where it ought to have been. Instead, I found myself in the middle of Part III. Huh? Then I looked at the total running time: 47:16—far from the customary 22 minutes. What in Jaga's name is going on here?

Then I rewound to the beginning and found this title card after the theme song:

[​IMG]

The text has similar styling and animation as the "ThunderCats Ho! The Movie" text:

[​IMG]

Instead of "Mumm-Ra Lives! Part II", Amazon has somehow gotten its hands on an edited version of Parts I, II and III billed as "Mumm-Ra Lives! The Movie". There are a few edits:
    • At 16:49 and 17:18, there are cuts to Vultureman's speech explaining his plan for releasing the Lunataks.
    • At 30:57, Lynx-O's explanation of the First Moon of Plun-Darr and Tug-Mug's abilities is cut completely
    • At 31:12, there's a crossfade that completely skips Luna's "Never underestimate an enemy" scene, but you can hear part of her opening line ("We must be able to defend ourselves...") under the fade if you listen carefully.
    • At 38:08, Mumm-Ra's speech gets truncated a bit in the middle

The "movie" ends with the Lunataks going to battle stations in the middle of Part III—quite a cliffhanger.

Could this have aired as a standalone movie, and the broadcast master is still around? Was it a home video release? Does it mirror another region's DVD release? Amazon must have gotten it from somewhere... Does anyone know or remember anything about this?

Daremonger likes this.
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

YouTuber Darian Sewell got a hold of "Mumm-Ra Lives!: The Movie" through Mister 80 Retro:

shortfuse and thezaxfactor like this.
  3. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

the least they could have done was not cut out anything and used all 5 parts. Mumm-ra doesn't get to do much in the 5 parter until the last two episodes.

LiamABC and Daremonger like this.
  4. thezaxfactor

That's it! I guess it was broadcast, and somehow Warner Bros sent Amazon the wrong file? Crazy.

Daremonger likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I lust re-watch both of these specials as I wasn't aware parts were cut from Thundercats Ho the movie until today.

LiamABC and Daremonger like this.
  6. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Interesting, Zax!Thank you!

Daremonger likes this.
  7. Daremonger

How Warner Bros. managed to locate the edited broadcast version of "Mumm-Ra Lives!" is surely a mystery.

8. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Like Zax said, likely just a case of the wrong master being sent. It happens from time to time. Netflix has the US theatrical version of Highlander, and not the directors cut which is what's available on disc. Recently Channel 4 UK was sent and broadcast the wrong master for the Evil Dead remake, with extra scenes not released anywhere.

I'm going to see if I can get someone to capture this version from Amazon so I can preserve it.

Daremonger likes this.
  9. Daremonger

I did notice that the PAL version of "Return to Thundera!" Part 4 was used on the ThunderCats: Season Two: Volume Two DVD instead of the NTSC version.

10. Booshman

Was it not converted peoperly, what was the difference?

thezaxfactor: is this episode in place of part 2 on amazon then? Parts 1,3,4,5 being the usual versions?

Daremonger likes this.
  11. Daremonger

The PAL version of "Return to Thundera!" Part 4 featured a stereoized NTSC track.

12. thezaxfactor

Exactly.

Shall I capture it, too, to be safe?

Daremonger likes this.
  13. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

This certainly is very interesting. I was watching on Amazon this evening, but not these episodes. I will have to check them out at some point soon.

Daremonger likes this.
  14. Booshman

Is it that it was stereo the only difference? I take it they corrected the pitch to play at PAL speed?

If you can capture it please do. The better quality you can get it the better, particularly the audio. If you can get it to me I don't mind re-editing the thing from the DVD's to have it in best quality, but the audio and the title card will be essential to have the best they can be.

Daremonger likes this.
  15. Daremonger

No, I don't believe so. The audio's pitch remained as it was.

16. jabus

jabus Barbarian

Would be great if someone could get a capture of it - I know id be interested in a copy.

Daremonger likes this.
  17. Booshman

Thezaxfactor was good enough to capture it and send it to me. I'm going to use it as a guide and edit it from the DVD's. I'll make a DVD for it and then get it online. I'll post when it's ready.

Daremonger, jabus and thezaxfactor like this.
  18. jabus

jabus Barbarian

Gonna leave it intact content wise? So this will be a stand-alone 48 minute special? Did you happen to do this with ThunderCats HO! by any chance? It be nice to have the standalone of that with the (intro - panthro footage intact - and title card) for the ole collection as well.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    Daremonger likes this.
  19. Daremonger

That's pretty awesome!

20. Booshman

Yeah it will be exactly the same content. I'll just be making sure the quality is as good as it can be.

I already did it for the VHS versions of Exodus and Thundercats Ho.

Daremonger and jabus like this.