Number of UK Marvel comics?

Discussion in 'Vintage Collectables' started by FellowThunderian, Mar 12, 2008.

1. FellowThunderian

FellowThunderian Junior Member

Hi. Does anybody know how many of the original UK Marvel comics there were? Cheers :mummra:

2. I do believe there were 130 of them or 133 of them. I only have about sixty of them.

3. FellowThunderian

I have up to 97, apart from 10 of them. I think I remember seeing about #115 on ebay before, and I would have thought 130 would have been a nice number, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  4. aewsmith

aewsmith Guest

I have been tracking the UK comics for a while now, I have scans or pictures of 129, I think too there were 130 or 133.

Adam

5. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

The latest regular issue I own is #114, published late 1990, although I also own a holiday special (UK one-shot) that was published in the summer of 1994! :)

Take care... :)

6. GIVE THEM TO ME!!!! *queen lynxana jumps on He-Fan's back

I know you are the comic expert here on TCL but I'm close to you in comics! I own every Tcat comic and 60 of the UK ones.........you have some UK ones I don't have and I'm gonna hunt you down and take em!

ROFLMAO.............just kidding hunny! You are the sweetest of the TCL group and I had to have fun with ya. ;) Oh BTW...I'm not the only one here that thinks you are the sweetest. You just have that nice persona that everyone loves and feels comfortable around.

BTW.....your sig is from comic #10 Graveyard of Memories....that was the first Thundercat comic I ever bought. I was ten years old and I went food shopping with my parents in a store called Pathmark. I saw that very same comic book in a comic book stand and discovered Thundercat comics for the first time. ( I was ten years old and shocked when I saw Panthro holding Cheetara like she was dead...shocking for a ten year old) I begged my father to buy it and when we got home, I cut the last page of the comic for the subscription! I got Tcat comics every month till the last issue and Star Comics offered me a subscription to another comic to compensate for the issues I paid for but I never got any......what can I say? Nothing compared to Thundercats after that.

I could go on about how my father who was so nice to take me to Beechead comics ( a comic store in Allentown, Pa) and bought me all sorts of back issues of Tcat comics and those back issues introduced me to Lynxana. BTW for my 12th birthday, my father bought me the first Tcat issue...only thing that sucked was the original owner did the maze in it. (go look it up...there was an oreo cookie maze in it)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2008
  7. He-Fan

Chris here...

LOL, well, if it makes you feel better, a lot of my UK ThunderCats comics are from childhood and as such I could have taken better care of them - I particularly regret the slightly tatty condition that #114 is in, as for years that was at the bottom of my ThunderCat comic pile and so consequently was not as well protected as the ones in the middle! ;)

I know that the further through the series you go they become more and more like gold dust - we won't talk about the issue that Neil (Blackiecats) owned, I think it might have been something like #125, and cut up to make a video case cover with... ;)

:oops: Aw, shucks - thank you! I must admit I've never thought of myself as being particularly sweet, but it's really nice of you to say so - it's always a pleasure to speak to you too, and I'm sure the same is true of whoever else it is who thinks I'm the sweetest, LOL! :D

Wow, that's cool to know that the image in my signature is from the cover of the first issue you owned, that's awesome! It was Kyle who created my sig for me, and I have to say I still love it to pieces! :D

I was very lucky when I picked up most of my Marvel/Star issues (I have the complete set) - I purchased them all from Mile High Comics at a time just before '80s stuff was coming back in vogue, and got them all in really good (sometimes near mint) condition for never more than about $2.00 each. This was back in 2000 - 2001 - since the release of the DC/Wildstorm issues, those issues have surged up in price, and I'm so thankful that I managed to get most of my set before that happened! :)

EDIT: Actually, I tell a lie - I never got #24, the last issue, from Mile High as I don't recall them ever having it in stock for an affordable price - my friend MannyC picked that one up for me off of eBay a couple of years ago, thus completing my set! :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  8. Originalthundercatroar

Originalthundercatroar Vortex Explorer

The UK T-Cats titles

I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask...but exactly how many issues did the Thundercats UK series run? From #1 to what? I'm wanting to get started on finding them but I first have to learn about them.

What should I know about the comics and were there any special one shot comics as well that wasn't a part of the ordinary run?

Any advice on reasonable prices etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

9. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

UK ThunderCats Comics

Hi!
    Since I've got issue #89 I know for a fact that they did at least 89 issues! I think they even made it to 100, but I'm not a 100% sure.
    Every issue contained a ThunderCats comic and a Power-Pack comic, but since it was a weekly magazine, both the ThunderCats and the Power-Pack stories where cut in half and spread over at least 2 issues. As for the stories, a lot of the US Marvel comic stories and art were used, but also a lot of original stories and (very odd and sometimes lousy) art can be found on the pages of the UK Marvel Thundercats Magazine. Also every issue contained a poster and sometimes free stuff like the Thundercats sticker-album. The original World In Chaos 6 part mini-series contain the Map Of Third Earth divided over the 6 issues. As for the price, don't pay more than you would for a US ThunderCats comic. There nice to have in your collection, I have 45 of them, but there not rare. Check eBay UK every once and a while... Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  10. He-Fan

Chris here...

Originalthundercatroar: As there's been a thread about this recently I took the liberty of merging your thread with the original - there's a lot of interesting discussion about the UK comics in the original thread, so be good to see it revived! :)

11. Originalthundercatroar

Originalthundercatroar Vortex Explorer

Thank you for your help! I didn't know that the stories were split up especially with another comic title. I always thought that they did one whole story a week but splitting makes more sense. For them to do a whole story would put a deadline on them that would be difficult to get out on the racks in time.

Were the posters one page pin-ups printed as a part of the magazine like the paper the comics were printed on or did they come stapled in as an insert that you took out?

Also in the annuals there were games and printed type stories like a book with limited illustration. Were those in the magazine as well?

I am sorry for all the questions :duh: but I want to learn all I can about the magazines before I go out and start activley buying them.

From what I have seen from the hardbound annuals they are worth a search and buy.

Thank you again!

12. According to wikipedia there are 129 issues of the UK series. However wikipedia isn't always 100% accurate so that might not be true.

13. FellowThunderian

Just to follow up, I can confirm the last comic is #129, as I finally now have a copy :thumbsup: It's dated 12th Jan 91, and on the 2nd page it's stated that it is the last comic in the series.

14. He-Fan

Chris here...

Did you pick your copy up from eBay recently? If so, I wondered who it was who won those auctions! :) Unfortunately they were way too rich for my blood - congratulations on picking up those amazing collectibles, ones I would regard as the rarest of the rare for ThunderCats comics! :)

15. FellowThunderian

Yeah, I got them on ebay. They sure are rare - first time I've seen some of those since I started collecting 9 or 10 years ago :eek:

16. catspat

catspat also known as...Leppardra

Can you post pictures of your collection in TCL's "Collector's Showcase"? I'd like to see them since I have a few of them myself, including the 100th issue. :D

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  17. FellowThunderian

Yeah, I will soon be scanning all of my comics, and hopefully He-Fan will be adding them to the main site aswell for everyone to enjoy :cool:

18. pedro

pedro Active Member

The uk thundercats comics ran to number 129 i only need #103 and #129!!!

19. He-Fan

Chris here...

Yep, I'm hopeful that it won't be too much longer (said Chris, crossing his fingers!) before this site's UK Comics section is finally up-and-running! The delay is all mine - these days there just aren't enough hours in the day! But, we have loads of material assembled, hopefully soon it'll be online! :)

20. Purrsia

Purrsia Moderator

Sorry to necromance this thread but I was doing a google search to find out just how many UK comics there really are (I had always thought 135, ha) as I have been working on posting scans of all the issues I have (I have about 2/3 of all issues) on my site, and this came up. Definitely agree that there's 129 but I'm posting my two cents in here because I also found this page - which has all the covers posted.
    http://www.totalcomics.co.uk/thundercatsmarveluk.html

Only bummer is most of the thumbnails cannot be viewed any larger. It is nice to see how many collected issues there are too, as I wondered that as well. I only have one of those.

On a somewhat related note, I saw someone selling the book Astral Prison and Other Stories on Amazon for over $100! I know since the news of the series, some of this stuff is at a premium but that struck me as a little pricey :eek: Good thing I already have that one lol!