Pumyra or Cheetara?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by Omega-Red, May 6, 2012.

1. Omega-Red

Omega-Red New Member

Now that the show has two leading ladies, which one do you like more? Personally, I loved Cheetara but couldn't care less about Pumyra in the OS but in the new series I find myself feeling completely opposite about the two. Cheetara just seems like a Mary Sue character without any depth or character while Pumyra brings a unique sense of hot-hotheadedness and badassery to the group. Not to mention Pumyra seems easier on the eyes compared to Cheetara.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. Tommyx13

Tommyx13 Junior Member

Pumyra! I always loved her in the original series and was always disappointed that they didnt do more with her. So far, only two episodes in, she is really great in the new series and looks to be one of my favorite characters.

3. Tygrafan

Tygrafan Junior Member

IMO it's too early to decide. We don't know their personality. Pumyra was just introduced and I'm sure we haven't seen all sides of Cheetara.

4. Tygrastripes

Tygrastripes Barbarian

I am deeply in love with this new Pumyra, she's fiesty, brash and man is she beautiful! I love how she tends to tap into that primal side, growling, hissing and spitting like one of the boys and I'd love to see Cheetara let lose like this in a grave situation, though it isn't likely, seeing as though it would be in direct opposition to who she is. Oddly enough I love Cheetara's stillness with Tygra's stormy personality, she's able to soothe him in distress and anger, and I think if Pumyra and Lion-O become a pair her wild energy will be exactly what Lion-O needs to perfect a sense of cool collectiveness and patience and grow to be a great king.

I still favor Cheetara, something about the mystical, enigmatic cleric that just wins me. And I can't really say who's prettier, they both have a different kind of beauty, Pumyra has kind of a dark, deep beauty associated often with more outgoing/older/experienced women while Cheetara has almost a light, soft look (associated more often with younger women usually) that fits with hermore patient/mellow personality.

That being said I REALLY cannot wait to see Cheetara's story fleshed out I'm sure I'll only like her more after.

5. chique

chique Thunderian Legend

I picked Pumyra...:(

It sucks because Cheetara has the potential for so many interesting stories and what not. I'm just waiting for her to make her own mark on this franchise. She's just a tad bit boring.

Pumyra on the other hand is loads of fun! She's not perfect, and if last episode is any indication, we're going to spend some time changing her for the better.

She better keep that hot hotheadedness.

6. hammy0924

hammy0924 Ultimate No-Life

Pumyra hands down. She's so awesome. I like Cheetara but Pumyra just pushes everything to a new level. She has her problems, but she's definitely one of the best fighters. Overall, her character is pulled off so well and it's nice to finally have a semi-crazy (at least when it comes to revenge) girl on the team.

I was somewhat getting tired with Cheetara. The newest episode helped, but I don't like her character near as much as Pumyra. Cheetara is far from a boring character, but she seems to be almost too mature at some points. I can also point out that she did flirt with Lion-O before the whole love triangle thing happened, and to completely blow it off that it was just "encouragement" was slightly ridiculous (not bashing the writers).

It just seems like Pumyra is a good fit for the cats and that she'll only get better from here on out.

7. Sir_Sapphire

Sir_Sapphire Plun-Darr Legend

I have been, and always shall be, a Pumyra fanboy.

8. hammy0924

I think just the pure contrast from the OS to the NS makes me like Pumyra more than Cheetara.

9. AnonymousIncogn

AnonymousIncogn Active Member

The opinion of AnonymousIncognito

Picked Pumyra only because I am disgusted with the way the staff turned Cheetara from such a dynamic and interesting charcter in the 80's into a lackluster, oblivious, shallow, and foolish character ready to turn her back on her friends and her duties at the drop of a Thunderian hat all because she is hot-crotched for an arrogant, jealous, spoiled, selfish, racist, bigot of a tiger that gave her a friggin flower 10 years prior.

In my opinion, the writers and producers assassinated Cheetara's character way to much. I only hope there is time left to redeem her.

10. hammy0924

Dang, calm down! Tygra isn't that bad! It seems like you're still mad over "Between Brothers" and haven't seen many episodes since then.

Tygra helped her get her place with the clerics. If it weren't for him, she would've probably ended up on the streets. He also rescued her multiple times throughout the season. Lion-O (who I am a HUGE fan of, by the way) did not do anything to get Cheetara to like him.

Also, Cheetara is not lackluster, foolish, shallow, or oblivious. These are the exact opposite of what she is. Sure, we don't know much about her and her story hasn't been expanded on much, but she added the feminine touch to the team that wasn't quite there.

I personally voted for Pumyra but seriously, you have the completely wrong views about this show.

11. cloudraker19

cloudraker19 Crabman

Im totally digging Pumyra right now. I hardly remember her character in the OS, other than somewhat of a blank slate. Her new edge is awesome, and she's a great addition to the team.

12. Dragon78

Dragon78 Barbarian

I voted for Cheetara for this series, if it was the original it would be Pumyra.

I do not like that Pumyra has had more character devolement in these two episodes then Cheetara has had this whole season so far.

13. hammy0924

Um, we know a good amount about Cheetara's backstory, yet nothing on Pumyra besides that she was a slave. However, I do believe they are giving Pumyra more development because she had close to zero development in the OS.

14. AnonymousIncogn

The Opinion of AnonymousIncognito

I agree with you but I DO bash the writers for this as well as the producers.

For them to establish over the course of 11 episodes that there was a growing relationship between Lion-O and Cheetara only to retcon those 11 episodes during the last 2 all thanks to 5 minutes worth of flashbacks culminating in a flower being the reason Cheetara chose Tygra was pure character assassination. And the excuse she spews in "New Alliances" just rubbed salt on the wounds. The entire "love triangle" was a sterling example of all around poor writing.

Would have been nice to see Lion-O have a chance just one to be chosen for who he is and not for the legacy that he didn't ask for but had thrust upon him anyway.

One of my biggest frustartions are those people who think "Lion-O got the crown and sword so Tygra should get the girl. That's fair"

Lion-O didn't WANT the sword or the crown, Tygra did. Lion-O didn't WANT to be king, Tygra did. Just because Lion-O got what Tygra wanted is no reason for Tygra to get what Lion-O wanted. Nothing "fair" about it.

Hopefully, the Tygra fans will respect my opinion and not rend me limb from limb for not worshipping the striped failure.
    Merged Post:

Respectfully disagree. We know very little of Cheetara's backstory. Thus far all we know about her backstory is that she trained to be a cleric from a young age and that Tygra won her heart by giving her a flower during the same time he tried to kill his brother Lion-O.
    Merged Post:

I agree with you about Cheetara being portrayed as a Mary Sue. I blame her character assassination on the writers for this.

15. hammy0924

He's not a failure just because he wasn't born into Thunderian royalty. You can't always get what you want, and that's just a fact of life. Just because Lion-O wanted Cheetara because of a grand total of about 3 minutes of her flirting doesn't justify for Tygra basically saving her from ending up like WilyKit and WilyKat. It's completely fair that he gets Cheetara.

The writing for the love triangle added a unique twist. Just because "the main character doesn't get the girl because that's how it always is and how I want it to be" didn't happen doesn't mean it's bad writing.

Plus, her excuse sounded pathetic because it was just an awkward moment to say it. Her explanation was exactly why she was close to Lion-O, and Lion-O (at the time) acted very immature about it, much like you.

All the characters in the series are over the love triangle, so maybe you should be too.

16. AnonymousIncogn

"Dang, calm down! Tygra isn't that bad! It seems like you're still mad over "Between Brothers" and haven't seen many episodes since then."

We all have varying opinions and mine is that Tygra is that bad of a character now. Your opinion is that Tygra isn't hat bad, mine is that he is.
    I've seen every episode since "Between brothers." That is why I called Tygra a racist bigot because as we saw in "The Pit" just as we saw in the Pilot episodes, Tygra is a racist bigot.

"Tygra helped her get her place with the clerics. If it weren't for him, she would've probably ended up on the streets. He also rescued her multiple times throughout the season. Lion-O (who I am a HUGE fan of, by the way) did not do anything to get Cheetara to like him."

Again, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Tyra did NOTHING to help her join the clericy. Sorry but stalking her and giving her a flower is NOT doing something to get her a place with the clerics. If he had gone to Claudus or Jaga, THAT would have been doing soemthing to get her a place with the clerics.

Rescued her multiple times throughout the series? The only Tygra rescued Cheetara was when he caught her as she fell - ONCE.
    Lion-O didn't do anything to get Cheetara to like him? I guess all those interactions between the two were just figments of the imagination? I guess Lion-O accepting and seeing Cheetara as an equal and better was him just doing nothing. I guess Lion-O seeking out Cheetara's company more than anyone elses was just nothing at all.

Now, allow me to ask you this, what has Tygra done since the pilot episode to show why Cheetara should like him? (I'm not asking for the flashback scenes, I'm asking for what he has done during the course of the groups adventures)

"Also, Cheetara is not lackluster, foolish, shallow, or oblivious. These are the exact opposite of what she is. Sure, we don't know much about her and her story hasn't been expanded on much, but she added the feminine touch to the team that wasn't quite there."

Again, you are presenting your opinions as fact and they are hardly that.

Allow me to present my opinion as opinion:
    A feminie touch does not discount how the writers have presented her. Her character at this point has no background beyond a 5 minute flower flashback. Thus her character is lackluster.
    The way she is portrayed handling Lion-O as well as the love triangle shows her to be foolish, shallow and oblivious. not to mention treasonous as we witnessed when she betrayed Lion-O to save Tygra. if it hadn't been for Panthro (who none knew was coming) ALL three cats would be dead all thanks to Cheetara.

"I personally voted for Pumyra but seriously, you have the completely wrong views about this show."

No, I simply have a different view of the show than you. That doesn't make me wrong at all.

Pull back your Ty/Chee claws kiddo.

17. hammy0924

I mean, she has been somewhat annoying and slightly foolish, but nothing detrimental to the story. And "just a five minute flashback?" We learned everything we need to know about Tygra in a five minute flashback. Same with WilyKit and WilyKat.

To come on and just bash Tygra and Cheetara is immature and not necessary. If you would have just said "I voted Pumyra because Cheetara is boring and I don't like how she ended up with Tygra", it would have been fine. If you want to start arguments on here, then start a thread about how bad Tygra and Cheetara are.

18. AnonymousIncogn

Even though Tygra wasn't born into royalty, he was treated far better than Lion-O ever was. Again, it has been shown in the series that Cladus, the court, the generals, and the people all favored Tygra over Lion-O.

If you watch the very first episode, it establishes Lion-O's basis of feelings towards Cheetara thus, it establishes that without ANY flirting, there was a connection and that he was smitten.

I'm still confused about these extra scenes only you seem to be privy to showing Tygra being the reason Cheetara became a cleric and saving her from becoming like Kit and Kat. She was already planning on becoming a cleric prior to meeting Tygra. She decided ON HER OWN to show Jaga she had the patience to be a cleric. Sorry but Tygra giving her a flower does not merit in any way helping her to become a cleric. He didn't even know the properties of the Day Astrid flower thus, he didn't know the flower petals would keep her alive.
    All in all, NO it is not fair.

Actually, the love triangle WAS an example of bad writing not because of how it turned out but the WAY it turned out. As I pointed out, 11 episodes tease the fans that Lion-o and Cheetara are becoming closer. They even went so far as to have WillyKit and Kat approve of the growing relationship between Lion-O and Cheetara in the episode where Cheetraa helps him harness Sight beyond Sight (now compare that to New Alliances where both Kittens are openly displeased with TY/Chee) Not to mention the fact that in the season finale, even Tygra thought Cheetara picked Lion-O based on their interactions. But thanks to 5 minutes worth of flashbacks in the last two episodes we see that because Tygra gave Cheetara a flower at the same age he tried to kill Lion-O and that won her heart - even though she says hshe is aware of what occured in the Astral Plain thus she is aware Tygra tried to kill Lion-O.

Her excuse sounded pathetic because it was pathetic. I find it interesting that at no time prior to Cheetara explaining to Lion-o that he affections were because it was her job did ANY fan post ANY comment along those lines yet after, all you Ty/Chh fans crawl out of the woodwork to proclaim you knew it the entire time.

"acted very immature about it, much like you."
    Ah yes, immature attempts at insults. Can't say I'm at all surprised you resort to such childish actions...

"All the characters in the series are over the love triangle, so maybe you should be too."
    Well, that line shows you haven't watched the Curse of Ratill-O episode yet.

19. hammy0924

You mean the episode where they show the rats beating the cats, Tygra and Cheetara go into the mine by themselves and Tygra denies the curses and they find the sword of Plundarr. And also, Pumyra, Lion-O and Panthro get captured by Mordax and Rataro but escape due to the mine collapsing and Mordax ends up not killing Lion-O due to his mercy? Yep, seen it four times. Lion-O told Cheetara "good luck" to show he had no hard feelings.

Look, I'm tired of arguing, but if you find Tygra and Cheetara as such a drawback to the show, then don't watch it.

20. Rizefall

Rizefall Swedish Meatball

Cheetara. More of an interesting character to me, much more fun abilities, like her connection with jaga and tygra etc etc.

I just dont see people loving Pumyra, have seen nothing of her and these fanboys are just drooling already. The only thing she has done is being angry, done some what looks like flirting with Lion-o, been more angry, punched and used her weapon some.

Sorry i just dont see it, i dont wanna discuss it either.