Possible Super 7 ThunderCats line

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I hope so, those are two of my favorites!

Sebastiaan likes this.
  2. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

I think either Tygra or Cheetara needs to be in the first wave for certain. Then I'd expect the rest to be something like Mumm-Ra the Everliving, Grune and Bengali or Lynx-O.
    They could give us Jaga as a convention exclusive.

Sebastiaan and adssse like this.
  3. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

Please no more new characters as Con exclusives. Repaints and variants only.

Mark M and adssse like this.
  4. blackiecats

That's like saying you'd sooner x character never get made at all if it's a convention exclusive. A small collector line with a limited customer base needs to utilise every possible slot to get as many characters made as possible. The only reason we got the Thunderkittens from Mattel was because they were intended for SDCC.
    There isn't a market for repaints and variants (well I personally do not think there is) so I'd consider releasing such figures as wasted slots. Jaga you could release both versions, but that's the only character a repaint would work with.

5. AutobotC5

AutobotC5 Junior Member

Um, red-suit Lion-O? ;)

To your point, a line as small as TC would be more apt to prompt exclusives that are first-run characters. But WERE the Kittens always intended as an SDCC exclusive? I'm speculating here, but I think the Kittens were likely going to be a regular release for 2017, perhaps even the TC Subscription exclusive for this year. When the decision came to shutter Matty, they opted to get them out as an SDCC exclusive instead. Otherwise, why didn't we get a Grune vs Jaga set, or maybe Jaga and Spirit Jaga 2-pack, or just Jaga singularly, as they were purportedly already completed and to be the next two regular figures released? But...only the Mattel folks could answer that.

Assuming they are able to land the license, I think S7 will take a more even-handed approach. I see them with more of a mindset that the line should be easy to collect, and that Con exclusives should be characters more aimed at the most fervent enthusiasts. Or at least that a Con exclusive is the first place to procure specific figures, but they'll make them more widely available later (much as Matty did with the Kittens, only in a much less annoying way :) ).

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It will be pretty nice if Super 7 can announce something for Thundercats at Toy Fair next month. :D

Ianm1225 likes this.
  7. blackiecats

Not for me. I didn't waste my money on the Bandai version so certainly won't if Super7 go that route too.

Yes they were and I'm NOT speculating. MattyCollector as a rule always tries to make the smaller and 100% new parts characters as the SDCC exclusive because they have an higher budget to spend on it's production. Had the SDCC slot not been greenlit, then we likely would not have got the Kittens made. When a 100% new parts character is made I'm happy as it means one step closer to guaranteeing a complete collection and it's the characters that need new parts that would stop it from becoming a reality.

8. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I would actually really like a red Lion-O. I bought 2 of the Bandai version and likely would again if S7 produces him. I know he is just a repaint but I have great nostalgic memories of him and that episode as a child. Find Memories and The Ghost Warrior were two of my favorites (which is why I need Grune and Jaga also )

Sebastiaan and Mark M like this.
  9. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

As much as I'd like to see a red Lion-O in the future I do hope they use the cons to get out some figures that would help expand the line. I think a Berbil set would be a great way to them into the collection without taking up valuable slots for the year. I'd even be all for Driller, Mandora w/ bike or the Mad Bubbler just to get some of those characters out there faster.

Sebastiaan and Mark M like this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

A Berbil set would be amazing. :D

Serval and Sebastiaan like this.
  11. balgus82

Exclusives only serve to limit how many people get the figures. Sorry, but I would rather it not exist at all than knowing it's out there but that I'll never be able to get it. Maybe they can make niche characters exclusives, but not members of the main teams.

12. AutobotC5

AutobotC5 Junior Member

Ah, that wasn't clear. Thought you were talking in general, not specifically. :)
    So noted. Thanks for the info. :)

13. 13977

13977 Active Member

I really hope Super7 get the Thundercats license. It could be a good license for them. Not only would they be able to continue Classics but do also MUSCLE and Kenner style figures as well.
    If any work was started on Jaga and Grune then it would make sense that they'd be in the first wave. And I'd be happy with that as they are two of my most wanted figures. I was gutted when they got cut from the Matty sub.

No I wouldn't buy a Red Lino-O variant either. TBH the only TC variant I probably would buy is Jaga in normal and spirit versions.
    A Berbil set could also be pretty sweet.

14. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Moderator TC.org Staff

I would love a Red Lion-O. But if I had to choose between him and Cheetara, naturally I would want her first. It is true though - if they used the cons to release a figure that's part of the core line up they should at least have enough available and ensure that everybody can get it. The kittens was a great and poor choice because they may end up as expensive as Mumm-Ra on the secondary market. As long as we're given the opportunity to get our hands on exclusives, that would be great. S7 must realize they have a massive fandom that spreads the globe, and it is unfair to not let those of us who live on the other side of the planet not get our hands on "exclusives" just because something is exclusive. Sure, print a limited run of a figure and don't reprint them. That I would consider exclusive. As much as I would like to get my hands on a Shadow Weaver, if I already owned her it would be upsetting if she is made available again and others who didn't sub now have the chance to buy her. The same with Mumm-Ra. I'm thrilled I subbed and because I did I got him. He is one of my crown pieces and I am happy I got this exclusive. Luckily I had the opportunity to get him - so exclusives should be made available, but to all - and only once, if that is how they consider exclusivity. I guess there are lots of opinions about this and I may be in the minority about it, so feel free to disagree with me. Sometimes other views also help me see things differently.
    Back to the topic, please give us TC S7. Toyfair is in a month and 5 days! Why does January have to have 31 days! An extra day to wait until we can get news!!!

adssse likes this.
  15. balgus82

Sebastiaan, I believe what you're describing are "limited editions," not exclusives.

16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

But if said exclusive was re-released and different from the first release it doesn't affect the already released exclusive figure. King Greyskull is a prime example of that. The second release had different colours and different accessories.
    I can understand fans being annoyed if an exclusive was re-released and significantly cheaper than what they had to pay for it. Like international fans having to buy through eBay etc. Exclusives should just be kept to conventions as in a standard release character getting a repaint etc.

17. Serval

Serval Crabman

A Berbil set would be my top choice. Also, I would be very pleased with a SDCC Snowman/Snow Meow deluxe set or a Mandora/Bike deluxe set. Snarf/Snarfer or Snarf/Ma-mutt are viable candidates.

Mark M likes this.
  18. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Moderator TC.org Staff

Mmmm, I'm probably a bit confused with the terminology then. Or I didn't express myself properly. Either way, as far as I understand exclusives are releases exclusively to a con or event and can only be bought there, while the limited editions is just a limited run of an item. Naturally exclusives are also limited editions in a way since they are also a limited run but the only difference as I understand it is that they're not available everywhere - they can just be bought at the event they're made available at. Did I get that right Balgus82? Feel free to correct me, I'm not an expert in this field lol :)

19. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Hey all, Brian Flynn was on the newest He-Man.org Roast Google Dinner Podcast and was asked about the Thundercats. He said he had a very positive meeting with WB and presented them a layout for the line going forward and is just waiting to hear back. So not an official announcement but a very positive sign of things slowly moving along!!

adssse likes this.
  20. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

That's definitely a positive sign! I would think that WB would want the line to continue as well. Of course unfortunately these things are all about money to WB so I'll be saying my prayers it gets worked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.