Open up or keep boxed?

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Fotane, Aug 4, 2011.

?

Do you open your figures?

1. Keep mint in box

22.7%
  2. Open to play with or display

43.2%
  3. Both

31.8%
  4. Neither

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

2.3%
  1. Fotane

Fotane Junior Member

Just wondered where everyone stood when it comes to figure collecting?

For me, it's both.

I'm a bit of a figure collector, and I like to keep them mint in the box, however there are certain figures I really like the look of and think they make cool display items around my room and on my shelves and stuff so I open them up and set them up. If I want to open a figure from a series I am collecting then I make sure I get a double. One to keep in the box, one to display.

2. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

I'll be opening mine as I don't have room for another MOC collection. I collect the vintage LJN figures carded ;)

Also I have no nostalgic interest in the new figures packaging like I do the LJN, so I have no worries about opening all mine :)

3. Mexxecutioner

Mexxecutioner Junior Member

For me it's both!
    There are some figures I like to keep mint in box. Especially if they have a nice art or anything special. Had the problem with the new Mezco Lion-O because the box art was so damn nice but I really wanted to open it and display Lion-O. In the end I opened it but I think about buying the exclusive and let it mint in box.

Nevertheless, some figures I do have to open! Just to try how poseable they are and create nice displays in the shelves. And to be honest, sometimes I am still a little boy and want to "play" with my figures! Even if it is just for two minutes! :D

4. Kameinu

Kameinu Mutant

I'm going to buy atleast two of everything. I've been doing this since I started collecting Ben 10. And I think it's worthit.

5. Tygra

Tygra Thunderian Legend

I'm not much of a collector, but I open everything I buy. Right now I'm thinking about going with the 4" line and displaying the team around the Thundertank on my desk.

6. dammagededdie

dammagededdie Junior Member

I am with some of you, I usually keep things MOC, for what reason I don't know. I don't really have room to display them all I guess. But if there is a nice looking figure, I will get an extra to open it.

7. upinout

upinout Active Member

I voted open and play/display, however I did get two each of the 8" figures. One set I will open and display at home. The other set is now hanging on the wall in my office at work, and those I kept in the box.

I also collect MOTUC figures, and I do buy two of each of those, one to open and one to keep MOC but with Thundercats I plan to stick to just one of each to open.

8. Lady Ocelli

Lady Ocelli Shadowspy

We'll probably keep them in the box since the Justice League and the Legion of Doom have taken all the available shelf space. ;)

9. Ideal

Ideal Glass Walker

i voted "open". even though there are instances where i dont, i usually tend to open figures up at the earliest convenience (like in the car if my wife happens to be driving that day)

10. GK Punk

GK Punk Formerly Astrokreep

since I am collecting only certain characters I'm going with open them.

11. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

there are only very few figures I have that I haven't opened (Majin Vegeta with Black hair, Battle Damage He-man and Skeletor Commemorative series) the rest I pretty much open and play with for a couple days and then display them.

12. Shimey013

Shimey013 Junior Member

I am going to leave mine in box. Since i do sports stuff too, the whole keeping things in the box has grown on me and if it has decent packaging, i don't mind keeping them in the box. So far my 4 inch basic set and my 8 inch classics on staying how they are. I am going to need an empty few shelves to keep all this .... ugh, time to go look for a display rack or something.

13. TheCollector

TheCollector Glass Walker

I leave things in their boxes these days, I've lost to many figures do to damage from being out. Plus I don't play with them anymore and with how pain in the ass they are to pose now adays and keep standing up you're just better off leaving them in the box.

14. Mumm-Ra's Wrath

Mumm-Ra's Wrath Laser Beast

Boxed is certainly preferable from not only a collectible standpoint but also helps keep the dust off.

However I could certainly never really blame somebody for letting their inner child win out and give in to their compulsive need to play with them! :p

15. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

If your going with non-play then I vote MOC/MIB. They display much better as a collection than loose and still keep some value. A loose collection is alright but for full impact, its gotta be MOC/MIB! Besides a loose collection is harder to dust and time will wear and tear at your figures much faster. Besides the new Thundercats have individual card art which is an added reason to keep em MOC ;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  16. Lord Slithor

Lord Slithor Mutant

Speak for yourself, honey! If we can't find a place to put them at home, I'll just display them on my desk at work! ;)

17. Shimey013

Shimey013 Junior Member

I wanted to keep them boxxed.. i swore up and down i was going to keep them boxxed.. but since I got the Thundertank i really wanna open it and play with it... UGH!!!!!!!!!:eek:

18. Coldwin

Coldwin Berbill

Couldn't decide.... bought 2 of each, solved the problem :)

19. clonetroop211

clonetroop211 New Member

So far I have opened all three 6" and love the articulation, though my Mumm-Ra likes to lean forward and fall. I am opening all seven of the 4"ers tonight and setting them up. The classics I will keep carded, no reason to open them since having the originals opened. I haven't made my mind up on the ThunderTank and ThunderRacers. I want to open the Thunder Tank just to get the Snarf out.

20. Knave_Iespyk

Knave_Iespyk Crabman

They lasted in their boxes about an hour. ;)