Official Unitoys Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage Collectables' started by Quickjaws, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Quickjaws

Quickjaws Berbill

I have been meaning to write the comprehensive guide to Thundercats produced by Unitoys in Venezuela. Here goes:
    There are many Unitoys minis on the market, only two of which would be considered "rare", the Wilykit & the snarf. Although there are several known loose copies of both, there are only 2 MOC Wilykit, and no known MOC snarf. As a side note, there is currently a Unitoys mini on the auction site right now that is the normal LJN wilycat, it would be interesting to see the stamps on the bottom of his feet... the rest of the unitoys minis match the other minis from around the world.
    And now on to the 6" figures, the general consensus is that there were only 4 6" figures produced (that we know of). Lion-o, Mumm-Ra, Cheetara, and Jackleman. Three are easy enough to identify, Cheetara and Jackleman have different paint schemes, and lion-o has different colored boots and a casting mark on his chest, no one had been able to identify Mumm-Ra, as his stamp is the same as the Playful Mumm-Ra. I believe there are a handful of Lion-Os known about, there is at least 1 of each Cheetara and jackleman all loose. Us collectors believed there were no MOC 6" Unitoys that had survived. Through much research and purchasing power, I was able to aquire both Mumm-Ra and Lion-O Unitoys MOC figures. These are literally 1 of a kind! To me, it's truely amazing that these figures survived all of these years!
    And finally, the icing on the cake, there is 1 known Unitoys test-shot, it is Lion-O, I am grateful to be able to say he is in my collection. He has been authenticated by CIB and encased AFA. If there are any further question, please ask! There will be LOTS of pictures when I figure out how to load them again lol

2. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Isn't the Unitoys WilyKat (Felino) also considered rare?

Actually I have seen a MOC Unitoys Snarf. Unfortunately I can't remember where! :( If I can manage to get a pic of it I will post it here.

Would love to see those pics! :) Now that we are using a new software to host the TC.org forums, it is not possible to upload images directly here. But you can upload them to a free photo hosting site (like Photobucket) and then use the "Image" button in the thread toolbar to paste the image in the thread.

There really is very little info on the the net about the various foreign ThunderCats toys (Unitoys, Playful, Glasslite). So whatever info that you can share with use here would be awesome! Especially the differences between the Unitoys figures and their LJN counterparts.

3. Quickjaws

Quickjaws Berbill

Isn't the Unitoys WilyKat (Felino) also considered
    No not really, it's kinda a misconception that he is rare. There are always 4-5 MOC available at any given time

Actually I have seen a MOC Unitoys Snarf. Unfortunately I can't remember where! :( If I can manage to get a pic of it I will post it here.
    I was thinking there was a pic out there somewhere lol

Would love to see those pics! :) Now that we are using a new software to host the TC.org forums, it is not possible to upload images directly here. But you can upload them to a free photo hosting site (like Photobucket) and then use the "Image" button in the thread toolbar to paste the image in the thread.
    I will take time in the near future to post pictures in the appropriate locations in this thread in the near future

There really is very little info on the the net about the various foreign ThunderCats toys (Unitoys, Playful, Glasslite). So whatever info that you can share with use here would be awesome! Especially the differences between the Unitoys figures and their LJN counterparts.
    My next post will be the story of Glasslite, hopefully Matt can fill in the blanks of what I miss

Wilycub likes this.
  4. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Great thread and thanks for the information. I am definitely looking forward to seeing any pictures your willing to share. It always amazes me what is still floating around in the exclusive circles of high end collectors!

5. Quickjaws

Quickjaws Berbill

My collection is Amateur hour compared to some of these guys lol.

6. Quickjaws

Quickjaws Berbill

In case anyone is wondering, here is the list of Unitoys minis I have, I believe I have them all:
    Vultureman
    Tusk
    S.s.slithe
    Leon-o
    Hachiman
    Cheetara
    Cacalo
    Tigro
    Felino
    Felina
    Reptilian
    Panthro
    Mandrilo
    & snarf
    I believe I have the complete set. If anyone knows of one I do not have, I would sure like to know, thanks

7. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Speaking of Unitoys, a loose Lion-O and Mumm-ra was just listed. Starting at $200 + free shipping.

Item# 222169171170

8. Quickjaws

Quickjaws Berbill

The Lion-O is real. It is impossible to tell if the mumm-ra is Playful or Unitoys. I just spent 30 mins examining my Playful Mumm-ra and my Unitoys mumm-ra, there is no difference to be found. Unless it's MOC on a Unitoys card, there is no way to know, and if someone is willing to pay the price difference between the Playful and Unitoys, then they should be guaranteed that they purchased Unitoys.

9. Quickjaws

Quickjaws Berbill

Unitoys cards can never be faked, there is a significant difference between them and every other card back...:)

10. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

So this Mumm-ra appears to have black painted eyes, but my Playful Mumm-ra has red painted eyes. Is there any correlation to this? If they are identical than what is the normal eye color?

11. Quickjaws

Quickjaws Berbill

Will have to check in the AM, might have missed the eyes

12. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Yes please. I am very interested to hear your expertise on this.

13. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Is this the Snarf we were searching for a picture of?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Quickjaws

Quickjaws Berbill

Yes it sure is!

15. Quickjaws

Quickjaws Berbill

My Unitoys has black eyes. It was my mistake, I was looking at one of my bootlegs, and he also has black eyes, so if your playful has red eyes, then there is a difference and we can tell them apart!!

16. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Great, thanks for the confirmation!

17. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Sorry guys but could you give more details on the mold/tooling differences between Playful and Unitoys?

18. Quickjaws

Quickjaws Berbill

Here is the Unitoys Lion-O notice the two flat spots on his shoulder strap? Below is a LJN lion-O for comparison. My Unitoys Test-shot has the exact same flat spots, much more visible, I will get a pic when it's unpacked
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Thank you I never knew that! So that and the white front on the boots are the main differences between the Playful and Unitoys Lion-O?

20. Quickjaws

Quickjaws Berbill

Correct. I like the Unitoys Lion-O pretty good, he has "more Character" to me with his rough all around apperience. Also dug my Playful Mumm-Ra out. He does have red eyes, learn something new everyday

adssse likes this.