My first Thundercats Comic :)

Discussion in 'Vintage Collectables' started by shigsy2003, Apr 6, 2006.

1. shigsy2003

shigsy2003 Crabman

Howdy

So the mail comes today and I find my uncle sent me a Thundercats comic. It is issue 7, May '87 and it is called Big Trouble.

I like comics and this I thought was a very kind gesture on behalf of my uncle.

So yeah, just wanted to tell you all :)

Chris M

2. Cougar

Cougar Crabman

What a cool uncle. if you like the classic comics, you should try the new ones.

3. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

Aha, I'm guessing that what you received was #7 of the UK ThunderCats comic? Very cool, I have that issue in my own collection! :)

Take care... :)

4. Rath Montchar

Rath Montchar Moleman

My very first TC comic was #3 of the US series. Luckily, I found #1 and #2 at a comic shop.

I'm glad to see a thread pop up on the series from Marvel at long last.

5. BigDaddy Thunder

BigDaddy Thunder Junior Member

my first comics were actually just the recent ones from a couple of years ago under dc's wildstorm label. i got the collected trade of the first volume, which was pretty kool. ive heard mixed opinions of vol2 and on but havent chekced them out for myself as of yet, once the summer comes i might have more time tho. congrats on your rare comic find, sounds really kool :)
    -bdt

6. shigsy2003

shigsy2003 Crabman

Howdy

Yep thats the one, although I think it continues, ehich is slightly annoying :(

Thanks Big Daddy :)

Chris M

7. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

The ThunderCats story in the issue is basically a reprint of half of the US TCats #6 - Marvel UK would basically take stories printed in the US Marvel series and split them in half, making up the rest of the UK comic with features and a backup strip (usually Power Pack)... :)

In the early days of the comic they had to do this, as the UK ThunderCats comic was weekly whereas the US Marvel series was bi-monthly (later going monthly) - later on Marvel UK started producing their own stories to go with the US reprints, but even then they stuck to the same format, i.e. a short ThunderCats story with a backup strip. Probably the best period for the UK ThunderCats comic was when they started including a short text story in the middle of the comic, as well as the ThunderCats strip and Power Pack - either that or the later (fortnightly/monthly) incarnation of the UK comic, where they started reprinting stories from earlier issues, but each issue contained two different ThunderCats stories! :)

Take care... :)