Poll for (possible) S7 Wave 1

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Jan 27, 2017.

?

Who do you think will be in S7's (potential) wave 1 release of TC

Poll closed Feb 23, 2017.
  1. Tygra

36.0%
  2. Cheetara

76.0%
  3. Mumm-Ra the ever living

24.0%
  4. Jaga

56.0%
  5. Grune

52.0%
  6. Slithe

40.0%
  7. Monkian

48.0%
  8. Vultureman

28.0%
  9. Lynx-O

8.0%
  10. Bengali

16.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

I definitely wouldn't have wanted to see two Mumm-Ras in year one. I like the way they did it because we have never gotten a great mummy Mumm-Ra. The ever living one keeps something to look forward to. If you want a long-lived line, the best way forward is to space some of the popularity out. It keeps interest and really builds hype. This has worked wonders for Masterpiece TransFormers and MOTU.

To answer the question of why Tygra and Ever Living Mumm-Ra aren't more popular, it's very simple - we have figures of them. Even if it is from BanDai, that itch has been scratched at least a little bit. While we have nothing for Cheetara, etc. I know this lessons my anticipation for Tygra and Mumm-Ra, since they will simply be another version rather than the first time being realized. And I really love what BanDai did with both of them, minus Mumm-Ra's lack of accessories and cape.

I am curious though - no votes for Lynx-O? He's my favorite of the 3 later Thundercats.

I would also like to guess that we won't see Bengali and Tygra in the same year.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Serval likes this.
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

In terms of the spacing the popularity out I have to somewhat disagree with you on both Transformers and MOTU.
    The spacing of the Masterpiece Transformers is done for a reason. They are high priced, high-end adult collector items. Considering the wealth of other Transformers merchandise that is also available it gives collectors times to get the funds etc. Also the first few Masterpiece Transformers were all pretty much A-list characters like Optimus Prime, Megatron and Starscream etc.
    MOTUC didn't really space the main characters out as they released most of the main A-list characters in the first year with He-Man, Skeletor, Beastman, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Triclops, Mer-Man, Stratos and Hordak.
    BTW Masterpiece Transformers are a prime example about what I have been saying about the MOTUC buck body needing a bit of updating. After the release of the first few Masterpieces and after they released the amazing Grimlock toy Takara realised how dated the first releases were and went back and completely remade them in better scale with more cartoon accurate likenesses and the line has continued to expand with each release being better than the last release.
    Thundercats has had some many failed toy and statue lines another Classics toyline doesn't need to be a long lived line with numerous D list characters, they just need to focus on the main cast of heroes and villains. The if it gets cancelled at least the core team got made. More people would be more annoyed if another line got cancelled before they got Cheetara, Tygra, Slithe, Monkian or Mumm-Ra TEL than they would about not getting Snowman, Driller or Demolisher.

3. Serval

Serval Crabman

Lynx-O is pretty cool. He's too exotic, almost to the point of being neglected.
    You are def right about available Mumm-Ra figures. I almost regret picking up the Mumm-Ra/Ma-mutt pack from Icon Heroes (they are super expensive now) as they are a perfect match for this line.

4. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

Your post made me change my vote from Bengali to Lynx-O. I've always loved him and was very excited to get the vintage figure. I loved all three of the new cats and am one of the few I guess that's thrilled that Pumyra got a figure already (albeit a bit tall!)
    You are also right about Mumm-Ra and Tygra. I own both the Bandai versions and if I had to choose I'd rather get figures that has not yet been made. As of present Tygra and Mumm-Ra is in fact part of my current TC display, so you've hit the nail on the head there Cheetoro!

5. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

I agree that the MOTUC buck needs updating, no doubt about it. But it isn't necessary, it just would really be nice. The buck will always be decent.

If you look at the lines I mentioned though, I don't think you are really seeing the spacing. The list you gave for MOTU for instance is not really at all what you would call the core cast. It is a strong line up, but it was just starting. TCats year one was a strong line up, but clearly a mix with longevity in mind. One Mutant, the lesser Mumm-Ra, a couple early TCats, one later TCat.

For Masterpiece TF I am talking since the MP-10 scale reboot. Megatron is MP-36 and the gap between him and Optimus was over 6 years. That line operates essentially the same as Mattel's have minus the subscription, they are just more expensive due to higher levels of engineering and extra licensing. There is a release every month or two. The figures have been a random mix that has kept hype and interest and hope in the line very high. Anything is possible.

While I do agree completing the core cast is essential, if Super 7 has real business sense they will have to figure out what ThunderCats can justify. But I promise you a wave of nothing but background characters is very likely to kill the line immediately at that point, so if you hope for a nice fully-fleshed out lineup, I think we had better hope for a bit of spacing. This is also why the subscription model is good - it essentially subsidizes getting more characters made than would otherwise be possible, which is great for the serious fans.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Well I suppose every MOTU fan would have their own opinion of who they consider core/A list characters. I definitely think He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak, Man-At-Arms and Teela fall into that category.
    To be fair to Thundercats though it was never getting the same chance as MOTUC as it was planned for one figure every two months then that got changed and the delays etc.
    If Super 7 can sort out a good release schedule for the figures the core team and main cast could be done in a couple years along with the side characters. Although I have said this before and I will say it again and that is Thundercats has a problem that MOTU didn't have. All the MOTU characters toy were basically the same so the Classics were able to do the same with making multiple figures on one body. Thundercats had a wealth of unique looking characters of various heights and builds that would require a lot of unique tooling like Luna, Amok, Snowman, Turmagar, The Berserkers etc. Hence why I say Super 7 should concentrate on the main cast as they require the least new tooling.

P.S. Yes it is cool the Masterpiece releases have become more frequent. Takara really need to work on some other Decepticons now they have done all the season one characters and jets. They should do Galvatron etc.

7. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

Trust that they will. The line is a real phenomenon and dominates the TF brand in America despite Hasbro having nothing to do with it.

With ThunderCats I think it is very hard where to draw the line:
    Does it stop with the Season 1?
    Does it stop with the official 9 ThunderCats, 10 if you count Jaga?
    Does it stop with the 4 or 5 Mutants and 2 Mumm-Ra's? What about the Lunataks?
    Does it stop with side characters with multiple appearances like Driller and Mandora?
    Does it stop with characters that originally had toys?
    Do we get vehicles or playsets?

Hopefully they have numbers from Mattel and their own ventures and are thinking hard and thoughtfully along these lines. My hope is that we get a few years worth of figures, a line that feels comparable to the 80's run, but we shall see. I am definitely excited just to see it continue at this point.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  8. Serval

Serval Crabman

I hope it doesn't stop.

Cheetoro and Sebastiaan like this.
  9. Sebastiaan

Me neither! I really want it to carry on past the core characters. I think the first wave, or perhaps the first 2 waves, will be an indication of the longevity of ThunderCats. That is why this poll is so important. Its to see who wants what, and what the demands are in general, so that S7 can see what the fans will buy (not that they won't buy everything but what they desire right now). My one concern perhaps is that Pumyra, Panthro and Jackalman never sold out on Matty (ok Panthro did but then came back up for sale again). I do however think it may be because nobody knows the future of TC at this stage and folk didn't want to invest in the line.
    If S7 is clever they'll take note of this poll and the next one we'll do after that to showcase what a full year's line up could be if they release 2 waves only. Thereafter they could do a wave consisting of only the Lunataks, and perhaps a wave of only super important side characters like Driller and Mandora. I doubt that we'll see any kind of vehicle for at least 4 -5 years UNLESS the line takes off really well.

10. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

While agree that to have a long robust line of Thundercats S7 wouldn't be able to release all A-listers in a single wave. I still think that it would be smart to release Mumm-Ra the Ever Living with the next wave. Especially if there is a long break due to a the licensing talks. I think it would help pull a lot of collectors into buying more figures being able to have the main Hero and Villain on their shelves. I know we have a Mumm-Ra now and he's amazing. I actually like the decayed form more than the Ever Living. I just think a majority of the casual fans want the beefed up badass Mumm-Ra.

11. Mad Bubbler

Mad Bubbler Crabman

I want all the villians from the show. O hell who am I kidding, I want super 7 to make every character from the TV show and the comics.
    :tygra: :monkian:

12. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Even though it is unrealistic that would be incredible!

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That would require a substantial amount of new unique parts to be sculpted.

14. He-dad

He-dad New Member

I'm hoping Cheetara, Tygra, Slithe, and Monkian. It would be great to at least have the core players.

15. Sebastiaan

So it looks like the predictions for wave 1 would be:
    Cheetara
    Grune
    Jaga
    Monkian

Shall we wait for July to find out before we poll wave 2?