New or Old Cats Lair ?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Gerrit, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

Which one do you prefer ?
    The New Cats lair
    [​IMG]

Or the Old one ?
    [​IMG]

2. Mcaseres

Mcaseres Glass Walker

The old one. The new one still looks great, but the old one has such a classic feel to it.

LiamABC and Tygra_Rules like this.
  3. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

I like the old one best.

The new one looks too lion-ish IMO, and I really don't like that vibe (like trying to please Lion-O's ego lol); I like the old one as it looked more cat-ish than pointing out a specific cat.

Besides, didn't Benagli say in "ThunderCats Ho!" part 5 that CatsLair looked exactly as it was in Thudnera? So why build a new one that different?

Finally, Jaga said in "Mossland Monster" that the rock giants at CatsLair have guarded it for centuries, but if those giants were just built with the new CatsLair, that doesn't make sense.

Such inconsistencies take away any good feeling on my side lol.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

No question about it, old one 100%. The old one is as iconic as Caslte Greyskull.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  5. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

I agree, it is very iconic... I didnt get to see season two until 2008, so to me there is really only one Cats Lair! I have only watched most of the episodes from s02 once, so its all still pretty newish to me. I also agree with Tygra_Rules that the new one is too lion ish... Also its missing the TC symbol???

LiamABC and Mark M like this.
  6. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

First one is by far the best. When I read the title I thought you meant the new one from the reboot, and not the new Thundera one. Quite forgettable compared to the original design.

7. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Although I do like both, it has to be the old cats lair by a mile. It is just so classic and sleek. It represents the cats so well and portrays the technological abilities it posses.

8. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

The old lair, no contest! :) It has a great architectural design, and the pose of the lair is very "cat-like". Also we have the cool swiveling head with laser shooting eyes and the lifting paws with the vehicles underneath them. Also the shape of the head is based on the ThunderCats insignia so really ties in with the characters.

The new one isn't bad, but it's a bit too "static" for my taste. Kinda looks like it was sculpted in a mountain, like Mount Rushmore. It looks more like a sculpture than a fully functioning, feature-filled lair.

Tygra_Rules and Mark M like this.
  9. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

I agree,it is forgettable, I didn't even consider bringing the 2011 Series one into the match up ... then again, I am really not a fan of the 2011 series at all.

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree 100%. I thought it looked as though it was carved into the mountain. It was in the Pumm-Ra episode that I first heard the word architect.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Wilycub likes this.
  11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I also didn't see the episodes after Thundercats Ho until 2008. I like a few of the episodes but there are a lot I didn't think was up to the standard of the earlier episodes. I really should re-watch them at some point.
    Does anyone else find it odd that they made a new lair? Didn't they think seeing a different looking Cat's Lair on New Thundera would be a bit odd for the returning Thundarian refugees. When they built a replica of the old one on Third Earth they should have just done the same on New Thundera.

Tygra_Rules and Wilycub like this.
  12. Wilycub

Same story here, my friend. I didn't watch the Second season of the show until much much later. And even then only saw each episode once or twice. In comparison, I used to watch the same 30 or 40 episodes form the first season over and over again when I was young. As a result I know every single line spoken in those episodes by heart! :)

I think there are very episodes from the later Seasons that match the story or animation quality of the earlier episodes. Most of the episodes which take place after they move to New Thundera are some of my least favorites.

Mark M likes this.
  13. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

I feel the same! After the move, it wasn't the same for me anymore.

Mark M likes this.
  14. Tygra_Rules

Agree with this 100%

Wilycub likes this.
  15. Tygra_Rules

And with this :)

Mark M likes this.
  16. Tygra_Rules

The episodes after the movie (which many consider the "second season") weren't all that bad (I could have used some more Tygra in those though). Even after the "ThunderCubs" arc (what some consider the "third season") some were enjoyable, but not so many, and after the "Return to Thundera" arc, it was a downslide IMO.

Mark M and Wilycub like this.
  17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I always just class it as two seasons. Exodus until Thundercats Ho part 5 is season one and the rest is season 2. :)

Wilycub likes this.
  18. Wilycub

Totally agree with you. I never was a fan of the episodes that involved the ThunderCats searching for each item of the Treasure of Thundera (Bracelet of Power, Totem of Dera, Chain of Loyalty etc.). Most of the episodes in Season 4 (after the Return to Thundera 5 parter) were pretty "out there". :)

Mark M likes this.
  19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I was completely the same. I had about the same amount of episodes on video tapes along with a copy of Thundercats Ho. I remember Easter 2003, by chance, I found some episodes on another tape I didn't realise had Thundercats on.

20. Wilycub

That's how the DVD's have classified them as well. And I too prefer it this way. ;)

Tygra_Rules and Mark M like this.