Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by adssse, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

When I say in scale I mean cartoon accurate. Both are two seaters so they can both hold two figures each.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

adssse likes this.
  3. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

yeah I figured that's what you meant.
    My grandparents on my father's side has quite a few of these at their house. I played with them very often when I was a kid. I know I am a 90s child but I still got exposure to these guys. I owned that webbie toy and one of those moon men too! When my grandparents died we got a whole bunch of these toys from her house. We have them in a box in the guest room we set up for my nephew.

adssse likes this.
  4. mumm_ra_n_rana

Oh yeah.. I took custody of all the McFormers as I call them. They're all in my bedroom.

5. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

mr freeze and Mark M like this.
  6. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Interesting thoughts. A lot of the shows you mentioned, I never saw. Apart from Thundercats of course!

Defenders Of The Earth had a great villain in Ming The Merciless. I don't know exactly how his characterisation differs or not from the original Flash Gordon comics, but here there is an element of Ernst Stavro Blofeld to him, the way he plans and schemes. And he does come up with very effective plans to conquer the earth, and some of them get very close to succeeding!

Spiral Zone's arch villain, Overlord, is also one who doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Obviously the whole show is pretty obscure, and you have to actively remember it, but considering I got into it in 2012 simply by remembering watching a couple of episodes when on holiday in Spain, I think it can be said I actively remembered it! It was a much darker show, and there were episodes where Overlord technically won the day. I can think of at least one episode where Overlord comes away at the end of the episode in a much stronger position than he was at the beginning, and it's not even part one of a two-parter! Obviously our heroes have something the audience can cling to as a "victory", but it's not much, really just saving their own skins.

The Legend Of Prince Valiant had its villains, but even the main ones didn't appear in that many episodes. There was too much going on with the big picture (and proper character development moreover). OK, this was 1991, but still a big part of my childhood.

And of course, Visionaries had Darkstorm. He had the same sneering tones as Ming, but got more physically involved. He too came up with some pretty effective plans in several episodes. His main weakness was his tendency to over-reach himself slightly.

Damn it, we had some great villains growing up!

mr freeze and Mark M like this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Good list.

In some ways I think Skeletor was a better villain than Mumm-Ra.

As Liam said some other great villains did not get a mention like Ming.

Shredder from TMNT was excellent especially in the first couple seasons when he was a real threat to the Turtles.

Some other villains I really enjoyed in cartoons of the 80s were Tex Hex (Bravestarr) ,Cy-Kill (Gobots) and Venger (Dungeons & Dragons).

Wilycub and mr freeze like this.
  8. mr freeze

mr freeze Laser Beast

my favourite cartoon villian from the 80s is darkstorm by a mile :biggrin

9. mumm_ra_n_rana

I am not an 80s kid! But I did watch some 80s shows on reruns. Like the gi joe movie. seeing cobra commander slowly turning into a snake was very traumatizing for my 6 year old brain.

Mark M NUUUUUU Mumm-Ra is better. lol at least he doesn't sound like the monarch. XD

Mark M likes this.
  10. LiamABC

Darkstorm had some really great lines - including his staff spell. Chris Latta really got to sink his teeth into that part.

Ming, too, has perhaps one of my all time favourite villain retorts ever. In the very first episode of Defenders Of The Earth:

FLASH: You murdered my wife!
    MING: And I promise the same fate for you, Flash Gordon!

Actually, alluding to my analogy of Blofeld for Ming, his first scene in that first episode is VERY Blofeldian, as we don't actually see his face until the end, initially we either just see a hand, or from behind the high-backed throne.

I still say, though, if Spiral Zone were better known, Overlord would certainly be up there with the likes of Mumm-Ra and Skeletor as one of the all-time classic baddies! Hell, he did technically win in some episodes, that's got to count for something!

11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

In the second G.I. Joe series (first was by Sunbow) made by DIC in the opening five parter Cobra Commander is restored to normal and gets a new uniform.

12. mumm_ra_n_rana

not completely normal.

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

As normal than as a snake man from Cobra-la can be then.

14. mumm_ra_n_rana

we do not talk about cobra-la. >:C

15. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I've always preferred Mumm-Ra over Skeletor. Skeletor definitely had his good points, but I never found his voice to be threatening in any way. I don't think any cartoon villain's voice was as incredible as that of Mumm-Ra (Bless you Earl Hammond). Dr. Claw from "Inspector Gadget" had a great voice too! Even as a kid, I was scared of Mumm-Ra, especially in the initial few episodes, but never feared Skeletor in any way. I think even Hordak was a bit scarier than Skeletor. :)

That I agree! :thumbsup Shredder's first appearance is still incredible. We see only his bladed arms tapping the arms of his chair and then we hear his menacing laugh! (Bless you James Avery). Like all other cartoons of that era, he too was sadly turned into more of a comic relief than a threatening villain. I also liked General Warhawk from "Rambo: The Force of Freedom".

Mark M likes this.
  16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think the thing with Mumm-Ra is I can only think of the season we in UK got and some of the Marvel UK comics but with Skeletor I grew up watching his schemes in the Filmation cartoon, the New Adventures cartoon, the new Adventures comics, the Mattel figure mini comics, story books and the 200X cartoon.
    I think what really helped was all these iterations really helped flesh out the character and build his back story.

Shredder was awesome. It's funny how much of his origin was changed from the original comics.

Tex Hex was also a really great villain whom over the series really got fleshed out. In the one season of Bravestarr we learned what he looked like before and how and why he changed to being evil.

17. mumm_ra_n_rana

well that probably explains it. at least in the remake the animation wans't a huge copy-paste, though his voice just makes him sound funny. Seriously he sounds like THIS guy!

(Warning violence)

18. LiamABC

That's a bit like Ming's first appearance in Defenders Of The Earth - both very Blofeldian in nature. Ian Fleming would have approved.

19. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

20. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Transformers for me.