New member seeking insight- 1986 Thundercats Posters

Discussion in 'Vintage Collectables' started by Boostedbuford, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Boostedbuford

Boostedbuford New Member

Long story short - My brother who's 20 years older than me recently moved and gave me some of his stuff. Hes been a life-long collector, nothing specific, anything advertsing, pop, gas and oil signs, games etc.. But in one of the boxes he gave were a Bunch of posters all still sealed. I Took one of them out of the plastic and it's turns out there thundercat posters that are in perfect condition. So I started doing a little research on thundercats posters and I didn't come across a single one like these- which is why I ended up here. The date on them is 1986, and it at the bottom it says "this poster is a gift from you Lorimier telepictures and LJN toys.

I'm basically just seeing if anybody knows more information about them?

I stuck the poster in a cheap frame ,the scratches and what not are on the plastic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

What a great find! I've never seen one, but there was a hell of a lot of advertising for the launch of the show. Lot's of stuff trying to show the morals and life lessons that would be covered in the content. "The show you want your kids to watch", and such.

I've always loved that image of the Thundercats, though it is a shame Wilykit isn't on it. If you're selling any of your spares, please send me a PM.

3. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

That's an awesome poster! :D

4. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Those are beautiful! Like Booshman noted I wonder what the reasoning behind the absence of Wilykit is. Nonetheless those are incredible.

5. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

ive seen the poster before. It has been awhile but they pop up on ebay from time to time but not too too often. They are a great find. They are not a small gold mine or anything but you can do decently on them if you are looking to sell them. I believe the last one i saw sold somewhere between $35-$50 (or maybe a little more) It was right around that range though if i am not mistaken. That also was not still in the plastic but i believe in a frame. It is a great find. There are not enough Thundercats advertisement posters out there so glad to see a few surface. I am sure there are plenty of people here, including myself, that would like to add this poster to their collection.

*Wily Kit and Wily Kat were both actually left off of that specific image more often than not. That image with just the main Thundercats is pretty common but it is even more strange for them to put one and not the other. So odd. oh, the 80's who knows what was going on?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  6. Daremonger

I'd love to own a poster like that.

7. SnarfofOmens

SnarfofOmens Berbill

That is a truly awesome find, how big is it? If you are looking to sell please pm me

8. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Very nice poster! May I ask what is the size of the poster?

9. Boostedbuford

Boostedbuford New Member

The poster is roughly 17'' wide and 23'' tall. I couldn't find my tape measure so I used a standard piece of paper and eye-balled it.

I would be interested in selling 4 of the 6 that I have. All still in there plastic sleeve, never been taken out unrolled etc...None of them are creased or bent, but 2 are more squished( oval shaped if you will) maybe that matters to someone? Haha.

If interested send me a PM and an honest offer. I Would like to offer them up to yall before I throw them up on ebay.

10. Booshman

PM sent. :):)

11. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

Wanted to quickly post a correction to some of the comments on here in regards to the poster. This image is from the iconic promotional piece that was created for this poster and all sorts of advertisements and on much of the merchandise for the property.

Part of the image (just Lion-O) was used on the letter head of Telepictures communications, for example: http://www.thundercatslair.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Promo_MummRA_3.jpg

I own this piece which was used as the "print template" prior to a final colour corrected copy was made and later merchandise used that final template as the basis for printing and imaging. http://heman.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_info.asp?ItemID=203671

In every version Wilykit is absent from the image. This may have been an oversight because every indication I have seen has both Wilykit and Wilykat being included in the plans for the show at the same time. It may have been a design choice to keep the image from being further cluttered. All I know is that she was never included in any official iteration of this image.

A poster just like yours just finished on ebay and fetched just over $60 and wasn't in as good condition as yours. So you could make some pocket money here with the copies you have.

Nice find and good luck with them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
  12. Boostedbuford

Boostedbuford New Member

I actually found it on ebay- notice the sellers location.. La Vista, which is suburb of Omaha. Which is where I live haha.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=171374285121

While trying to dig up info about the posters I actually came across your print template picture, that's so cool I would love to have a pre-production advertisement piece like yours....about as cool as it gets for me. :thumbsup:

13. This image also appears on the metal ThunderCats lunchbox.

14. Mark / Grizzlor

It's on absolutely everything really, notably it was the cover to ThunderCats The Movie VHS tape.

15. Mumm-Ra

Mumm-Ra Glass Walker

16. Booshman

Beautiful.

17. Mark / Grizzlor

The best information I have at the moment is that Mike Germakian may have done a layout / design for the art piece that was then rendered in Japan by Tsugo Kobo (characters) and Minoru Nishida (the background made up the Catslair and Mumm-Ra.

From everything I've seen of Mike Germakian's work and what I've read from David Crichton's books, Mike was generally responsible for designing a character that was then fleshed out by the two Japanese artists I mentioned. Mike's work is somewhat more "blocky" than the smooth and curving lines of this piece and the final model sheets of characters that Mike drew concepts for.

Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
  18. Daremonger

Both pieces are outstanding, especially the logo.

19. labrat1881

labrat1881 New Member

Newbie here.I had this poster when I was a kid but sadly was thrown away when I was away in college:(.Would love to have one of these again.PM sent:)

20. autobots1984

autobots1984 New Member