Poll to vote if you'll support a Super 7 TC line

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Feb 23, 2017.

?

Would you support Super 7 if they continued with the ThunderCats line started by Mattel in 2016.

Poll closed Mar 23, 2017.
  1. Yes

63.2%
  2. No

26.3%
  3. It depends on the outcome of the actual figures

10.5%
  4. Only if they rebooted it entirely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

The poll on TNI rattled some feathers, mine included, but Balgus82 put it in perspective, as well as others mentioning how vague that poll's question really was. So let's do a poll of our own. Since we are the fans of TC, would you support S7 if they continued the TC line?

2. Chase W

Chase W Junior Member

Who would vote no on this website tho LOL

Sebastiaan likes this.
  3. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

You are very enthusiastic, Sebastiaan! But I don't think this poll here is necessary.
    It should also be noted that no online poll is ever really a scientific poll anyway. But that TNI poll was disturbing.

Wilycub likes this.
  4. Sebastiaan

It's more out of curiosity to see what this community think about it really. With so many divided opinions on this forum, it's good to find out what the fans on here think. So far out of 11 votes 1 person voted no and 1 wanted to see the outcome first. So that's probably a better perspective on what the line's fan base want. Have to add though, that not every fan is registered here or comments, so its perhaps a much smaller percentage, but still, its better having a more condensed grouping than the broader fan base of TNI that is not focused purely on collecting TC.

5. Sebastiaan

Somebody did :D
    To the "no" voter though, would you mind posting why? Just to hear your thoughts on the matter. Of course all fans here have the right to say yes or no. :liono

6. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

I voted "No". I like the Mattel figures and all, but found no joy in "collecting", or rather buying, them. If and when a S7 line is made, maybe I'll cherry pick some items, but I will not sub ever again.

Mark M, catgurl and Wilycub like this.
  7. Sebastiaan

Interesting to hear this. Having subbed with Matty for my first time ever last year for the TC line it was really a stressful time too, so it put me off from subbing as I had to wait months before I could get a single shipment since it wasn't affordable otherwise being from another country than the US. So I understand why subbing is an issue. What I personally like about the S7 "subbing" option is that its less figures but you get them all at once. There is no waiting period between figures, just between waves. That's sensible and I will be happy to pay for 4 TC figures at once. I do understand that some people don't like that method and that there isn't currently an option to buy the ones you want only. Lucky for me I'd buy any TC they'd offer, from the weird characters to the core ones or variants.
    I suppose you'll "support" them as a secondary market buyer instead which is what many others will be doing with the upcoming classics line for MOTUC. Which is not a bad thing at all since you'll get the figures you want only and not sit with others you may not wish for.

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I would say you are quite surprised that it wasn't me that voted 'No'. LOL.:roflmao

I voted 'It depends on the outcome of the actual figures'.
    The reason I voted for that is that there would need to be changes which it seems Super 7 are doing with MOTUC. Such as new sculpted parts for more accurate proportions etc.
    Like Thundarianroyalguard I am not a fan of Mattel's subscription method.
    Lately the scalpers buying up figures the minute they become available has really taken the fun out of collecting across various lines.
    It would just be nice to be able to pre-order the full set or purchase them individually from Super 7 and not have to wait.

Wilycub likes this.
  9. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

Isn't there a pre-order period for the subscription though, which helps prevent scalping? I don't mind the subscription because I understand it's purpose, but I do agree things need to be made freely available to help prevent negative experiences. Because a lot of them are avoidable.

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Hopefully Super 7's pre-order period system will keep the scalpers away. So far as I know the only figures being made are the ones for the people subscribing. There will be no day of sale figures. The day of sale figures being bought by scalpers is what turned a lot of people away. As soon as popular figures went on sale the scalpers struck and bought as many as they could prevent cherry pickers from getting the figures from Matty so they could make quite a bit of profit.
    It's quite ironic that the scalpers actions which they claimed was helping keep the line going is actually what was holding the line back from becoming more accessible to casual fans who just wanted some cool MOTUC and Thundercats for their toy shelves.

Personally I hope all works out for Super 7 with MOTU and Thundercats and they do a good job and improve on Mattel's figures as I would be quite interested in getting some Thundercats, some MOTUC characters and some of the vintage style MOTU Flimation figures.:D

11. Alluro Fan

Alluro Fan Glass Walker

I voted no, and for a couple reasons.

1. I am pretty content with the Thundercats collection I have obtained over the years. Unless they release the Lunataks, Lynx-O, and Bengali, I don't really plan to ever buy anymore Thundercats figures again unless Mezco comes out with some new characters.

2. Thundercats has always been #2 in my collecting pecking order, with Transformers being my first love. With dwindling storage space (not to mention the need to cut down on spending), I am devoting any extra spending on getting elusive Transformers figures I so crave.

12. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

At Toyfair Super7 announced that their preorder model for MOTU is an all or nothing type of thing. Meaning you have to order the entire wave during the PO window. I assume that TC would be the same. Meaning cherry pickers will have no choice but to go in with a friend to split up a wave or go to scalpers. Brian Flynn did mention that they will offer a payment plan option, so that's helpful. I know all this is not ideal for all collectors but these niche market collector lines have no choice.

13. catgurl

catgurl Moleman

I guess the poll really didn't turn out as you expected. But you'll get similar results no matter how many polls you create anywhere. While I truly admire your enthusiasm and love for these Thundercats toys Sebastiaan, you really need to look at this from the right perspective. Think of this way (in decreasing order of people)

1. Total fan base of Thundercats (which is a lot smaller that the fan bases of either MOTU or TMNT)
    2. Only some fans from no.1 above actually collect Thundercats toys
    3. Only some fans from no.2 above actually collect the more recent Thundercats toys (others are only interested in the vintage stuff)
    4. Only some fans from no.3 above collect the subscription-type/non-retail toys

As you can imagine, the people who make up no.4 are a very small group when compared to no.1. So naturally, any polls you make will not be overwhelmingly positive.

But the thing is, if Super7 do make new Thundercats toys, you can be sure that they will sell out, mainly due to scalpers buying them all up. Then these will end up on Ebay where some fans might buy some of them. Super7 will make profit as they will have sold out their inventory, however, I don't know if this makes the toy line a "success".

Mark M likes this.
  14. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

So this line couldn't possibly be popular on its own and only survive on scalper sales? Must be nice to be able to predict the future! Some people that want this line to fail really go through great lengths to convince themselves or others that their opinion is justified. There is not a lot of support for his line on this forum because many Thundercats fans simply don't know what they want from a toy line. Never have I seen a fandom so hellbent on hating anything that's not vintage. Luckily the casual fans and especially the MOTU classics fans will carry a S7 Thundercats line. This is really the only way a TC line could survive, on the back of a more successful line. Luckily S7 has been hounded by fans wanting the line to continue so it's pushed them to work hard on getting the rights. Even if you were not fan of the initial figures, you can see the effort put into MOTU by the people at S7. They will no doubt bring that same effort to TC.

blackiecats likes this.
  15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think what Catgurl was meaning was that if the Thundercats get sold the same was as Super 7 are planning on selling the MOTUC figures in a wave of four figures it isn't making it very accessible to casual fans to buy the figures.
    Berserker even you have to admit that Mattel/Matty/4Horsemen really did not put their best efforts into the Thundercats line. From the loads of parts re-used, to being oddly designed, out of scale and poorly assembled can you really expect people to have a lot of love for the Thundercats Classics. And lets not forget how a lot of fans were tricked into thinking they would be getting Jaga and Grune then being told they would be the first figures of 2017 only to find out in the summer the line was cancelled and would not be continuing.
    If Super 7 continue the line, and hopefully they do, I really hope they have the funds etc. to put their best efforts into making the best most accurate Thundercats figures possible.

catgurl likes this.
  16. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Oh I definitely agree that Mattel didn't put a lot of effort into both MOTU and TC. I wasn't at all upset that they used all the parts from classics to make the TC though because that was the only way they were going to make them and have it be affordable. I completely get that Mattel left a bad taste in collectors mouths but I also think there was a mob mentality when it comes to these figures where they are scrutized and picked apart to no end. When it all comes down to it, I don't begrudge anyone for not liking or wanting the Mattel TC's. It just seems that there are a few collectors that really want this line to fail which is just odd to me. This is our best shot at getting characters beyond the main figures which I think would excite many TC fans. If S7 doesn't continue and say Mezco goes ahead with a 1/12 scale line then we will be paying $60+ per figure and we deifinitly get only few of the main figures. Sure they'll look amazing but they'll cost an arm and a leg.

17. Alluro Fan

Alluro Fan Glass Walker

$60 plus? Every Mezco figure I ever bought was in the $30-$40 range.

catgurl likes this.
  18. catgurl

catgurl Moleman

I'm simply stating what happened with the Mattel TC toys. And the same thing will happen with every such toyline that utilizes methods such as subscription or releasing limited amounts or releasing exclusives. Such methods make it difficult for the the casual collector to get the toys. I guess you choose to ignore the hundreds of Mattel TC toys that are floating around on EBay.

Really? I wonder what great lengths these people go through to convince others that their opinion is justified. I hope they don't put a gun to other people's heads. I haven't seen such people but I have seen many people who wanted so desperately for the Mattel line to succeed that they blatantly kept on denying the faults of the Mattel figures and even go as far as bullying anyone who dare criticize the line.

Wrong! There is not a lot of support for this line or the Mattel line because many Thundercats fans want easy access to the toys, not having to go through all the hassle of subscription and other limiting tactics.

Wrong again! Thundercats fans and collectors don't hate any of the other toys that are available via retail (Mezco, Bandai, Minimates, Funko). It has nothing to do with love for vintage toys only.

Collectors on this very forum have bought both vintage and newer TC toys. Even "thunderianroaylguard", arguably the greatest TC toy collector in the world, is fed up of the subscription method. That does not make him a hater or someone who wants the line to fail. It is just not worth going through that much effort and spending that much money for these toys.

Affordable???? You really need to get out more and see what the prices are for similar sized toys being made by other companies. All you Mattel fans are really confused. On one hand you say that these toys are more expensive than other toys available in retail because these high end collectables are made in small quantities for the adult collector. Then you same guys do a complete u-turn and say that Mattel had to re-use parts and cheap plastic to make them affordable. Make up your minds already.

Every product gets scrutinized, the toys are no exception. You've probably not seen the threads on this very forum where folks have criticized the Mezco Lion-O. But you don't mind that do you? But when someone criticizes the Mattel toys then they are haters who want the line to fail, according to you.

LOL! HAHAHAHAHAHA LOL! That's exactly what you do. You can't stand anyone having anything bad to say about Mattel, even if they are facts. Launching personal attacks on people who don't share your opinion is the hallmark of begrudging others.

There are a few people here who love the Mattel line irregardless of its flaws, like "Sebastiaan". But he never attacks other people for criticizing Mattel.

From the polls it is quite evident that there are many people (not few) who really don't care about this line. That doesn't mean that they want it to fail. They're just not interested anymore.

Now who's predicting the future? And Mezco figures cost nowhere near that much and don't rely on gimmicks like subscription. You are going through great lengths to defend Mattel/S7, even if it means cooking up incorrect facts.

That's exactly what I was saying. It was quite clear but yet some people misinterpret it into something else completely.

The Mattel line and now the S7 line is only catering to a very small niche, and yet some people want the entire world to sing their praises and support them wholeheartedly. There was nothing about the Mattel figures that indicated that these were high end figures made in small quantities for the adult collectors. They were full of QC issues, bad to terrible paint apps, scratches and dents, bent plastic, visible seam lines, re-used parts, terribly and at times incorrectly written bios.

And yet the casual fan is supposed to go through the hassle of subscription, pay almost double the price of other figures of the same size, and just keep on singing their praises? Not gonna happen.

19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The prices for Mezco One:12 figures are quite a bit more expensive in the UK range from £60+.
    I would have no interest in a Mezco Thundercats One:12 line. Aside from they price being to expensive and the slow releases all they would make would be the more human characters.
    I do get what you are saying about parts needing to be re-used to keep costs down. However I still think that if they had invested more in the line and made them look correct and in scale etc. I think a lot more people would have been interested in the line. Panthro worked well enough on the MOTUC buck body but Lion-O, Pumyra and Jackalman not so much. Unlike MOTU, Thundercats had a cast with very unique designs and builds.
    Mattel's QC problems are strange. MOTUC was always said to be an Adult Collectors line but always known for QC problems from the start and from all the pictures and reviews the overall QC got even worse. But strangely enough their WWE line which is a mass retail line mostly aimed at children has great quality control with barely ever any issues.

20. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Catgurl, there is no need to go point for point on this. We've discussed these points over and over and over again. I will say that I recently bought 2 Mezco figures, Daredevil and Punisher 6" figures. They each cost me about $80 each after shipping so like so many other things you proclaim in this forum, you're wrong once again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.