Question about ThunderCats HO! the movie

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Wilycub, Jun 8, 2016.

1. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

What do you guys suppose was the purpose of the "movie edit" version of "Mumm-Ra Lives!" ending the way that it did? I dunno if it could even be called a "cliffhanger". It just sorta ends 3/4 of the way through part 3. Were they hoping to encourage kids to tune into the regular time slot to see the resolution?

2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Quite true.

3. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

The version on Amazon cuts off atr episode 3, but the movie was definitely on Toonami and had all 5.

4. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Hello ButterflyBoy!Long time not seeing you :)

5. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

Thanks! Yeah, I took a bit of a hiatus. Thanks for the welcome back!

6. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

I find it intriguing that when 5-parters of 80s cartoons got edited together, they cut out a few bits here and there.

Here in the UK, we only ever had the first season shown on the BBC. Thundercats Ho! was released on VHS though in its composite edited-together form.

I'd imagine that in the US it would have been aired both individually and as a single entity, as they were clearly designed to work both ways.

The reason for cutting bits out in the edited-together version, I think comes down to one thing - making space for commercial breaks. Obviously that's not an issue on VHS or DVD, or even on the BBC, but on commercial TV stations, then they'll happily trim a few non-essential scenes if they can get it down to about 90min runtime for a 2hr slot with breaks factored in.

I have "movie" adventures of Defenders Of The Earth, which follow the same principles, about 20min of actual episode footage individually, but edited together into a single feature-length adventure, weighing in at just over 90min.

7. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

Forgive me Liam, if I am misunderstanding, but why was the VHS cut then...

8. Booshman

If they already edited it for TV and took some stuff out, I imagine they just used that master for the VHS, Why go back and edit the extra scenes back in?

9. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

But they didn’t... the tv airings included the extra footage, it was cut for the vhs which I don’t get

10. LiamABC

The individual episodes were aired uncut, not the feature-length presentation.

11. Booshman

Precisely. The only extra work they did for the VHS release was t cut out Pantho's nun-chucks from the intro.

LiamABC likes this.
  12. LiamABC

They did that for every episode, but for some reason didn't replace them with anything here, so the theme song is missing the second "Thundercats are loose"!

13. Booshman

Yeah, as a kid,I thought there was something wrong with my tape, it wasn't until years later I realised what the issue was.

14. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

What came first in the states?