Mumm-Ra (original) vs Mumm-Ra (Reboot)

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by mumm_ra_n_rana, Dec 23, 2016.

1. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

Now I'm curious. Who of these two would win in a fight? I know who'd I'd pick for many reasons but I'm wondering what the rest of you think. Who do you think would win and why?

Daremonger likes this.
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I pick 1985 Mumm-Ra, because he has the wits and intellect, not just the magic, to take care of any foes he faces.

3. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I believe the 2011 version. He seemed more sinister and evil. I believe he would go to greater lengths to win.

4. mumm_ra_n_rana

but the original could easily beat him just by opening the blinds. The guy is allergic to sunlight after all and if we're going by mumm-ra after season 1, for the original, a mirror wouldn't cut it anymore.

Daremonger likes this.
  5. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I don't exactly remember what powers the 2011 Mumm-Ra had (I only watched the series once when it came out), but the 1985 Mumm-Ra really was a tough cookie. Apart from almost limitless magical powers, he had superhuman strength. I feel he could take on any cartoon villain in combat and probably win every match.

I'm guessing it was this incredible power that compelled the writers of the original show to come up with the reflection Achilles Heel for him, like Kryptonite for Superman. Personally I don't hate the reflection weakness, but rather I hate the way it was overused in the show. It might have been better if the ThunderCats didn't know about this weakness.

Come to think of it, since the ThunderCats did know about this weakness, why did they even bother fighting Mumm-Ra at all? They could just walk around with a hand mirror in their belt like Vanity Smurf. :biggrin

Tygra_Rules and mumm_ra_n_rana like this.
  6. mumm_ra_n_rana

It's a lich thing, whileycub.

7. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

I think the 2011 version would win in a fight. Especially since the original could only leave his cave in Ever-Living form, while the 2011 version still had strong powers and could leave in his mummy form. And if you add on the stones and the Sword and Armor of Plun-darr....

Also, lets face it, the 2011 version had way more competent underlings.

8. mumm_ra_n_rana

Ummm mumm-ra could leave his pyramid outside of his ever living form. he does so in multiple episodes and it's not a cave it's a pyramid. we're not talking about underlings and we're not talking about new-ra wearing armor or using the sword of omens recolor sword (seeing as the original sword wasn't a cheap knock off)
    Just mumm-ra against mumm-ra in ever living form only using magic against each other. No cheats and no help from anybody.
    Besides if new-ra went against mumm-ra the all powerful and he used his armor he would lose seeing as mumm-ra in his all powerful form caused planet wide chaos.

Wilycub likes this.
  9. balgus82

I only ever remember him leaving the Pyramid in disguises if he wasn't in Ever-Living form. I don't remember him ever leaving as a mummy (or at least not immediately fleeing as he knows he's mostly powerless in that form).

Also I would absolutely count the Sword of Plun-darr in the battle (BOTH Mumm-Ras had one; whether or not you like the weapon is irrelevant). And you never said in the original post that they couldn't use resources available to them.

The only magic you ever see the original Mumm-Ra do in mummy form is magic to trick people. He never exerts any magic that would be useful in a battle like the reboot Mumm-Ra did in mummy form.

Lets also consider that original Mumm-Ra HAS to be in his pyramid to transform into Mumm-Ra the Everliving, and the 2011 Mumm-Ra can do it anywhere. Take out original Mumm-Ra's pool/statues, and you take his power.

adssse likes this.
  10. mumm_ra_n_rana

he's been outside his pyramid in quite a few episodes. Fond memories, the doomgaze, garden of delights. he's use plenty of magic in his mummy form as well. You might not remember it but I do. he doesn't need to stay i that form to be outside the pyramid. rewatch some episodes to refresh your memories.
    I would also like to point out when I said mumm-ra vs mumm-ra I meant ONLY them. What part of that didn't you understand? It was kind of obvious. and at least he's not allergic to SUNLIGHT like the new one is.
    also I'd like to point out in the doomgaze he was in his original form outside the pyramid when he changed into his ever living form to get ta-shi free from her prison.

11. mumm_ra_n_rana

let me make some points as well that you also seem to have forgotten.
    original mumm-ra as I said has been outside the pyramid in his normal form and he's also fought in that form as well. Monkians bargain, garden of delights, ect. also if you're the kind of person who takes the comics as canon he's been outside the pyramid in that form quite a bit, seeing as in dogs of war he came to the thundercats palace in that form when he and lion-o were discussing how to deal with the dogs. Like I Said before he's been outside the pyramid to take on the ever living form quite a few times. do noytignore those times, he just prefers to be in the pyramid when he does it. and he's murdered people as well if you take comics into canon: example poor bengali.

let me point something else out about the newer version. he has also taken different forms to trick the thundercats and to fight them. when he took on the form of panthro and when he took on the form of the monster he attacked them with in the episode with the tree. also let's remember that the original could mind control people so he doesn't just trick people he cna make them do whatever he wants them to.

so far it seems they have done even things.

also both mumm-ras need to return to their pyramids after awhile. If the newer one didn't he could have taken up residence in the thundercats palace but he does and both have used the cauldron/pool to spy on people.

new mumm-ra ALSO likes to take on the ever living form often to fight people like he did against lion-o and when he fought against panthro. and in the flashbacks it was the form he chose to stay in while they were in the pyramid/ship. Look at that? they both prefer that form!

let me point out the fact as I have done before the new one is allergic to sunlight it burns him. he can only really go out at night and during the day he uses his weird tank to get around and stays in the shade. the original could go out anytime he wanted to. his weakness was his reflection, which is a lich related thing, but after season 2 that stopped being an issue.

Now if you want to pit armored mumm-ra against mumm-ra the all powerful (who nearly destroyed third earth in that form) against each other and all powerful mumm-ra who also wields the sword of plun-dar which at that point will be gigantic. I am pretty sure the original would still win.

both mumm-ra have egos. when they fight an enemy they go one on one.

you cannot try to stump me when it comes to mumm-ra. I am the insane fan on here when it comes to either of them. I dislike the newer one but I don't hate him. he's got some cool stuff to him as well but you cannot really say he does certain things the original has not done as well. The newer one just seems more sinister because by 2010 a lot of cartoon censorship was dropped which allowed the writers to do darker things. This does not mean the original never did those things because if you take the comics into consideration and accept them as cannon he HAS.

12. balgus82

One thing I have to say is that I will never, EVER, consider the Wildstorm comics as canon. None of the original creators had anything to do with them, and too many characters acted completely out of character. As far as I'm concerned they're official fan fiction.

I haven't actually read the old Marvel comics, so while I don't believe those are actually canon either, they'd be a heck of a lot closer than the Wildstorm comics.

Maybe my memory is foggy on those specific episodes. I'll admit it's been a year or two since I've watched the show.

My memory of the reboot is foggy too, but I believe in his Ever-Living form he could come out in the day, and it was only his mummy form that couldn't. I mean it was daylight the first time he transformed in the Tower of Omens (and even tho he was inside the tower there were cracks and holes all over the place). He wasn't cast away from daylight, but rather light that Jaga created. I could also be wrong on that point, as I haven't rewatched the show in a few years.

Also now that you mentioned the fact that he was in Ever-Living form on the ship, when he was at full power, he didn't need to be in mummy form at all. Remember at that time he didn't have all the stones yet, nor the sword of Plun-Darr, so neither of those were the reasons he was continuously powered up. In the reboot, the "present" Mumm-Ra is a weakened Mumm-Ra, that isn't yet at full power.

13. balgus82

Also, why create a thread asking our opinions on who would win, and then argue with everyone who disagrees with you?

14. mumm_ra_n_rana

argue? it's a discussion. You seem to be the one who wants to argue by not getting your facts straight about the original and the reboot. Either you don't remember how mumm-ra was in the original series or you're choosing to ignore bits about him.

Both mumm-ra have their own power levels and they both have flaws and weaknesses. Mumm-Rra in his ever living form for the reboot was still weak against sunlight seeing as in the episode when he fights lion-o in the mines in the reboot and sunlight comes through when the roof caves in he freaks out and has to get away from it. I can give him not being hurt by the sun in his armor form because he's wearing armor and it's protecting his body from everything. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they gave him a sunlight weakness in the first place but it is there. Just as mumm-ra had that mirror weakness. But if as you said the sun doesn't hurt him in ever living form and we all know after season 2 mirrors didn't hurt mumm-ra the original let's go by that then.

Both at full power fighting. New-ra in his armor and Mumm-ra the original in his giant all powerful form. But I do want to say the rules don't change between it. They fight one on one and without anyone around them on either side helping.

as for the comic I said IF you consider them canon. I do not for many reasons and neither do you.