Poll - What do you think of the Lion-O statue (Hard Hero)

Discussion in 'Modern Collectables' started by Mark / Grizzlor, Jul 30, 2009.

?

Your reaction to the Lion-O Statue (retail price $229)

1. Loved it, blew my mind. Would buy two!

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Thought it was well done, would buy one if my budget allowed

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. It was nice, but too pricey, probably won't buy one

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Wasn't very impressed and I'll pass on buying one

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. If they made minor changes I'd want one (redder hair / cream skin)

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. If they made minor changes I'd want one (different pose)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I'll wait till they make a Mumm-Ra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I'll wait till they make a Cheetara

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

We're curious to gauge the reaction to the Lion-O statue that was on display at Comic Con (see the mainpage for the stories at www.thundercatslair.org)

We're also interested to see how many of you plan to buy a Lion-O statue when they're released in the fall.

2. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

If they go with the cream skin and red hair... will definitely buy it, if not I may still buy it.

3. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

I think the Sword of Omens need a little more love, its very bland. The Thundercats Symbol should be bigger, and there should be some contrast detail (bronze) within the sword like in the cartoon. It needs to "pop" more and look more impressive, not just a bland silver sword. Lion-O's eyes need some life in them, say a simple/subtle dot of a light warm yellow to bring the statue alive. The red hair and cream skin to finish as well as white around his belt/boots. Oh and take away the stupid fur!!! Then we'll have a cartoon ACCURATE LionO... and I'm happy!

-Contrast detail for Sword of Omens which looks WAAAAAY too bland and boring. Bigger Thundrcats Symbol!
    -Put some life into LionO's his eyes!
    -Red Hair
    -Cream Skin
    -White trim around boots and belt, not silver!
    -Loose the fur!!!!!!!
    -loose the artsy-fartsy input and stick to the traditional 80's or don't bother

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  4. centurn

centurn Active Member

Not impressed! That's to say, it's not worth $229. I'll wait to see if Mattel get to produce MOTUC style figures instead.

5. Lil'Leo

Lil'Leo Active Member

Well, I thought it was awesome!!! :) It took me right back to my childhood and my old Lion-O action figure. Now if only it didn't cost more than my rent.... :(

6. Shepherd

Shepherd Junior Member

The pose kind of bothers me(Am I the only one?)...I would have liked to see something that's more indicative of the point in the cartoon when the sword of omens grows and the eye flashes. The way it is just looks like a standard Conanesque pose to me....not that that's a bad thing, necessarily, but I hold Thundercats to a higher standard ;p

7. Lynx-O

Lynx-O Glass Walker

I like it and I know a lot of work was put int it but it's a bit pricey for me, if I had it to spare I probably still wouldn't by it, maybe for $180 I would

8. Mark / Grizzlor

More pics of the statue have surfaced. These were taken by Martin over at www.cooltoyreview.com

See if these pictures influence your vote at all. Looks to me like Lion-O's hair is actually a darker red shade than initially thought. And you can see the finer details in the face much better in these photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2009
  9. JimmyP$Hayes

JimmyP$Hayes Active Member

I think it looks great and I can't wait to get one!

10. Lil'Leo

Lil'Leo Active Member

Dude -- the statue next to it looks like a naked Mumm-Ra! :p

11. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

Yeah, these pics were up for about a week. Its a really nice statue no-doubt but I still wish it was more cartoon accurate. The pose is perfect and it makes sense, especially if the other Thundercats are involved. As much as I would love the Thundercats HO! call pose, it probably wouldn't look as dynamic. I'm still up in the air about purchasing this given even the subtlest "fresh artsy" approach.

12. Mark / Grizzlor

If I can get it for about $199 or less, I'll definitely be purchasing it. I think supporting this statue/bust line is going to benefit the license in the long run.

You guys also have to remember that there will be a BUST line in addition to the full sized statues. If you guys cannot afford the statues, the busts should be more wallet-friendly. The Transformers bust made by Hard Hero went for $50-60 and I expect the same price point for ThunderCats.

13. komadori

komadori New Member

One question. Did he have that complexion in the show?
    Nuff said. Redder Hair, cream skin. ​

14. ThunderCat78

ThunderCat78 Junior Member

Lion-O Statue

I think it's absolutely beautiful!! The pose is straight out of the opening title sequence, the fur texture is beautiful, and I love the golden claw shield. I also think it's great that he's on the rocky base (also like the opening sequence) I think they made his base so tall so that the other T-Cats can be on rock bases at lower levels around/in front of him. I bet the group will look phenomenal when assembled all together.

My only complaint is that at $300.00 bucks a pop, I'll never be able to buy them. Not in this economy anyway. Hopefully there will be a contest or giveaway and I'll have luck on my side. Here's to hoping.:liono

15. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

16. Jaguar-O

Jaguar-O Junior Member

It is a well done statue! I was at Comic Con and had a close up look. It's good to see some T'cat stuff out there. However, I'm not a statue collector. So I probably won't be getting this. I have a wife and three kids (with one more on the way!), and these things just are not in my budget right now.
    Later!

17. Copperkid

Copperkid Vortex Explorer

i preordered mine. i cant wait to get it

18. willeya

willeya Guest

I love it! I wanna see the Cheetara statue come next!

19. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

I'm really hyped about this! I can't wait to see the other characters in the line up! Is Cheetara really next? Can't wait

20. Thomas.

Thomas. New Member

Pre-ordered too, VERY excited.

What happened with the realease date of this thing? I thought it was supposed be Q4 this year?