New version Lion-O 2.0 from Mattel

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

Guys
    The more I look at this ver.2.0 pics the more I see that the Clawshield is indeed too big compared to the cartoon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    if I measure his arm by the photos on screen:
    the cartoon one is 28mm off and 31mm on, that is a +- 10% increase in arm width.
    on the figure it is 12mm off and 19mm on , that is a 36% increase in size ...
    I know it's at an angle and it's not 100% accurate, but still there is a big difference.

Roadpigjohn and Mark M like this.
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

17 times LOL.

Roadpigjohn likes this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

They seriously need to correct it as since the first prototype was shown it has always stood out to me as being the most off thing about the figure completely spoiling the look of it.
    Don't get me wrong I like the rest of the figure but with that claw shield there is no way I would want displaying it on his arm or connected to his side.
    Bandai's Classics and 2011 claw shield were far better proportioned to the size of the figure.

4. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Seeing as how this second version of Lion-O is a prototype, Mattel still has time to correct the Claw Shield.

Roadpigjohn likes this.
  5. Roadpigjohn

Roadpigjohn Laser Beast

As they said, they are not going to touch the rest of the body but just the head to make it more accurate... I don't expect to see any modification in the rest of the body since that was already mentioned by the designers...

6. Roadpigjohn

Roadpigjohn Laser Beast

That is possible since is just the accessories...
    [​IMG]

7. TMNachoT

TMNachoT Crabman

Wow! Love that B:TAS catalog! Where did u get it? Do you have more?

8. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

I have a feeling that if the clawshield looked more cartoon-accurate, we wouldn't be as bothered by the scale/thickness of it.

If the 4H don't alter their design any further, I could see a more cartoon-accurate version being the sort of thing they release as an accessory with another figure down the line—Claudis, perhaps, or a Lion-O variant. I think it might also be cool to see an LJN-styled clawshield variation (red, snap-on, five fingers, and furry!)at some point, maybe with Red Lion-O.

Given that this was Mattel's MO with MOTUC accessory variations, I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen here, too.

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

If the clawshield looked more accurate it wouldn't annoy me as much. Even if it was slightly too big at least it would look right design wise.

Roadpigjohn likes this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

What really annoys me about Mattel's MO with MOTUC is that if they would just do them right in the first place they wouldn't need to include heads, weapons and other accessories with different figures, packs, vehicles and exclusives.
    The first MOTUC He-Man head 4H isn't great looking and does not look like the card art, the vintage toy or the cartoon, just a strange mix of all three. The upcoming Filmation He-Man head sculpt looks amazing.

Roadpigjohn likes this.
  11. Roadpigjohn

Roadpigjohn Laser Beast

And you can bet that I would be buying all those Filmation cartoon characters...

I don't have any of the Classics, because I missed the boat when they released the first wave of Best Man and He-Man and now the prices are just Outrageous...

[​IMG]

12. Roadpigjohn

Roadpigjohn Laser Beast

Bottom line is. If it looks like the cartoon we the fans would accept it with not complaints about it...

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

You aren't missing much with either figure. He-man is okay but as I said his head sculpt isn't great. Wait and get the Filmation one or see if the Flying Fist or Laser Lights have better heads.
    Beastman is okay. I believe he is getting a Filmation version also. I could be wrong . Personally I would prefer a bigger 200X style Beastman instead.

Roadpigjohn likes this.
  14. Roadpigjohn

Roadpigjohn Laser Beast

This is a great model....
    [​IMG]

and yes, I'm going to shoot for the Laser Lights He-Man on December...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The Filmation Beastman looks great.
    Laser Light He-man looks great, it nice to see a new head sculpt but I prefer the Filmation Head. I always liked the Flying Fist body armour.

Roadpigjohn likes this.
  16. Roadpigjohn

Roadpigjohn Laser Beast

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mark M likes this.
  17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I would have preferred the flying fist armour to be chromed like the original.

Roadpigjohn likes this.
  18. Wes2882

Wes2882 Berbill

Chromed armor would have been very cool! They tried it with the Hurricane Hordak figure a while back, and there was a lot of complaining about flaking, etc. so I think they dropped doing it. I wonder if they'd try it again if they ever tackle Silverhawks…I'm guessing not as vac metal and articulation points don't work too well together.:cheetara

Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

True. But it should be okay, it's not as if we would be posing them lots and lots and playing with them...;)

Daremonger and Roadpigjohn like this.
  20. Wes2882

Wes2882 Berbill

Yeah, these figures won't be seeing much wear and tear as a collector's line, but I think people's complaint with Hurricane Hordak was that even a small amount of handling took the van metal paint right off. That wasn't my experience with the figure, but it did seem to be pretty widespread. As cool as it looks, I think I'm ok without it. I'd rather not have to worry about things being so fragile, chipping easily, etc. I still worry that my vintage Silverhawks might fall over and chip their paint.

Just so I don't stray too far from the title of the thread, I'll also reiterate that I love the new Lion-o face and paint. It was absolutely the right call to change the eyes and eyebrows, and I'm glad it is now a close-mouthed sculpt. I never like shouting faces or the partially open-mouth sculpts that action figures sometimes have. If Jackalman and Lion-O are good indications, I can't wait to see what else is in store! :liono:jackalman

Daremonger likes this.