Powercon

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

Not sure where to post this, so feel free to move it, but since it's relating to the possible S7 line of TC, or even the Mattel ones, I thought of posting it here.
    I know that there will be a figure (or 2) released for MOTUC at Powercon, and that their motto for these figures have always been that it can be a repaint or mixture of existing parts. And not of a very wanted figure.
    Also, I heard, and please verify this or correct me, that the Powercon figures have always been decided on by Val and the gang who run the event. And that they had the right to produce these without needing approval / licencing for these figures. Not entire sure about that, but this is where my thinking is leading me:
    Since Powercon ALSO features ThunderCats, what do you think are the chances of getting a TC exclusive here? If you go by what the rules are of these figures, we could possibly get a Red Lion-O or an army builder mutant of Jackalman. Those would be pure repaints, rights?
    Because these are Mattel figures, do you think that Powercon's team has the right to produce such figures? Wouldn't it be awesome to get these here and have a better presence of ThunderCats at this event too? If S7 gets the licence, they may just as well release one of the two options mentioned. I doubt they'll release any other versions of the existing figures - perhaps a repainted / corrected Wilykat sleeve.... Or a shorter Pumyra....

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Cool idea Sebastiaan but some how I doubt they would bother with a Thundercats figure for the exclusive. I think it would probably be something geared more for the MOTU fans.

3. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

Any outlet there is for figures should be utilized, but I feel like this is counting chickens before they hatch.

4. Sebastiaan

I hear what you're saying, and certainly not counting chickens just yet :) What I'm wondering though is - should S7 not get the licence, would somebody like Powercon need any approval to still release a powercon exclusive like a red Lion-O? I mean, I'm not sure if they have to get approval because it is privately funded as I read somewhere. I may be wrong here, so correct me if I am. Or even if there is still a delay in getting the licence sorted, could they still release something without any approval? Isn't Powercon supposed to be for all three cartoons? Not just MOTU and POP?

5. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

I would think they would need the license just the same as anyone else.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  6. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

The figures are chosen by Power-Con and Super7 from what I understand. Then Super7 produce them for Power-Con (so all rights and licensing etc... is with Super7). It's basically extra figures which the convention funds production of.

As for ThunderCats, it no longer has a presence at Power-Con as far as I know.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  7. Sebastiaan

Here's hoping that when S7 announce the licence in July that Power-Con will have something included next year. It would be a good opportunity for S7 to push TC presence at that con as well since it will benefit them too. The future is almost bright!

8. Sebastiaan

It's over a year later and the only presence TC will have is Joe's custom Snarf and Berbils. At least it is something, right?

Ianm1225 likes this.
  9. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

If Mattel ultimately can't get something together, and no one else can either, it's good to see unofficial options. I'm guessing he's found it surprisingly lucrative.

10. Sebastiaan

Ironic that before they revealed ThunderCats at Powercon that I reopened this old thread. Jaga must be smiling down on us

thezaxfactor likes this.