Mumm-Ra's powers compared to his OS counterpart

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by srebak, Nov 26, 2016.

1. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

Compared to his abilities in the original series, how would one describe and even rate Mumm-Ra's powers in the reboot series?

Personally, i can't help but view Mumm-Ra's powers in the OS as something that frequently changed, based on the plot of the episode. Also, i think he overused the shape-shifting thing enough times that the TCats should have been more cautious in regards to it, if that makes sense.

In regards to his weaknesses; i feel that having him be vulnerable to the light of day is a far more believable Achilles heel than just looking at his own reflection. Personally, I always found that one a bit silly, to be perfectly honest. In contrast though, having daylight be his weakness, while still being a common cliche, does still line up rather nicely with his whole "omnipotent, all-powerful creature of darkness" vibe, which is quite obviously a major part of his character.

Also, as long as we're on the topic of his powers, can we really call Mumm-Ra's abilities magic anymore? I mean, considering he originally used to rely on advanced technology and it was revealed that the Swords of Omens and Plun-Darr are actually not magical weapons, but conduits for cosmic energy, the notion that Mumm-Ra's powers are magic is left up for debate. This could just as easily be one of those scenarios where Mumm-Ra merely possesses certain abilities that less advanced beings would call magic, but it's really not, at least not in the traditional sense.

Daremonger likes this.
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

While OS Mumm-Ra completely disregards technology, NS Mumm-Ra embraces it.

xluckinekostylex likes this.