Possible Super 7 ThunderCats line

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

As you all know, there's been no word from S7 since the NY show earlier this year. Naturally, Brian has said they'd love to have the line, but that's about it. Since the license expires in just a few days (ps: is this a fact? I mean, is it actually expiring? Or will Mattel sit with it until their original contract with WB is over - or did they actually cancel said contract or only have it valid until the end of 2016?), what do you think will happen?
    There must have been talks between S7, Mattel and WB by now, right? Once the license becomes free, do you think somebody else will jump to get it?
    Is the silence on S7's part purely because they have to wait for it to become free? Was it perhaps an agreement between them and Mattel to keep things quiet while starting out with MOTUC so as not to lose focus on their "own" property and thus lose out on potential revenue to be made from S7. Hear me out - if TC's license is handed over to S7, obviously Mattel won't have any say in it, right? Which means S7 won't have to pay royalties over to Mattel for continuing the line? The 4H would naturally be involved, but perhaps they have an exclusivity clause with Mattel that will in retrospect mean that S7 still has to pay Mattel some royalties or fees to make use of 4H? I'm obviously just speculating here. I don't know the ins and outs of this so I'm just thinking out loud. One has to consider that Mattel already commissioned Jaga and Grune, so those sculpts must exist and Mattel must have paid for them already. S7 would thus have to buy those from them?
    My last thought on this is that S7 would get the license, but I think they'll only start releasing figures late 2017 or early 2018. Since they're officially starting on 1 Jan with MOTUC (not sure if the Ultimates count as the starting date?!) they may want to test the waters first to see if they really do want TC? I hope they do. As I read on The Fwoosh's review of Panthro: Help us Super7, you're our only hope...

2. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Based on the thread title I thought there was some new news to report. Got my hopes up there. :(

Berserker and Wilycub like this.
  3. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

It will be hard to find all the posts and snippets to reference this but there has been some indication from Brian at S7 that things are looking in the positive direction. I think the whole rights issue stems from Mattel holding the license for this year and legally S7 could not negotiate anything until the deal expired on January 1st. At NYCC S7 did say things were moving in the right direction on Thundercats so that's a good sign. I would say that if the deal goes through then we should see figures towards the end of 2017. Although the Horsemen did say that they've sculpted many of the cats way before even Mattel had the license. There's also the possibility they sculpted the next wave that was supposed to hit with Mattel before the end of MC was a thing. S7 seems to be a company that likes to manage expectations. So I wouldn't think they'd say anything positive unless things were in fact moving along in a positive direction. Either way I feel pretty good about another wave of figures. This line coupled with the He-Man/ Thundercats comic has helped to renew some interest in the franchise and it's time we get a complete line of cats from a toy company. For those that don't like the Mattel line at the very least this renewed interest could open up possibilities for other T-cats related merchandise to hit the markets.

4. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

Like I just said in another thread, hopefully the silence means they are in talks (and if that's the case you won't hear anything at all from Super7 until contracts are signed)

In regards to Mattel's license from WB, I'd assume it's a year by year renewal because Brian Flynn stated he'd have to wait until the end of the year when Mattel are done and they hand it back to WB. Obviously he knows the inside deal and he likely knew that Mattel would give it up once Matty closes to state that. Remember they are still selling ThunderCats product on Matty as of now and still need the license to do so, so until 1st January the license is still at Mattel.

Mattel has nothing to do with talks between Super7 and WB. Though I have no idea how using the MOTUC molds that Mattel owns would work for making ThunderCats figures which is a license from a different company away from Mattel. We really don't know what the contract included that Super7 signed with Mattel and whether there was a clause in it that allows Super7 unlimited use of the molds regardless of what toy line it is for...

As far as I'm aware, the 4H are not tied to Mattel and can do projects away from Mattel. I'm quite certain they are freelance and NOT Mattel employees. As for the Jaga and Grune prototypes, yes Mattel would own them but again we don't know the ins and outs of the deal between them and Super7. Worst case scenario, the 4H could sculpt them again as the sculpting process isn't as time consuming as other processes in the production time line.

Production from Mattel usually took 8-9 months in total, but the difference with Mattel was the Mattel employees were working on MattyCollector as a side project which was not their main job at the company. Since this is a big deal for Super7, their team would likely be focusing most of their time on these figures which could cut production time down significantly compared to how long it took Mattel. Super7 might be able to have new product out within 6 months. I wouldn't expect to see new ThunderCats until quarter 4 of 2017 at the earliest (although there is a possibility perhaps of getting a 2017 SDCC exclusive if they start on that as soon as they get the license)

Sebastiaan likes this.
  5. sandrockgundam0

sandrockgundam0 Berbill

One of the big things Brian has said was that when Mattel was going after Cats, S7 was also trying to get the license. Mattel ultimately got the rights to the Cats though as we know, but its been in the "plan" for S7 to at least make Reaction style figures, though this was before MOTUC was theirs to make. I assume that Brian already has his foot in the door with WB and will have MOTUC sales and production info to show as a way to goad WB into letting them take a crack. Its a low risk venture for WB at this point, they know what's going to be made and have a solid partner lined up with S7.

6. AutobotC5

AutobotC5 Junior Member

Well, if you look at MOTUC as a sort-of guide...the first S7 figures there are not really anything new. They're a repackaging of different existing bits into new boxes, if you will. I don't see that happening with TC, unless they reissue Lion-O and/or Mumm-Ra. It would almost have to be new figures right out of the gate. I also wonder, should S7 obtain the license, if they will be entitled to any unsold Matty stock.

Blackiecats is correct, the 4H are not Mattel employees, though they may currently have agreements/contracts with them. I would surmise that any MOTUC agreements they have will shift to S7 though, once Matty closes up shop. Same with TC, assuming S7 is able to pick up the license.

I'm most curious as to the figure tooling/engineering/etc. aspect of the whole thing. It would be good to know the details of how S7 plans to use existing Mattel tooling for MOTUC going forward, and who will be doing the tool work for any new MOTUC items S7 develops, as that may shed some light on how they would handle TC. I.e., will S7 do the product development/marketing/packaging/selling, but Mattel still handle the engineering/tooling/production?

Sebastiaan and Thunderpants like this.
  7. Thunderpants

Thunderpants Junior Member

Good point. We may want Thundercats to wait a bit anyway, depending on what kind of QC, production, and distribution issues come up with the transitioning of the MOTUC stuff to S7.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  8. Sebastiaan

I agree with almost all the comments here. I too think that S7 may want to see how things go with their MOTUC line before announcing their TC plans. That is, to add, if they got the licence. If I were them I would rather start off with the core characters. Heck, they can release 2 waves of them. Slithe, Monkian, Vultureman, Rataro, Mumm-Ra the Everliving and Ma-mutt as the villians (oh yes, and Grune of course), with Bengali, Lynx-O, Tygra, Cheetara, Jaga and Snarfer / Snarf as the last of the good guys. That makes 14 figures. The little ones can even become a 2 pack / 3 pack if they wish. This could be a year's worth of figures if they released one every month, or 4 every quarter (naturally with the figures grouped accordingly to fill out the quantities correctly). I would be most happy with this line up but would beg for a Claudus, Willa & Nayda, Jagara and even Captains Shiner & Cracker. Not to mention the Lunataks. Either way, it makes sense for S7 to test the waters with MOTUC and then give us TC. I really do need Bengali and Lynx-O though - it would be horrible to have Pumyra as the only new ThunderCat.

9. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

4H makes their own original figures without a pre-existing IP, so yeah, I doubt there's any kind of exclusivity clause.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  10. InnocentSmith

InnocentSmith New Member

This
    Question: Thundercats?? Thundercats!? Thundercats?!
    We are working hard to secure the rights to continue the Thundercats line. We hope to have an announcement soon!

o_O

Also, hi everyone, I'm new around here!

Sebastiaan and Chase W like this.
  11. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Thanks for sharing. Although it's not new news I am certainly optimistic!

12. InnocentSmith

InnocentSmith New Member

Well it was posted today on Super7 website so I guess it qualifies as "new" News? Or perhaps it was available somewhere else before but I missed it, anyways I'm certainly optimistic as well having subbed for the MattyCollector line!

13. luketommo2

luketommo2 Vortex Explorer

Took me a while to find it but if you go on the Super 7 Facebook page it's under the MOTU FAQ about half way down.

ITS LOOKING PROMISING!!!!!
    It isn't a no and they are hoping to announce something soon

Sebastiaan likes this.
  14. Sebastiaan

It definitely is "new" news. Although a repeat of previous news in a way, before they said they're looking into it, now they're saying they're working hard at securing it. So there must have been some movement. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WB give them the license!

15. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

I'm sure S7 has been nagged to death with this question, which is good because it shows that the level of interest is really high. This is very promising and Infeel very good that the line will continue at least through a wave 2 but hopefully beyond that! Looking around the interwebs you can see that there is huge support for Thundercats classics to continue. That will show WB that the property still has a draw when done right. I also think S7 will really listen to fan feedback and address issues with the line.

16. Thunderpants

Thunderpants Junior Member

If we get a wave 2, it's more than likely that we will see further waves. The license needs to pay for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sebastiaan likes this.
  17. TheHainted

TheHainted New Member

Really good news. I did not bite when Mattel had rights as I refuse to deal with subpar at best digital river. I will be buying the Mattel Cats once we see that Super 7 has secured rights.

18. Sebastiaan

I'm also thinking that we may get 2 or 3 waves from S7. I doubt they'll release both Tygra and Cheetara first, but I have an idea that they may go this route:

Wave 2:
    Cheetara
    Monkian
    Bengali
    Grune

Wave 3:
    Jaga
    Mumm-Ra Ever living
    Lynx-O
    Vultureman

Wave 4:
    Tygra
    Slithe
    Snarf & Ma-mutt
    Rataro or Claudus

It makes sense to release them like this. Heck, they can even split the last wave into 2 packs for all we know and have exclusives at SDCC this and next year. If they go past this line up, I will be thrilled. They may only stick to the core ones, but I have an idea they'll release them quarterly (or biannually) and only give us 4 at a go to make it affordable.

19. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

They should have Jaga and Grune mostly, if not completely, done since they were originally expected to be in the first wave of figures, so I'd expect them both to be in the next wave.

Sebastiaan and adssse like this.
  20. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I would be pretty happy with that list although there are still Lunataks and Quickpick etc I would really like!

Sebastiaan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.