New podcast about Thundercats and other 80s toons

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by DPTooncast, Nov 13, 2017.

1. DPTooncast

DPTooncast New Member

Hey guys! My name's Will and I'm one half of the team behind the DAYS PAST TOONCAST, a brand new comedy podcast that takes a candid look back at the cartoons of the 80's and 90's! Our very first episode came out today. The subject? The series premiere of THUNDERCATS! Obviously, I thought some of you T-Cats fans might be interested. Check it out to hear us celebrate and poke fun at "Exodus." We're definitely going to continue coming back to this series (we've already recorded an episode on "The Unholy Alliance" for next month) as we look at other TV gems from our youth. Links available in my signature.

2. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Thank you! Will definitely give it a listen!

3. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Thanks for the heads up!

4. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Thanks! I’ll check it out!

DPTooncast likes this.
  5. Daremonger

I enjoyed listening to the podcast. :)

DPTooncast likes this.
  6. Mcaseres

Mcaseres Glass Walker

Where can we listen to the podcast at?

7. DPTooncast

DPTooncast New Member

So glad to hear it, Daremonger! We've got a follow-up Thundercats ep coming in December and we're sure to keep coming back to Third Earth on into our future! In the meantime, we're going to be in the 80s for the rest of 2018 and releasing Sundays and Wednesdays through the end of November with The Real Ghostbusters up tomorrow. If you have the time and inclination, do feel free to review or rate us wherever you listen :)

Daremonger likes this.
  8. DPTooncast

DPTooncast New Member

Mcaseres, you can check us out by clicking the links in my signature or by searching for Days Past ToonCast on your podcast provider of choice! We're now officially on iTunes as well as of today! Please let me know if you need any more help getting to it :)

9. Daremonger

Okay!

10. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

You mentioned in the podcast the abrupt edit when the Thundercats wake up and get out of their pods. If you watch the end of this clip, you can see the orignal version was fine. but they did a bit of a hack job when removing some shots to save the runtime in syndication.

11. DPTooncast

DPTooncast New Member

Wow, that version plays much better! I'm aware of how much an edit for syndication can mess up a show mostly through watching THE SIMPSONS as a kid but I forget about how that might affect the toons we watch for the show. Definitely something to keep in mind. Thank you for sharing the clip and pointing that out, Booshman!

12. Booshman

No problem. It's only really the first episode that has any substantial deletions. The second episode has one short scene that is not present on the VHS, but is in the syndication version. Episode three on DVD has a subplot not present in the VHS version, and some extra dialogue. There are also so variations in the score through episodes 1-4. The scene in the clip I posted for example, when Jaga appears and Lion-O catches the sword, the music is different. The VHS version is Mumm-Ra's transformation music, the DVD is Jaga's theme.

After this all episodes on the DVD ar fully intact.

13. DPTooncast

DPTooncast New Member

We just recorded our episode on "The Unholy Alliance" (out in December!) so I'm a little curious to know what scene you're talking about!

14. Booshman

It's the scene that ends with Slithe saying "This is not a sight seeing trip". Also, as the first 4 episodes play continuosly on the VHS with only one set of openingand ending credits, they reordered a few scenes. At the end of Episode 2 onthe VHS Mumm-Ra flies off, then it continues with Lion-O talking about him fearing his reflection, then we see Mumm-Ra arrive back a the the pyramid and say "There will be another time". The individual episode places his arrival at the pyramid directly after he flies away, then they cut back to the cats talking, and end on a more lighthearted note with Snarf saying he has no need for courage, it just gets those who have it into trouble. Since episode 3 starts with Mumm-Ra, and the VHS's last scene of 2 was with Mumm-Ra, the VHS starts with Lion-O and Snarf in the forest and meeting the Berbils, then they go to Mumm-Ra, but cut all of the establishing shots that were the original opening of the episode.

I hope that reads clearly enough so you know what I mean.